Help Wanted - Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old Timer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys:

I am aware of a position that will be available soon in the Philadelphia Market. If you are looking at Philly for a job and you are a hard worker, please send me a PM and I can arrange an interview. After that it's up to you. If you want to know if I am serious, you can ask Mikey (WVUPharm2007). You have to have the right attitude, abilities and be willing to work hard enough to get the job done. This is the best district tow work in.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awww...I was hoping you were talking about a clinical position. Well, seems like there's a few of those now as well. Thankfully the market is looking better now that most of the graduating PGY-1s found jobs.

Guy's, I'll be off the electronic grid until Saturday Night. I will not respond to anything before then.

To be serious and to agree with OT...this is honestly a decent district to work in. I read people complaining on here about their working conditions or heinous bosses all the time with CVS and I honestly just can't relate with it at all. Our supervisor is legitimately a decent, completely reasonable dude. If you do your job reasonably well and don't do something idiotic, he will leave you alone and let you do what you do. And any time some irrational crack head complained to corporate that I wouldn't give them their oxycodone at 12:01AM, he's had my back and politely told them to pound sand in my stead. That's pretty much all I ever wanted from a boss.

Our supervisor is legitimately a decent, completely reasonable dude. If you do your job reasonably well and don't do something idiotic, he will leave you alone and let you do what you do. And any time some irrational crack head complained to corporate that I wouldn't give them their oxycodone at 12:01AM, he's had my back and politely told them to pound sand in my stead.

Ditto here. My sup has never harassed me about the metrics or anything like that. The few complaints I have had, he just asks me what happened and I tell him. I always got the impression he was listening to what I tell him and has always supported whatever call I made. Really a very reasonable guy.

I don't know where the disconnect is, because CVS has never been the hell on earth for me that SDN promises. Just lucky I guess.

I have never been harassed about any of that either.

My Readyfill is not at target and my extracare card is ****. It is my best interest to enroll people in readyfill because it means less phone calls for me, less waiters (I hate people coming in asking me to fill 10 of their bp, cholesterol, vitamin, and anti depressant at once and wants to wait for it), and things in stock so less customer complaints.

My supervisor trusts me to do what is right for my pharmacy.

Ditto here. My sup has never harassed me about the metrics or anything like that. The few complaints I have had, he just asks me what happened and I tell him. I always got the impression he was listening to what I tell him and has always supported whatever call I made. Really a very reasonable guy.

I don't know where the disconnect is, because CVS has never been the hell on earth for me that SDN promises. Just lucky I guess.

Agreed. I think most supervisors understand that we go out of the way to help our patients.

We do occasionally get complaints.... and I will defend what I think is right, or I will tell my sup that I will follow up appropriately and put things in place to prevent it from happening again if it is our mistake.

I also appreciate our customer service people backing us up on controls. I had a customer who complained to the customer line about how we are not filling her Percocets. The customer service agent just said... we fully support our pharmacists decision to not fill any scripts they don't feel comfortable with. I laughed when I realized the customer knows she is powerless and can not complain to get things her way because she wants to.

Agreed. I think most supervisors understand that we go out of the way to help our patients.

I also appreciate our customer service people backing us up on controls. I had a customer who complained to the customer line about how we are not filling her Percocets. The customer service agent just said... we fully support our pharmacists decision to not fill any scripts they don't feel comfortable with. I laughed when I realized the customer knows she is powerless and can not complain to get things her way because she wants to.

That wasn't the case with my most recent complaint. A patient who was doctor shopping for her oxycodone complained to CVS corporate and my sup sent me the complaint and asked why I refused her oxy. I explained to her the situation. Then corporate wanted me to follow up with the patient and my sup agreed.

I just responded back to both emails with the reply, "corresponding responsibility."

There are good sups. I worked under one. But there are the crazy ones who literally send every PIC 10-12 emails daily, even for the good stores, and I'm working under one right now.

Always 2 sides of the coin. But definitely there are good sups and districts, and vice versa.

That wasn't the case with my most recent complaint. A patient who was doctor shopping for her oxycodone complained to CVS corporate and my sup sent me the complaint and asked why I refused her oxy. I explained to her the situation. Then corporate wanted me to follow up with the patient and my sup agreed.

I just responded back to both emails with the reply, "corresponding responsibility."

There are good sups. I worked under one. But there are the crazy ones who literally send every PIC 10-12 emails daily, even for the good stores, and I'm working under one right now.

Always 2 sides of the coin. But definitely there are good sups and districts, and vice versa.

If you call the ethics hotline, they would be in deep ****. Under *NO* circumstance is a supervisor, PIC, or anyone allowed to pressure a pharmacist into filling a prescription that, in their professional opinion, is potentially not for a legitimate medical purpose.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you call the ethics hotline, they would be in deep ****. Under *NO* circumstance is a supervisor, PIC, or anyone allowed to pressure a pharmacist into filling a prescription that, in their professional opinion, is potentially not for a legitimate medical purpose.

