About the ads

help with cardio

Discussion in 'Step I' started by doopdidoop, Jun 19, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. doopdidoop

doopdidoop

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    hey guys...i've been having some trouble with the cardio questions on UWorld that show pressure vs. time and different tracings for LA, LV and aorta usually. they usually show you that and ask you to pick where on the graph the murmur would be heard....does anyone have any tips for tackling those questions? i think i've been having a major brain fart all day and just can't wrap my head around it right now. :( any tips would be appreciated!
  2. loveoforganic

loveoforganic -Account Deactivated-

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Do you understand the reason for each of the pressure changes on the cardiac cycle? That would be the first thing to tackle obviously. From there it would be understanding the cause of the murmur and applying that to when the murmur would be loudest. Which area is tripping you up?
  3. Chaoticsheath

Chaoticsheath

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Read the BRS physio chapter on cardio. You won't have many questions on this after that.
  4. doopdidoop

doopdidoop

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    not sure....i mean when i read the explanation it makes crystal clear sense. maybe i just get anxious now every time i see one haha - the last one i got wrong i completely missed the decrease in maximal pressure for the aorta tracings :bang: i guess i will go over it again one more time!! agh. thanks for the tip Chaoticsheath, ill do that tonight. thanks for the help!
  5. Aclamity

Aclamity

SDN 2+ Year Member
    go through the Wigger Diagram and try to understand every bump on it while visualizing the the heart as it beats. If you're able to do that I feel like you're prepped enough for the cardiac cycle. blaufuss.org (sp?) is pretty good as well.
  6. akademix

akademix

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    -
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  7. doopdidoop

doopdidoop

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    hahahah!! hilarious
  8. Go Ducks

Go Ducks

SDN 2+ Year Member
    It is best to actually understand the diagram. However if you are having lots of trouble with it, you can memorize the point that corresponds to S1 and S2. If you know where S1 and S2 are, you should be able to answer almost any murmur question. For example, if the murmur is heard in early systole, pick a point right after S1.

I understand the diagram but I usually use this shortcut anyway just to save time. It hasn't let me down yet.
  9. Aclamity

Aclamity

SDN 2+ Year Member
    hah I definitely remember a very subdued giggle in our undergrad physio class when our prof mentioned it for the first time