HELP US elective visa type?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farthing92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've arranged to undertake my medical elective in the USA this summer.

On the US Embassy website it states that students completing a medical elective can travel under a B1 visa, and if you are a citizen of a visa waiver program country, you can travel under the ESTA.

However it says that you must carry a letter from the U.S. Medical School you are completing your elective with. I am completing my elective with 2 different family physicians and made the arrangements with them personally, I have not gone through a medical school in the U.S.

Is it acceptable to travel under the Visa Waiver Program and carry letters from the physicians and my own UK medical school, or do I need a visa?!

Members don't see this ad.

I am not an expert, but from my review I believe ESTA is perfectly fine. As long as you'll be staying less than 90 days, have clear documentation of what you'll be doing in the US, and (perhaps most importantly) have clear documentation that you'll be leaving at the end, you should have no problem.

But, just so we're clear, the value of working with a private doc in their office will be very limited. If the doc knows what they are doing, you will not be able to touch or interact with patients other than observing. Anything else is technically "practicing medicine" and requires a medical license or the umbrella of a medical school. You will not be able to document in the medical record. Plus, you will have no malpractice insurance. That said, these docs can do anything they want.

Bottom line is that it is usually much better to arrange a rotation through a medical school. That gives you all the "rights" of a medical student and letters from true rotations carry more weight. Also understand that letters from community based FP's will only help you apply to FP -- if your plan is to apply to some other field, you definitely need a new plan.

Reactions: 1 user
I was just going to make the same comment about doing rotations with a PP physician. In determining eligibility for US medical licensure, many states, if not most, require that rotations be completed at "green book" sites.

I have some personal experience here in that a Australian medical school classmate completed an elective with a family friend in the states and this was not counted toward the required number of clinical hours. Fortunately he had enough hours total but had he not had, it would have meant extending his medical school training,

Therefore, if your future plans include coming to the United States for residency please be advised that these rotations are generally not considered adequate when calculating the minimum number of clinical hours required for a US medical license.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the advice. That seems to be the reply in getting from most sources, so I think I'll be safe to go with that. I just wanted to make sure!

As for the experience itself, I am set on becoming a general practitioner in England. I am viewing this as a valuable teaching experience rather than clinical practice. I want to learn about the differences between primary care in the UK and USA, and enhance my knowledge of common primary care conditions. That being said, I do have medical indemnity cover for my elective and have been speaking with one of my doctors about having a more active role when he has been able to assess my level.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for the advice. That seems to be the reply in getting from most sources, so I think I'll be safe to go with that. I just wanted to make sure!

As for the experience itself, I am set on becoming a general practitioner in England. I am viewing this as a valuable teaching experience rather than clinical practice. I want to learn about the differences between primary care in the UK and USA, and enhance my knowledge of common primary care conditions. That being said, I do have medical indemnity cover for my elective and have been speaking with one of my doctors about having a more active role when he has been able to assess my level.

Hi Farthing92,

Was wondering if you were successful in completing your medical elective under the ESTA in the end?