Help! what classes to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophmore right now and will finish all preqs by end of this quarter including MolGen. I want to take the MCATs next Jan and I want to have finished all of the recommended classes for it by then. At our school that would mean I only have 2 quarters before that summer included. I want to take microbiology (for my major) and biochem in the fall and some kind of evolution physiology class this summer but its not offered in the summer. Should I take that class next fall as well? That would mean 3 major classes that quarter including my MCAT class, would I be able to handle that? If not is physiology/anatomy that important to take before MCATs or can I just study for that part my self? I took AP bio about 3 years ago in high school so idk if I'd remember.
Any advice would be appreciated thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Several classes are important for the MCAT, but not 100% essential.

My advice: if you're going to take the classes at some point either take them all in the fall, or put one off until the winter and take the MCAT a little later. They will definitely help you. You can do those three classes in the same semester, it's just a question of how hard you're willing to work.

As far as BIO is concerned, that's a tough subject. I'd imagine you could review for that on your own; however, make sure that the med schools you want to apply for will accept the AP credit. Some med schools either don't accept the AP credits or frown upon them.

Several classes are important for the MCAT, but not 100% essential.

My advice: if you're going to take the classes at some point either take them all in the fall, or put one off until the winter and take the MCAT a little later. They will definitely help you. You can do those three classes in the same semester, it's just a question of how hard you're willing to work.

As far as BIO is concerned, that's a tough subject. I'd imagine you could review for that on your own; however, make sure that the med schools you want to apply for will accept the AP credit. Some med schools either don't accept the AP credits or frown upon them.

well if he has taken upper division bio classes, I don't think it matters that he placed out of the introductory level courses. That's what I've gathered anyhow.