help! with choosing clerkship rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALTorGT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellaz

Im a student from Australia. I was gonna send in my app for clerkship at UT southwestern in Texas. I wanted to do one surgical and one medical rotation. As far as medical student experience is concerned what is your input on the following:

1) Im confused about which roation to pick. For medical -Cardiology and for surgery - cardiothoracic (were my preliminary choices). However, the sub internship in Gen surg and Gen medicine sounds like a broader exposure, more responsibility and more teaching?

2) I am looking for the best possible learning experience. I just presumed with CT surgery id see some cool stuff, but would that be limited in my learning experience? And generally getting my hands dirty in the thick of it if you know what i mean.

thanks a million in advance for your inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

chances are that for CT surgery, you will see mostly ICU stuff. And maybe some CABG, which can get repetitive.

I'll assume that the general surgery service would allow broader exposure and be more appropriate for an MS3 clerkship.

Originally posted by ALTorGT

1) Im confused about which roation to pick. For medical -Cardiology and for surgery - cardiothoracic (were my preliminary choices). However, the sub internship in Gen surg and Gen medicine sounds like a broader exposure, more responsibility and more teaching?

2) I am looking for the best possible learning experience. I just presumed with CT surgery id see some cool stuff, but would that be limited in my learning experience? And generally getting my hands dirty in the thick of it if you know what i mean.

thanks a million in advance for your inputs!

1. Doing a sub-i in general surgery will mean managing general surgery patients on the floor at most places and not going to the OR. In general, sub-i's offer more teaching, exposure, and responsibility, but they mostly lack OR time so if that's what you are looking for, you should do the cardiothoracic surgery rotation.

2. The best possible learning experience would be a sub-i in general medicine, as this will teach you how to manage medical patients in the US while giving the broadest possible exposure. You will also probably get to do a good number of procedures as a sub-i (placing central lines, draining things, etc).