Help with my school list? 3.9/35

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eaglefan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey physician scientist crowd. I finally picked some schools, but I feel like I'm aiming too high and applying to too many schools (def not made of money). I appreciate your feedback over my advisor who is not as familiar with the MSTP process.

-3.91/3.9 as exercise physiology major at large state uni
-35 MCAT
-research: 3 years in same wet lab, 2 posters, 1 presented at a national conference with the abstract published but definitely no paper before applying. Will likely do NIH IRTA in my gap year.

other stuff:
-1000+ hours scribing in ED
-President/founder of university sport club team
-500 hours volunteering with disadvantaged kids
-adequate shadowing
-National level weightlifter
-Teaching - given a few lectures at regional conferences related to ex phys, have some articles on low-traffic websites
-4 years working as personal trainer and some related volunteering
-1st author on for a physical therapy type case report that's yet to be submitted, not sure how this would be viewed
-few other small but neat ECs that probably won't be terribly helpful

The List:

1. Hopkins
2. Penn
3. Duke
4. Michigan
5. Columbia
6. Yale
7. WashU
8. Pitt
9. Cornell
10. Vanderbilt
11. Northwestern
12. UNC
13. Emory
14. NYU
15. Case Western
16. UVA
17. Albert Einstein
18. Rochester
19. Maryland
20. Ohio State
21. Stony Brook?

Thank you so much, all!

Members don't see this ad.

As someone currently in this application cycle with similar raw metrics, I'd say add more mid tier schools on USNews Research Rankings (UAB, Colorado, Indiana, etc) or exchange some of the top 10 schools if money is an issue. Main thing is to apply broadly to schools with research you are interested in. Make sure your essays and letters are strong (start early). This process is very unpredictable but I have faith you will get in to a school you'd be happy at. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask me any more questions as they come up. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, looking at ADW1994's posts, your apps are very similar numbers wise! Take a look at where they ended up for interviews/rejections for a good idea of a +/- of where your app would likely take you. I would agree adding more mid tier while taking out 3-4 of the very top schools would be smart since this list is quite top heavy. Large state schools like ADW mentioned seem like good matches so go for ones that match your geographic preferences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like a pretty good list overall! I would also look into UMass, USC, Mount Sinai, Stony Brook, Tufts, BU

Search for my name on MDapps. Your numbers are pretty similar to mine, but I had way less clinical experience