Help with Disadvantaged essay 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TRS JAM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!!

This is my first thread on here. I need help with my disadvantaged statement. Please let me know if there are any grammatical errors or problems with structure or content.

Thanks for the help in advanced guys.

As the first-born child from a single parent household, I have lived a financially difficult life. I started working during the summer of my 16th birthday in order to help my family make ends meet. This continued every summer until I graduated high school.

When it became time for me to apply to college, my mother borrowed money from family members and worked extra long hours so that she could afford the US college applications. She wanted me to be able to receive the college education that no one else in my family had access to. Our financial situation remained the same when I entered college. Fortunately, I received merit scholarships, but the majority of my tuition was funded by private loans through a US cosigner. These loans required in-school payments, and at the time the exchange rate was approximately $87 JMD to $1USD, and thus my mother was unable to pay them on her salary alone. In order to help with these loans, I worked three jobs throughout college averaging 20 hours per week. In spite of my work schedule, adjusting to living in a whole new country, and the stress of my finances, I was able to maintain a high GPA and make positive campus contributions. I feel that these experiences, while obviously challenging, forced me to be independent, resilient and resourceful.

Members don't see this ad.