Help with "cardiac" problem.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had a random "cardiac" problem for years now that I would like some help with. I have been to the doc and he pretty much passed it off as nothing, but it concerns me.

Every once in awhile, with no pattern or consistency, I'll get a "funny" feeling in the center of my chest. I can't really describe it. It's not tightness, it's not pain. Probably the same feeling as if something inside my chest was moving around. You know those "bubbly" feelings you get in your gut? It's kinda like that, only in the center area of my chest. The feeling makes me want to take a deep breath. Originally I thought it was related to high consumption of caffeine, but it happened today (hasn't happened for the past few months) and I haven't been drinking any caffeine.

I don't have any pain in the arms, neck, or legs because of it. It doesn't make me actually feel short of breath, nor does it make me feel dizzy or fatigued. It just annoys me.

I assume it's not something serious like an arrythmia because it doesn't really hurt or interfere with anything. Respitory problem maybe? Or just some weird random thing everyone experiences?

Sometimes when I'm working out I DO get really tired and light-headed and breathe heavy, but I have never actually passed out. I have determined this is probably more likely due to poor diet than related to the above.

Normal heart rate is 60-70 BPM, white 23 y/o male non smoker. Mother has hypertension, grandmother same with heart disease (I think) but no history of heart attacks on either side.

I'm looking for some insight or links to stuff to read regarding what you think the likely cause is. Thanks for any help. I would go see a doc, but I don't have any insurance right now and the family doc wasn't much help -- I'd need to see a card.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I can't believe you have the same thing. I have had the same exact symptoms for about 2 weeks now. My grandmother who i was extremely close to past away 2 weeks ago and ever since I have had the feeling you have just described. I went to my PCP for a physical today and also explained this problem. He said that it is most likely acid relfux due to the stress i have been enduring. He suggested to take some acid relfux meds. and if that does not work i am going to go back and see him. If you find out any more info about it PM me.

Take it easy.

JKD -

I've had the same problem for a couple years. For me it is related to anxiety and the muscle tension in my chest wall that results from it.

I started taking lexapro 10mg/once a day and it has really helped a lot with both that and my other symptoms. (after all my bitching about the overuse of SSRI's, here I am preaching about how great they work for me.... go figure)

Anyway, the point is that if you've seen a doc and they're not concerned, you probably shouldn't be either. You could always get a second opinion just to make sure.

P.S. I'm still a premed, so take my advice for what it's worth.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like your having palpitations.

Has anyone checked your EKG or thyroid function tests? Have you had any heat intolerance, frequent bowel movements, nervousness, insomnia, or fatigue? These can all be signs of an overactive thyroid which can cause your heart to have periodic palpitations. I would be especially suspicious of thyroid trouble if you're a female and have any family history of thyroid problems. Check out this website:

http://www.endocrineweb.com/hyper1.html

Good luck!

JKDMed said:
I have had a random "cardiac" problem for years now that I would like some help with. I have been to the doc and he pretty much passed it off as nothing, but it concerns me.

Every once in awhile, with no pattern or consistency, I'll get a "funny" feeling in the center of my chest. I can't really describe it. It's not tightness, it's not pain. Probably the same feeling as if something inside my chest was moving around. You know those "bubbly" feelings you get in your gut? It's kinda like that, only in the center area of my chest. The feeling makes me want to take a deep breath.

It's a skpped beat. 99% of us have them (according to one study I read).

Your description is very good. That's exactly how I experience my own skpped beats.

Just before falling asleep... You actually don't feel the skipped beat per se but the next beat is stronger because of increased end-diastolic filling. Some people say their heart does a summersault.

I also feel the need to take a deep breath. I wonder what the mechanism behind that is?

Yeah, every so often, I get this strange sensation in my substernal chest, followed by sudden cardiac death. When I wake up, I'm so mad! :mad:

You should talk to your doctor/ask to speak with a cardiologist if you are concerned. They can hook you up to an ECG monitor which you can push to record whenever you feel like you have symptoms. You can't make this type of diagnosis by history alone.