Help: What does an MCAT study day look like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have stopped my full-time job and started studying for the MCAT in April.

I have my materials (EK, TBR 2015, and a whole lot of VR workbooks), but I am still getting into the swing of things, as I started studying Monday...

Basically, SDN, what does a typical "MCAT study day" look like? Do you sit and read for an hour, relax 5 minutes, and come back to do it again? Is there a strict regiment you follow?

I just have never studied 8-10 hours a day for 3 months, and I want to hear what others have done. Please help :).

Members don't see this ad.

Get your content review done in about 5-6 weeks.... Take organized notes (like a notebook for each section) that later in your preparation you can review (so say you can commit a whole day later to brushing up on all the biochem by reading your biochem notebook)..... Efficiency is key at the end..

For the next 5-6 weeks you need to get your hands on practice exams and do as many as possible while also doing content review....
Pretty much Eat, Sleep, Breath MCAT for the 3 months you are preparing

Reactions: 1 user
Get your content review done in about 5-6 weeks.... Take organized notes (like a notebook for each section) that later in your preparation you can review (so say you can commit a whole day later to brushing up on all the biochem by reading your biochem notebook)..... Efficiency is key at the end..

For the next 5-6 weeks you need to get your hands on practice exams and do as many as possible while also doing content review....
Pretty much Eat, Sleep, Breath MCAT for the 3 months you are preparing

I just started on the third so I've been trying to just adjust and get into the mindset but is 5-6 weeks normal? I feel like I'm going really slow with content review.

I just started on the third so I've been trying to just adjust and get into the mindset but is 5-6 weeks normal? I feel like I'm going really slow with content review.

If you get too stuck on doing content review you will not have enough time to practice HOW the questions are asked. By taking practice exams you will find out what subjects/areas you are weak in, what is commonly tested and where to focus your studies

Members don't see this ad :)
My test is in May and I don't know how I'm going to get through all the content review. I end up spending an entire day on just one chapter and a week or two later I can't remember a thing from it. It is so frustrating.

I'm finishing week 2 of content review (it's been non-stop at this point) and my typical days are like this:

9:00 AM Wake up
9:30 AM New content
11:30 AM Breakfast/Brunch break
12:00 PM Review lecture questions
12:30 PM - 8:00 PM Practice passages w/ review (lunch at some point)
8:00 PM Dinner
9:00 PM Previous day's lecture exam w/ review
10:00 PM Anki cards
10:30 PM Wind down/Chill out/Go out
1:00 AM Sleep

Most days, I'll take frequent breaks during my 12:30 PM - 8:00 PM block of doing passages. Sometimes the breaks will be a few hours long as I play some Call of Duty or Fallout :whistle: On bio/biochem days, I tend to take less breaks and just grind it out because of how many practice passages there are. I study at my desk in my room because my house is quiet during the day but when my family comes home from work at night, I'll put on some classical music to drown out the noise. I've only taken one rest day so far because I have a family vacation coming up at the end of the month and that'll pretty much be using all of my rest days in the content review portion of the schedule.

Note: I'm signed up for the April 1st test and may be working a part-time job soon so I'm definitely trying to get all of my content review out of the way sooner so that when I do begin working, I can just focus on FLs + reviewing them.

If you get too stuck on doing content review you will not have enough time to practice HOW the questions are asked. By taking practice exams you will find out what subjects/areas you are weak in, what is commonly tested and where to focus your studies

How did you do your content review? I'm having trouble because I usually get around 90% of questions correct on discrete questions, but when it comes to passages I hover around 60%-70% correct. I'm thinking I should stop making anki cards and just read the chapter and do some questions, then read again. I've been using the Kaplan biochemistry book, and was planning on using TBR for passages. I'm thinking about using TBR as my primary now to make it easier when doing passages but worried I'm going to get bogged down by all the details supposedly in their books. Any thoughts? Also, when do I know to move on from a concept? For example for chapter 2 in Kaplan (enzymes), I got a 93% on the discrete questions, 60% on the 45 minute passaged based quiz, and about an average of 60% on the TBR passages. Obviously something is wrong, but what kind of scores do you look for to know when to move on?

My test is in May and I don't know how I'm going to get through all the content review. I end up spending an entire day on just one chapter and a week or two later I can't remember a thing from it. It is so frustrating.

Tell me about it..

How did you do your content review? I'm having trouble because I usually get around 90% of questions correct on discrete questions, but when it comes to passages I hover around 60%-70% correct. I'm thinking I should stop making anki cards and just read the chapter and do some questions, then read again. I've been using the Kaplan biochemistry book, and was planning on using TBR for passages. I'm thinking about using TBR as my primary now to make it easier when doing passages but worried I'm going to get bogged down by all the details supposedly in their books. Any thoughts? Also, when do I know to move on from a concept? For example for chapter 2 in Kaplan (enzymes), I got a 93% on the discrete questions, 60% on the 45 minute passaged based quiz, and about an average of 60% on the TBR passages. Obviously something is wrong, but what kind of scores do you look for to know when to move on?

Tell me about it..

I used Kaplan also, and I can honestly say the discrete questions do not show much...... You need to be able to apply the knowledge, and the best way to do that is by taking practice tests. You move on from a concept when you get the general understanding of it, you do not need to master the content the first time you go through. You need to get through it so that you can start practicing and applying the knowledge, and then you will have a better idea of where you are at/what you should do....