They wanted me to follow up with the patient. I don't know if you interpret that as pressure to fill, but I felt that was ridiculous to ask me to follow up when I specifically stated that I CURES the patient and she doctor shops. I lost all respect for the sup right then and there.

I just transferred to this district. Not a good way to start off on the right foot with me.

Time to apply for a PA license. Thank you!

I'm kidding. NYC represent.

I guess there is no shortage in PA. Nobody wants a shot at this job. People better stop complaining about having to work in bumstumble Idaho or yenemsville Texas. A job in the Philly burbs with a great boss and good pay and nobody wants it.....

I guess there is no shortage in PA. Nobody wants a shot at this job. People better stop complaining about having to work in bumstumble Idaho or yenemsville Texas. A job in the Philly burbs with a great boss and good pay and nobody wants it.....
I'm curious why the job is so hard to fill that you need to solicit strangers on a forum. Shouldn't your boss have loads of resumes flying into his inbox?

I'm curious why the job is so hard to fill that you need to solicit strangers on a forum. Shouldn't your boss have loads of resumes flying into his inbox?

Solicit strangers? Hey bozo, this forum is the biggest collection of RPH's on the Internet. What better way to get the news out than on here?

And OT's right, with all the people going nuts about how they can't find jobs and "MAY HAVE TO MOVe to ALASKA!!!!" you would think people would be going nuts to get a job in a city.

Solicit strangers? Hey bozo, this forum is the biggest collection of RPH's on the Internet. What better way to get the news out than on here?

And OT's right, with all the people going nuts about how they can't find jobs and "MAY HAVE TO MOVe to ALASKA!!!!" you would think people would be going nuts to get a job in a city.
...exactly my point. Maybe re-read my post. Why not use the channels that 99% of other pharmacies use? If every other CVS manages to staff itself without posts on here (look around, I don't see ANY other job postings here), then why can't this position be filled?

And yes, I would say most of the folks on here are strangers, with a few exceptions. I am sure that a posting on Indeed would turn up 100s of resumes.

I don't think his boss needs solicitation to fill the position. OT was trying to post an opening, which is not usually posted so people know that there is a position.

I do not know how it works in Philly, but the candidate still has to go through the round robin interview to be hired.

He's is looking for the right person. It's how I got WVUPharm2007 his interview. I could tell by his posts he was smart. He admitted he was a night owl and and there was an overnight position available.

No round robin interview. Just one guy.

It's Chicago. EVERYBODY wants to work in Chicago. That is why Chicago has 5+ pharmacy schools. Students every want to come to Chicago to learn, and once they get there.....they never leave. Philadelphia is too old-school, for today's up and coming pharmacists.

Philly in my opinion is the worst corrupt city ever. They get you in parking tickets and civil forfeiture laws. Cops are all bad.

How do people live there?

Philly in my opinion is the worst corrupt city ever. They get you in parking tickets and civil forfeiture laws. Cops are all bad.

One time before I got into pharmacy school I was interviewing at Jefferson. I told the interviewer that I couldn't find quarters for parking so I just took a plastic bag and covered the meter with it. They gave me some quarters and told me to run out and fill the meter otherwise they'd tow my car or some bs.

In New York, the bag over the meter trick still works since a lot of the meter maids would be too lazy to check if it's broken or not.

You complain about Philly tickets? I got a 300 dollar ticket in SF because there was a pedestrian on the other side of the road waiting to cross (not crossing yet), and I didn't notice her.

Seriously, Philly is a great city, and I am definitely considering moving back if I get the chance.

You complain about Philly tickets? I got a 300 dollar ticket in SF because there was a pedestrian on the other side of the road waiting to cross (not crossing yet), and I didn't notice her.

Seriously, Philly is a great city, and I am definitely considering moving back if I get the chance.

Yep. We're from NYC though. I remember watching a show on TV that pretty much had a camera crew following around metermaids as they gave out parking tickets and the reactions from the public. Guy pulls up to a spot, doesn't pay, runs inside a store intending to come out 2 minutes later, and the metermaid just swoops in and starts writing a ticket.

I've never gotten away with speeding in Pennsylvania. I get pulled over, I'll be getting a ticket no matter what. Excuses and whatnot don't seem to work there.

In NYC, I've gone 140 mph in a 55 zone and gotten away with a warning. (When the officer walked over, I just had a sheepish grin on my face and said "a bit too fast?") Also went, 110 in a 30 before and got no ticket (thank you PBA card from a cop in Internal Affairs). Hell, one time I was straight up street racing down 2nd avenue and passed by a cop who didn't even come after me.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep. We're from NYC though. I remember watching a show on TV that pretty much had a camera crew following around metermaids as they gave out parking tickets and the reactions from the public. Guy pulls up to a spot, doesn't pay, runs inside a store intending to come out 2 minutes later, and the metermaid just swoops in and starts writing a ticket.

