Help- What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lhu13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a Junior with e cGPA:3.58 and sGPA:2.85. Bio1-B Bio2-C Phys1- B+ Chem1-B. I still have one semester of physics left, one of gen. chem and both orgos to take so there is room for improvment in the science gpa. If you include a statistics class I took the sGPA is 2.98 I believe. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm taking a Kaplan Prep course for it throughout next semester. I've worked in a large hospital as a clinical assistant for 2 years now, and have had experience in almost every department. I've logged about 1,500 hours with this job.

At one point I began working with Podiatry. I instantly liked this specialty and have since looked more into the option of Podiatry school. I plan to apply to a few MD and DO schools, but would like to apply to Pod school as well. Temple, NY, and Ohio would be reasonable choices to apply. What are my chances at these schools? I was going to apply to one of the internships for the summer at either Temple or NY. Does anyone know if attending one would better my chances at getting an acceptence with one of these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently a Junior with e cGPA:3.58 and sGPA:2.85. Bio1-B Bio2-C Phys1- B+ Chem1-B. I still have one semester of physics left, one of gen. chem and both orgos to take so there is room for improvment in the science gpa. If you include a statistics class I took the sGPA is 2.98 I believe. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm taking a Kaplan Prep course for it throughout next semester. I've worked in a large hospital as a clinical assistant for 2 years now, and have had experience in almost every department. I've logged about 1,500 hours with this job.

At one point I began working with Podiatry. I instantly liked this specialty and have since looked more into the option of Podiatry school. I plan to apply to a few MD and DO schools, but would like to apply to Pod school as well. Temple, NY, and Ohio would be reasonable choices to apply. What are my chances at these schools? I was going to apply to one of the internships for the summer at either Temple or NY. Does anyone know if attending one would better my chances at getting an acceptence with one of these schools?

Get your sGPA up to at least 3.0
Take the MCAT and score over 23

I would say make sure you ace all your classes from now on or at least try to. I slacked off and my cGPA is about 2.9 and sGPA is 2.8. I am in the process of retaking a bio 2 and organic chemistry 2, and have the MCAT in April. Even though my chances are extremely slim this cycle, I am hoping to do well on the MCAT and apply next cycle. IMO, I think you still have time to bring that sGPA significantly up. Good luck. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just graduated a semester early with a B.S in December 2011. I have a 3.0 science and a 3.55 overall gpa. I am taking the MCAT prep course this summer. I worked in a nursing home for 1 year and gained 1300+ patient care hours. I volunteered in Costa Rica in August 2011 for 2 weeks on a medical trip. I'll be done with all my pre reqs by the end of the summer and hopefully it'll boost my gpa up a little.

Thanks.

@lhu13 - You mentioned you've worked with podiatry before, can you elaborate?

@Heyitssandie - Great resume. Study hard for the MCAT and you'll be a strong applicant. However, have you shadowed a podiatrist yet?

Incase you guys haven't, go here for resource of podiatrists that would love to have student visitors: http://www.aacpm.org/contactpod/default.asp

Last edited:
@lhu13 - You mentioned you've worked with podiatry before, can you elaborate?

@Heyitssandie - Great resume. Study hard for the MCAT and you'll be a strong applicant. However, have you shadowed a podiatrist yet?

Incase you guys haven't, go here for resource of podiatrists that would love to have student visitors: http://www.aacpm.org/contactpod/default.asp
No I have not. I plan on shadowing within the next few months. I emailed a few podiatrists from that website but none have responded back.

Is there anything else that would help me become an even better applicant? I have volunteered at many places as well.

1. Good grades
2. Good MCAT score
3. Volunteer
4. Shadow
5. Narrative paper
6.??

Also, do you know if we can apply for the program if we have one pre-req to take but will take it the semester of applying? The schools' websites do not say.

Thanks!

Also, do you know if we can apply for the program if we have one pre-req to take but will take it the semester of applying? Thanks!

Yes, you can. There will be a section on the application to enter courses in progress and courses you plan to take. You can submit your app as early as August and then they will allow you to update your grades once sometime in Dec/Jan. You can enter your grades earned in fall semester and confirm courses planned for spring.

Unless you are an underrepresented minority, or score a mid-30's on your MCAT, your chances at DO/MD are slim to nill. Even then...

Pod school, probably 90-100% at at least one school with a mid-20's MCAT.