Help with making a decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovevolunteer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I applied this cycle with a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA and 26N McAt (PS: 9, V: 7 BS: 10). I applied to about 35 MD schools and recieved 11 interviews, of which I have 6 acceptances :confused:. I'm having a hard time deciding on a school, was anyone else in a similar situation before? what kinds of things did you consider when turning down schools?

Thanks for the help :)

Members don't see this ad.

What schools are they? Generally, go wherever will be the cheapest for you. You might be willing to pay a bit more to be near family or friends. Paying for prestige is pretty stupid, because you don't earn more for going to a better medical school.

Hey guys,

I applied this cycle with a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA and 26N McAt (PS: 9, V: 7 BS: 10). I applied to about 35 MD schools and recieved 11 interviews, of which I have 6 acceptances :confused:. I'm having a hard time deciding on a school, was anyone else in a similar situation before? what kinds of things did you consider when turning down schools?

hey, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of extracurriculars did you have under your belt before applying? my stats are somewhat better than yours but i'm kinda lacking on ECs, so I'm wondering what I'd need to do to get acceptances

Members don't see this ad :)
1. tuition
2. location
3. if i feel like i would fit in

Hey guys,

Why was your stats relevant to this?

Anyway, the usual suspects (money, location, prestige...in no particular order).

There's also the specific departments that they have, size, match lists, research opportunities, curriculum structure, grading (pass/fail vs some tiered metric), etc.

Well, how did you decide where to apply? What kind of things were you considering in coming up with that list of 35 schools (holy cow!!)? You applied to about 1/4 of all schools, so what ruled out the other 75%? It shouldn't be that hard to rule out another 75% of those 6 acceptances, which would leave you with about 2 schools. Then, rinse and repeat.

Also, how much did you spend on apps? Just curious...

Hey guys,

:wow:

It is a real shock that you got so many acceptances with a low MCAT. I guess apply early and broad must work!

I have almost similar scores, a smidge lower on the GPAs, now I am kicking myself for just applying for an SMP and I have awesome EC's and LORs. crapppp haha
congrats to you though! what state are you a resident of?

Why was your stats relevant to this?

Anyway, the usual suspects (money, location, prestige...in no particular order).

There's also the specific departments that they have, size, match lists, research opportunities, curriculum structure, grading (pass/fail vs some tiered metric), etc.

Considering OP's question, mentioning the stats was unnecessary, as well as the success with schools: 35 applied -11 interviewed-6 accepted. At the same time, any actually relevant info, i.e. things we could use to be of more help, is really vague. Hmm

Go to the one with the best match list

trollface-(n1297942625307).jpg

1 post? troll .... since stats are irrelevant and number of acceptances/interviews is to a degree as well. I'm sure there are plenty of people having trouble deciding so you can do what they do, put up a poll and have SDNers decide your future for the next 4 years. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
1 post? troll .... since stats are irrelevant and number of acceptances/interviews is to a degree as well. I'm sure there are plenty of people having trouble deciding so you can do what they do, put up a poll and have SDNers decide your future for the next 4 years. lol

this hahaha

Wow, didn't mean to upset so many people with my honest question...:confused:

I'm trying not too look at rank...2 of the acceptances are top 20, the rest range below that. most of the schools seemed to have the same curiculum- should i really be making a decision based on location and cost?

I am leaning towards my in-state schools, but have money to the out of state. My parents will get me an apartment/car if I stay in state, but the scholarship money out of state (from all schools except 1) will be enough for me to live comfortably.

I had good EC's, I worked at my mom's clinic and did a little research/volunteering

hello... I've just finished my Foundation in Science.. And i've been hesitating a lot about whether to take Mbbs or not.. I always feel the fear in me, about unable to handle and stuff... And it terrifies me a lot.. So i was even looking into mass comm, cos i was really terrified.. and now i'm thinking about pharmacy.. Which one is more difficult? I actually dont have any special interest and any big dream in life... So basically, i'm just an aimless person.... what should i do??

hello... I've just finished my Foundation in Science.. And i've been hesitating a lot about whether to take Mbbs or not.. I always feel the fear in me, about unable to handle and stuff... And it terrifies me a lot.. So i was even looking into mass comm, cos i was really terrified.. and now i'm thinking about pharmacy.. Which one is more difficult? I actually dont have any special interest and any big dream in life... So basically, i'm just an aimless person.... what should i do??