I've never gotten away with speeding in Pennsylvania. I get pulled over, I'll be getting a ticket no matter what. Excuses and whatnot don't seem to work there.

In NYC, I've gone 140 mph in a 55 zone and gotten away with a warning. (When the officer walked over, I just had a sheepish grin on my face and said "a bit too fast?") Also went, 110 in a 30 before and got no ticket (thank you PBA card from a cop in Internal Affairs). Hell, one time I was straight up street racing down 2nd avenue and passed by a cop who didn't even come after me.

which is why NYC pawns Philly...

which is why NYC pawns Philly...

In your dreams...... Why Philly rocks:

• Close to NYC without the costs
  • Close to DC without the costs
  • Close to the shore
  • Close to the mountains
  • Great restaurant city
  • Rockin Sports town (All 4 major pro sports + College Basketball)
  • Great place for medical care (4 Univerity hospitals, 2 Pediatric hospitals, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Moss Rehab (#1)
  • Great cost of living: lowest of the 10 largest cities in the US.
We have the best Junk Food:

220px-Philly_style_pretzel.JPG
phillycheesesteak.bmp
images
l.jpg

Best-Hoagie-630w.jpg

water_ice_cherry.jpg

soda-float.png

Then there is just a tad bit of history.....

First20American20Flag202.jpg

and

20071018_declaration.jpg

us%20constitution_0.jpg

mmmmmm, that philly stead & cheese would hit the spot!

Tastykake and Wawa are the two things people from Philadelphia overrate more than anything else.

I don't even remember the last time I went into the city. It's been months. The Northern suburbs are where the best places to live are. I have everything I need within 5 minutes of my house. I don't even go South of the turnpike.

No such thing as a hoagie. It's called a hero. (Still tasty tho. Philly does have good food but NYC is the food capital of the world.)

Are the gun laws in Philly as relaxed as they are in the rest of the state? I wanna move somewhere that is liberal on everything except gun laws.

Tastykake and Wawa are the two things people from Philadelphia overrate more than anything else.

I don't even remember the last time I went into the city. It's been months. The Northern suburbs are where the best places to live are. I have everything I need within 5 minutes of my house. I don't even go South of the turnpike.

Compared to what? Compared to a real bakery Tastykake sucks. Compared to Twinkies, well there is no comparison...... Same with Wawa, compared to what?

Compared to what? Compared to a real bakery Tastykake sucks. Compared to Twinkies, well there is no comparison...... Same with Wawa, compared to what?

Bimbo, Little Debbie, Hostess, Lance... just about everything else is better than Tastykake. Everyone from outside of the 20 mile radius encircling the city thinks this. Bimbo cakes are the reason Mexico passed us in obesity.

And Wawa...Sheetz. I know, you've never had it. Its Wawa with delicious food.

I'm having just as much of a hard time trying to hire a pharmacist to come work in Germany...amazing!

I'm having just as much of a hard time trying to hire a pharmacist to come work in Germany...amazing!

Was that the job at Landstuhl? If so, I saw that posting on USAjobs. Pay seems kinda on the low side, even with housing allowance.

Was that the job at Landstuhl? If so, I saw that posting on USAjobs. Pay seems kinda on the low side, even with housing allowance.

Yeah was that the Landstuhl job for the heme/onc pharmacist? I got an e-mail from this recruiter in Texas but I ignored it since I figured they probably want someone with a PGY2.

Sure was...one of the problems with advertising our positions is that we can't advertise what the complete package is. For example, you saw that the max pay was about 75K. Did you know that all of your housing is paid for and you have the ability to live where ever you want? It's a value of up to 45K a year, tax free. You also get post allowance, which is like a cost of living adjustment due to the Euro to Dollar disadvantage. That's worth an extra 1K a month. THEN there is also recruitment bonus of up to 25% of your salary. Now does it seem competitive?

Yeah was that the Landstuhl job for the heme/onc pharmacist? I got an e-mail from this recruiter in Texas but I ignored it since I figured they probably want someone with a PGY2.

Did it say you HAD to have a PGY2? No it didn't...I never use that as a discriminating factor. I judge people in a whole-istic point of view, not just what type of residency you have.

Did it say you HAD to have a PGY2? No it didn't...I never use that as a discriminating factor. I judge people in a whole-istic point of view, not just what type of residency you have.

Yes, but it did say to apply if you thought you were qualified, which I thought I'm most likely not. If I was to be asked if I had any heme/onc experience as a pharmacist, I would be lying if I said I did.