Help!! What are my chances?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMarie38

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I'm currently a sophomore at a community college. I'll be transferring for Fall 2014 to either UTDallas or Baylor U. My current gpa is a 2.973 without counting my current classes. If everything goes as planned I should have a 3.21 gpa before I transfer. I work part time at an attorney's office. I will start volunteering now in March at a hospital nearby. I also just came back from a mission trip in Lima, Peru where I got 40+ of shadowing doctors. The organization is called Medlife if anybody is interested. Do you think I can still make it ? I still have 2 more years. But I feel like my gpa will not rise that much to make me a competitive enough student. Please let me know what you guys think! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You have 2 more years to improve your GPA. I think you will have a chance with some good upward trend.

Your trip to Peru might not be as significant as you hope. Many applicants undertake short mission trips, so you shouldn't think of that as unique. It's great still, but not extraordinary. Do some long-term ECs once you transfer there and keep up your good work!

I'm currently a sophomore at a community college. I'll be transferring for Fall 2014 to either UTDallas or Baylor U. My current gpa is a 2.973 without counting my current classes. If everything goes as planned I should have a 3.21 gpa before I transfer. I work part time at an attorney's office. I will start volunteering now in March at a hospital nearby. I also just came back from a mission trip in Lima, Peru where I got 40+ of shadowing doctors. The organization is called Medlife if anybody is interested. Do you think I can still make it ? I still have 2 more years. But I feel like my gpa will not rise that much to make me a competitive enough student.
Your first priority will be to get your GPA higher and to excel in your science classes. Don't sacrifice your GPA to more activities until you get the feel for how to consistently earn A grades. Gaining experience in a US healthcare environment where you can interact with patients is a good plan. You'd eventually need some US physician shadowing. Volunteer service to the poor, leadership, and research are also helpful. But don't feel you must rush into all of this. There is no rule that you have to apply to med school right out of college if your application won't be strong enough. Take it slow and steady for now so you won't need to spend time and money fixing your GPA later.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
100% concur.

Your first priority will be to get your GPA higher and to excel in your science classes. Don't sacrifice your GPA to more activities until you get the feel for how to consistently earn A grades. Gaining experience in a US healthcare environment where you can interact with patients is a good plan. You'd eventually need some US physician shadowing. Volunteer service to the poor, leadership, and research are also helpful. But don't feel you must rush into all of this. There is no rule that you have to apply to med school right out of college if your application won't be strong enough. Take it slow and steady for now so you won't need to spend time and money fixing your GPA later.

Thank you so much for your advice. I now have a GPA of 2.22 like I expected. I also started working at a Community Care Facility. I am trying to gain as much experience as I can, but still keeping up my GPA. I really appreciate your advice!

You dropped to 2.2 from 2.9???? That's not good. Hopefully that's a typo. If not I don't see med school in your near future!

You dropped to 2.2 from 2.9???? That's not good. Hopefully that's a typo. If not I don't see med school in your near future!

I hope that's a typo too! I'm guessing the OP meant 3.22, since it was mentioned earlier that 3.21 was to be expected prior to transferring.