Help with Cardiology Consult rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wizza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting a Cardiology consult rotation next January . and i would like to know how to prepare myself !
any recommended guidelines. texts ,techniques i have to learn before starting my rotations ?

Members don't see this ad.

I am on my cardiology elective right now. I am OMS3 and this is my 1st IM rotation so it kind of sucked for me and I just felt useless most of the time. The 4th year student rotating with me loved it though. I learned a lot though so I guess it was not bad.

I would def know:
1) how to rule out angina, typical and atypical chest pain presentations
2) classes of HF and when to use which drugs
3) Our attending really loved studies so just know the main cardiac studies and bottom lines
4) We read a lot of EKGs and I went back and went over them and that was helpful
5) When you are presenting pay special attention to past caths, CABGs, etc. At least at our facility they really like details.

Good luck

So as a med student I would expect you to focus on the basics..... how to perform a detailed cardiovascular exam, taking a detailed cardio history (mostly about what questions to ask when dealing with chest pain, heart failure and arrhythmias/syncope) and then basic work up management of common things we see such as CHF , CAD/MI/ACS, valvular diseases, arrhythmias, etc....

I was always a fan of the Washington manual subspecialty series of books. They're pretty easy read and pocketable. So pick up some sort of review book/guide and go through it.

Just finished my cards consult rotation. Know how to read EKGs and tele, STEMI/NSTEMI treatment guidelines, what to do for a cardiology pre-op clearance and afib/CHADS2-VASC.