Holy sh** that made my head hurt. Please refrain from using so...many...dots... in future posts. Thank you. Also, I have no idea what your talking about.

Holy sh** that made my head hurt. Please refrain from using so...many...dots... in future posts. Thank you. Also, I have no idea what your talking about.
I'm pretty sure the person is in India and considering pursing med school (an MBBS).

Honestly cmyzhu, if you don't know what you want to do, don't waste your time going to med or pharmacy school. Get a job for a few years and find direction.

ilovevolunteer - if you aren't a troll - go to where ever you think you will be happiest OR will give you the most money OR if closest to home. Have fun! :)

LOL sorry, i didn't know that in other countries they don't use the phrase MBBS. I'm from Malaysia by the way which is well, some where near India.
The problem now is, i need to come up with a decision soon. Because my dad definitely would not allow me to take a few years for thinking. Well at least not when I'm a Malaysian. I was interested in Medicine, but I'm afraid that I couldn't handle and when I come out to work next time, I'll be a no life freak.
So now i'm considering dentistry instead, since it's a 9-5 job? Then i'll have more time for my family as well. And also pharmacy. One thing, why does pharmacy need maths which i don't like??

Agreed looking back at past posts the lowest MCATthat got an MD acceptance was a 27 (forgot the writing).....

This may have been me? :laugh: My writing score was P btw.

Hey there are people (while not a lot) who still get in with 26's (even 25's!). Usually they have a higher GPA to help compensate but still, it's possible.

This may have been me? :laugh: My writing score was P btw.

Hey there are people (while not a lot) who still get in with 26's (even 25's!). Usually they have a higher GPA to help compensate but still, it's possible.

Yea, but 6 acceptances, and coupled with a 3.4 cGPA??

Yea, but 6 acceptances, and coupled with a 3.4 cGPA??

I know it is very surprising, but hey the OP must have amazing EC's, and clearly terrific interview skills getting into more than half of the schools they interviewed at.

Edit: According to my MSAR, someone with an MCAT score within the range of 24-26 and a GPA between 3.40-3.59 has a 24% chance of getting in (1,081 applicants out of 4,537 got in last year). That means that 1 out of 4 applicants with these stats are still getting in so it's more believable than we've been led to believe (and SDN never really helps with all of the stellar applicants).

Also interestingly, one person got in with a GPA between 1.47-1.99 and an MCAT between 15-17. Now how did they get in?!?! :eek:

Last edited:
I know it is very surprising, but hey the OP must have amazing EC's, and clearly terrific interview skills getting into more than half of the schools they interviewed at.

Edit: According to my MSAR, someone with an MCAT score within the range of 24-26 and a GPA between 3.40-3.59 has a 24% chance of getting in (1,081 applicants out of 4,537 got in last year). That means that 1 out of 4 applicants with these stats are still getting in so it's more believable than we've been led to believe (and SDN never really helps with all of the stellar applicants).

Also interestingly, one person got in with a GPA between 1.47-1.99 and an MCAT between 15-17. Now how did they get in?!?! :eek:
Yes, I love that people selectively look at that chart - they fail to see the large number of people who do get in with less than stellar stats. Unfortunately I think a lot of those people are accepted at typically very large schools that can absorb crappy stats, schools in places that no one wants to be, PR schools or HBCs. You'll rarely see those kids getting into top 20 programs because admissions criteria will be much stricter and the applicant pool is highly self-selected. I think I dreamt about applying to top 20 programs once, laughed at myself, and never thought about it again, hence my unsubmitted CWRU secondary.

Wow, didn't mean to upset so many people with my honest question...:confused:

I'm trying not too look at rank...2 of the acceptances are top 20, the rest range below that. most of the schools seemed to have the same curiculum- should i really be making a decision based on location and cost?

I am leaning towards my in-state schools, but have money to the out of state. My parents will get me an apartment/car if I stay in state, but the scholarship money out of state (from all schools except 1) will be enough for me to live comfortably.

I had good EC's, I worked at my mom's clinic and did a little research/volunteering

Lol the way you begin your "honest questions" is a bit strange to say the least =P

It sounds like money won't be a deciding factor then (and neither is ranking to you). Choosing on location is not a bad idea. Closer to home=more emotional/tangible support. Beyond that, what particular programs do you like about each school? Schools have different emphasis on research, clinical skills, etc, so what are you interested in most? Not all schools are the same even if the curriculums are similar, so I would do a bit more research on each if I were you.