Help Weighing GPA VS Extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdevil52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a sophomore at a Big 10 University right now. Through my freshman year, I was able to get a 3.94 GPA, and right now I am hopeful that I can maintain or raise that GPA through at least this semester. After this semester, I will have physics, organic chem 2, and biochemistry remaining as far as pre req courses.

My problem, I think, is extracurriculars. I have had a good volunteer experience last summer, and I have a couple of pretty intensive shadowing experiences. I also have a mid level leadership role in a service organization, and I am interested in martial arts, so I am taking classes on the side.

From your experience, do you think that I am doing enough as far as extracurriculars go? I am going to continue volunteering over breaks as well as shadowing the same physician I have worked with before, and I think that these have been fun experiences. But I also realize that I don't have anything that jumps off the page, nor have I been able to secure a research position yet.

I would appreciate any advice. Also, it may help to know that while getting into a top medical school would of course be cool, I don't really mind where I go as long as it is a quality program that ideally isn't too expensive.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. Taper the shadowing though at some point. You only need so much of it, and can then cut it. Instead I would do clinical volunteering plus a non-clinical volunteer activity. Keep those grades up, and it sounds like you're doing well in that department!

Reactions: 1 user
You can also apply for some research internships during the summer to make your profile even better! Overall I think you are doing excellent!