HELP WILL I BECOME A DENTIST?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David1115

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My info:
Currently a Senior in undergraduate studies
Biology major
2.718 overall GPA and 2.5 SCI GPA---> But retook classes (30 Credits worth and now is 2.99 and 2.79 Sci GPA) <- I had a learning disability which the school never acknowledged

So far around 250 community service hours volunteering
800 hours shadowing in dental clinic
Research Lab- 1500hr
2 LOR from a Dentist
2 LOR's from science professors
1 LOR from Research Mentor
Main goal is to get into any Dental Program = D

Taking the DAT in 3 months -.-

I got a few Questions:
- Im currently averaging a PAT 23 / QR 23 / RC 22 / BIO 24 / GC 21/ OC 21 / TC 21 / AA 19
i started from PAT 15 / QR 17 / RC 22 / BIO 16 / GC 17 / OC 19 / TC 15 / AA 14
So if i am averaging that score is it at all possible to get invited and hopefully accepted.

- Since i am applying this cycle what would you recommend me doing over the time i wait

- Is My GPA still to low or will my DAT help it? or should i take more classes

- Does Financial circumstances actually make a difference to admission committee i worked all four years from cashier to meat stocker to tutoring.

-Any schools you would advise me to apply?
Is NYU Good?

For all those who do reply thank you and to everybody good luck and keep grinding =D

Members don't see this ad.

It's going to be an uphill battle from here on out for you. Take the DAT and see what you score... if you somehow pull a 23+, I'd say you have a chance even with the GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get that DAT score then it'll help, but you could also go through your entire cycle and not hear from a single school. There are people with 3.8+ gpa's and 25's on the DAT who don't get a single interview, every single year. While people with lower gpa's and DAT scores get multiple interviews.

So while you do have a small shot to get accepted, I think you should try asking yourself a different question. If I'm accepted will I succeed or will I struggle? If you think you'll struggle then don't apply and waste your money. Get a master's or a post bacc and focus on becoming a better student.

If you do apply, be sure to apply to private dental schools ala Creighton, Midwestern, or A.T. Still. They generally will accept students with lower gpa's.

Reactions: 2 users
If i bring it up to a 3.1 will i have a fighting chance? Also if i submit my application by first week and i take a summer class will my application be on hold or the school will wait for the summer class grade. Also any recommendation for summer classes to impress dental schools ?

no it wouldnt affect dental school learning

Reactions: 1 user
if i raise the GPA to 3.1 will that give me a better chance.

Even getting that GPA to atleast a 3.0 will help. It's a numbers game. You want to atleast have a 3.0. Knock the DAT out of the park (22+) and I believe you will have a fighting chance if you have a good upward trend.

- Im currently averaging a PAT 23 / QR 23 / RC 22 / BIO 24 / GC 21/ OC 21 / TC 21 / AA 19
i started from PAT 15 / QR 17 / RC 22 / BIO 16 / GC 17 / OC 19 / TC 15 / AA 14
So if i am averaging that score is it at all possible to get invited and hopefully accepted.

- Since i am applying this cycle what would you recommend me doing over the time i wait

- Is My GPA still to low or will my DAT help it? or should i take more classes

How did you calculate your Academic Average lower than *any* of your individual scores? It's fishy when an average is lower than any of its components.. I believe it might be total correct out of total questions, so it isn't a straight average of the numbers you obtained (ex: a 21 bio, 19GC, 19OC can equal a 20TS, or a 19TS). However, it still won't make an above 21 across the board suddenly become an AA19.

Reactions: 2 users
How did you calculate your Academic Average lower than *any* of your individual scores? It's fishy when an average is lower than any of its components.. I believe it might be total correct out of total questions, so it isn't a straight average of the numbers you obtained (ex: a 21 bio, 19GC, 19OC can equal a 20TS, or a 19TS). However, it still won't make an above 21 across the board suddenly become an AA19.

I'm pretty sure your AA is just an average of your final QR, GC, OC, RC and BIO scores... TC is based on total correct out of total questions, but only counts your GC, OC and BIO.

So his AA should've been 22.2 = 22, not a 19...

They wont see the summer course ... and it will delay your application if you wait for the grade for that one

From all indications on here, unless it will bump you up that much it's not worth delaying the app because it takes time to process. If he is in August then that will lower his chances more than getting an A in a summer course.. Thats my opinion

From all indications on here, unless it will bump you up that much it's not worth delaying the app because it takes time to process. If he is in August then that will lower his chances more than getting an A in a summer course.. Thats my opinion

There might not be much of a total difference, but a 3.01 looks WAY better than a 2.99. I delayed my app for about a month (submitted on July 19th, I think) just to bump my GPA up from a 3.27 to a 3.31 and I had no problem receiving interviews or acceptances. As long as you submit before, say, the second week of August, you'll be fine.