If I had a recommendation, I would say to finish your content review, and then buy the Altius and NS tests. Take as many as you can (I mean at least 10).... this will help you to work on your timing and get you comfortable with the material. As you continue to take practice tests you will inevitably find the areas you are strong at and weak at.... You will not find this from doing discrete questions at the end of the chapters.

Just out of curiosity, how many months of 8 hour studying x 5 days a week do most people do? I'm most likely going to quit my full time job to study for this test and I'm planning out my schedule. I'm using the schedules others have posted as a guideline for my own. I'm hoping to take the test sometime during the summer.

Just out of curiosity, how many months of 8 hour studying x 5 days a week do most people do? I'm most likely going to quit my full time job to study for this test and I'm planning out my schedule. I'm using the schedules others have posted as a guideline for my own. I'm hoping to take the test sometime during the summer.

Most schedules call for that amount of studying only during the content review portion (5-6 weeks on average). During the latter half of a 3-month schedule, most recommend to take FLs every three days and review them + missed material in between.

Most schedules call for that amount of studying only during the content review portion (5-6 weeks on average). During the latter half of a 3-month schedule, most recommend to take FLs every three days and review them + missed material in between.

In between FL and reviewing test days, do you normally just focus on doing random review using anki? I'm just afraid I'll forget materials that I don't encounter as much when I do FL.

In between FL and reviewing test days, do you normally just focus on doing random review using anki? I'm just afraid I'll forget materials that I don't encounter as much when I do FL.

I'm actually not up to FLs yet but so far, I've been reviewing my Anki deck whenever possible. If you somehow manage to get a perfect score on all of your FLs from remember everything, please teach us your ways haha. Otherwise, you probably will forget materials or encounter new material that you may have forgot to study when you take FLs. It's a learning process and the important thing is that you're thoroughly reviewing what you do and don't know from FLs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone explain what exactly Anki is? It's a flash card app, right? Is it better than some of the free ones out there? Do you make your own or use other people's decks? I've gotta figure something out so I retain some if this when I finish each chapter.

Edit: if I'm looking at the right version, it is 24.99 for iphone. Is it worth that?

I'm actually not up to FLs yet but so far, I've been reviewing my Anki deck whenever possible. If you somehow manage to get a perfect score on all of your FLs from remember everything, please teach us your ways haha. Otherwise, you probably will forget materials or encounter new material that you may have forgot to study when you take FLs. It's a learning process and the important thing is that you're thoroughly reviewing what you do and don't know from FLs.

Did you make your own Anki deck? Or did you get someone else's and added to that?

The old MCAT relied more on test taking than recalling information. If you were able to retain 70% of what you learned and you were able to apply that to whatever the passage is talking about, you'll most likely do well. I don't think the new test has changed too much. Although I did hear that for the behavioral sci portion, you do need to know the definitions.

Did you make your own Anki deck? Or did you get someone else's and added to that?

The old MCAT relied more on test taking than recalling information. If you were able to retain 70% of what you learned and you were able to apply that to whatever the passage is talking about, you'll most likely do well. I don't think the new test has changed too much. Although I did hear that for the behavioral sci portion, you do need to know the definitions.

I'm making my own deck because the process helps me memorize.

Can someone explain what exactly Anki is? It's a flash card app, right? Is it better than some of the free ones out there? Do you make your own or use other people's decks? I've gotta figure something out so I retain some if this when I finish each chapter.

Edit: if I'm looking at the right version, it is 24.99 for iphone. Is it worth that?

Anki is an iOS/Android/desktop app that uses an algorithm to space out flash card learning. Yes, the iOS app costs $24.99 but I feel as if it's worth it because I have my entire deck at the palms of my hands and can review whenever.

Read more about Anki here:
http://www.forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/Anki-Central.1064361/

oh and start doing at least 1-2 timed CARS passages a day

I'm planning on starting to get into the habit of this today. Out of EK CARS, and TBR verbal which do you think I should start with? If there are better options I wouldn't mind ordering them.

I have the EK 101 book and it is okay.... I would say both, it's more of a quantity thing over anything. The more you do, the better you will get

Any insight as to if TBR, is actually as detailed as everyone says? Still debating if I should use TBR as my main content review or Kaplan content w/ TBR passages. As I said I have a habit of going slow with content and focusing on details. (Sorry for repetitiveness just asked this in another thread about TBR psych).

I have the EK 101 book and it is okay.... I would say both, it's more of a quantity thing over anything. The more you do, the better you will get

Is there a specific CARS book out by EK or TPR? Are you guys just talking about the 101 EK book and just the verbal book by TPR? I know nextstep has their own CARS practice book but I'm not sure about the quality of that.

Any insight as to if TBR, is actually as detailed as everyone says? Still debating if I should use TBR as my main content review or Kaplan content w/ TBR passages. As I said I have a habit of going slow with content and focusing on details. (Sorry for repetitiveness just asked this in another thread about TBR psych).

I think TBR Bio is just too detailed. I only got that book for the practice passages. I think I will most likely substitute Kaplan Bio instead.

I have the EK 101 book, it is okay. I have also done a lot of kaplan, NS and TPR. Most important is quantity. Do as many from as many sources as you can

I have the EK 101 book, it is okay. I have also done a lot of kaplan, NS and TPR. Most important is quantity. Do as many from as many sources as you can

I guess there really isn't too much of a difference between verbal from the old test and CARS. I couldn't find CARS specific books so wanted to make sure the old mcat verbal books are still decent to use.

Okay at best; I'd give it D+ quality overall. But I absolutely agree that the most important thing is to use a variety of sources for studying for CARS (along with practicing questions for any of the other sources).