Help with hospital pain algorithm... please :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ED50

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, intern here (planning on doing pain) and I am attempting to institute a pain treatment algorithm for my community based hospital. I have been searching the internet without much luck and am wondering if such a thing exists. When you were doing your fellowship was there a treatment protocol you followed along the lines of non opioid analgesic, non opioid analgesic plus adjuvant.... etc? I plan on doing the leg work and have access to most the journals I would need. Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I realize that different etiologies for the pain generators warrants different treatment modalities, I'm just hoping to get some tips from the pros. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Wait for it, wait for it....

No chronic opioids for the following:
Chronic low back pain in working aged adults
Chronic/episodic HA/Migraine
FMS

Members don't see this ad :)
algorithms dont work because every patient is different. medicine is not a cookbook. algorithms are for administrators and nurse practitioners (no offense to nurse practitioners) but a doc who follows an algorithms is a bad doc.

Thanks for the help and input. I think I'm at a great starting point. I agree that algorithms are too simplistic however I'm doing my intern year in internal medicine and the mindset here primarily focused on is this an acute issue requiring intervention or not. No one is really effectively optimizing non opioid analgesics and therapies prior to moving to opioids. Just some things I've seen here make me think some guidelines might be helpful.

Thanks for the help and input. I think I'm at a great starting point. I agree that algorithms are too simplistic however I'm doing my intern year in internal medicine and the mindset here primarily focused on is this an acute issue requiring intervention or not. No one is really effectively optimizing non opioid analgesics and therapies prior to moving to opioids. Just some things I've seen here make me think some guidelines might be helpful.

And these should be written by a lowly Intern in a field uneducated to do so.

good intentions, bad idea.

unfortunately,nobody will listen to you, anyway.