Help! What are my chances? Withdraws, Retakes, & Gap Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bookworm5102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My main concern:
I'm a senior at a top 25 university and originally started off as pre-med. However, I could not handle to the work due to some personal issues I was facing, and I now have the following on my transcript:
*D+ in Biology I
*Withdraws in Biology II and General Chemistry

^This all happened my first year of college, like I said -- I was going through a very difficult time. I dropped pre-med after my freshman year to get adjusted to college. My grades have improved tremendously since my first year. I am enrolling in a master's degree program at Johns Hopkins University next year in a social science. I plan to attend JHU, while taking all my pre-med courses in the summer for the next couple of years. My undergraduate degree is in English with a minor in social science. My extra curriculars are excellent, so I am not worried about that. I just didn't blossom academically until my junior year of college. If it makes any difference, no one in my family has attended college.

How much of an impact will my freshman year have on my med school application if I do well in prereqs now and get a decent MCAT score?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for responding. cGPA = 3.5. I don't know what my sGPA would be because the classes I posted in my original posts are the only ones I've taken. I have A's in physiology and medical terminology though. Not sure if that counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get a 'decent' MCAT score, get an excellent one

and as gyngyn mentioned, your freshman year mistakes are easily explained.

be prepared to explain how you will use your master's degree and why it's significant to you.

you still have a shot at a lot of really great schools if you, like you said, have great ECs and hopefully LORs as well

Reactions: 1 user