help with PCAT math problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atl21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. A 120 gallon tub has a drain which, when open, drains water at a rate of 6 gallons per minute. If the tub is empty and the drain is open, then at what rate, in gallons of water per minute, must water be added to the tub so that it fills in exactly 1 hour?

2. faster way of solving this problem?

2^21/ ((4^4(4^4 + 4^5)) =

3. X^3YZ^2/ (X^6Y^4Z^6)^1/3 =

thanks a lot guys

Members don't see this ad.

1. A 120 gallon tub has a drain which, when open, drains water at a rate of 6 gallons per minute. If the tub is empty and the drain is open, then at what rate, in gallons of water per minute, must water be added to the tub so that it fills in exactly 1 hour?

thanks a lot guys

You may be making too much of this problem. If water is added at 6 gallons per minute with the drain open, then tub does not fill. Beyond that, however, the tub will fill with water. 1 hour = 60 minutes. The tub has a capacity of 120 gallons. Therefore, it needs the 6 gallons per minute + 2 gallons per minute to fill. The answer is 8 gallons of water per minute.

I hope you have an answer book to check if I'm right, but I think it's all in how you think about it. If you need 120 gallons to fill the tub in 60 minutes, that is 2 gallons per minute. But it drains 6 gallons per minute, so you need to put in 8 gallons per minute. 6 will drain, and you will be left with 2 per minute adding to 120 in an hour.

The easiest way to do this one is to play around with the numbers to get the bases to 2. For instance 4^4 is really 2^8. So you can divide 2^21/2^8(4^4 + 4^5). Subtract exponents when you divide and you are left with 2^13/(4^4+4^5). The next step is a little tricky. You have to recognize that 4^5 equals 4^4 x 4. Then you can factor out 4^4. So you would have 2^13/4^4(1+4), which equals 2^13/2^8(5) which equals 2^5/5. or 32/5.

Another law of exponents. When you multiply exponents with the same base, you add the exponents. When you raise them to some power, you multiply the exponents. So that is really

X^3YZ^2/(X^2Y^(1/3)Z^2)
Since you are dividing you subtract exponents and Z^2 cancels.
X Y^(2/3) is about as far as you can break it down. It''s hard to read without superscripts though, so I may have made a mistake.

I hope that helps. The real key to the math section is speed. If you see a problem like these and you feel yourself wanting to work it all out the long way, DONT DO IT. They are there to stop you from having time to get 10 easy ones at the end. If you know how to do it, great. If you don't, make sure you get through the test first. Then you may have time to come back.

Please check the answers I gave you to make sure I'm right. If they are not, I'm sure I did something stupid that you can find.

I hope you have an answer book to check if I'm right, but I think it's all in how you think about it. If you need 120 gallons to fill the tub in 60 minutes, that is 2 gallons per minute. But it drains 6 gallons per minute, so you need to put in 8 gallons per minute. 6 will drain, and you will be left with 2 per minute adding to 120 in an hour.

The easiest way to do this one is to play around with the numbers to get the bases to 2. For instance 4^4 is really 2^8. So you can divide 2^21/2^8(4^4 + 4^5). Subtract exponents when you divide and you are left with 2^13/(4^4+4^5). The next step is a little tricky. You have to recognize that 4^5 equals 4^4 x 4. Then you can factor out 4^4. So you would have 2^13/4^4(1+4), which equals 2^13/2^8(5) which equals 2^5/5. or 32/5.

Another law of exponents. When you multiply exponents with the same base, you add the exponents. When you raise them to some power, you multiply the exponents. So that is really

X^3YZ^2/(X^2Y^(1/3)Z^2)
Since you are dividing you subtract exponents and Z^2 cancels.
X Y^(2/3) is about as far as you can break it down. It''s hard to read without superscripts though, so I may have made a mistake.

I hope that helps. The real key to the math section is speed. If you see a problem like these and you feel yourself wanting to work it all out the long way, DONT DO IT. They are there to stop you from having time to get 10 easy ones at the end. If you know how to do it, great. If you don't, make sure you get through the test first. Then you may have time to come back.

Please check the answers I gave you to make sure I'm right. If they are not, I'm sure I did something stupid that you can find.

Again, I think that you guys are making too much of this problem. I solved it in 5 seconds in my head. This is what the PCAT truly tests - the ability to see through the apparent complexity of a problem and realize that it's actually quite simple. You don't need any calculus to solve this problem - just think about it and use common sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
Again, I think that you guys are making too much of this problem. I solved it in 5 seconds in my head. This is what the PCAT truly tests - the ability to see through the apparent complexity of a problem and realize that it's actually quite simple. You don't need any calculus to solve this problem - just think about it and use common sense.

I did all three of them in my head. I was just trying to type the thought process out so people will understand how I got there. I assumed 2 and 3 were seperate problems because I don't see how they relate to the tub and the water.

thanks a lot guys! u guys are helpful, by the way question number 2's answer is X/Y^1/3. ur explainations are great!

thanks a lot guys! u guys are helpful, by the way question number 2's answer is X/Y^1/3. ur explainations are great!

Geez, I feel like an idiot. I didn't realize that there was more than 1 problem there. I thought you were trying to use those equations to solve the bathtub problem. I feel like a *****. After all, I believe I was the one who said earlier, "The PCAT tests your ability to analyze problems and simplify them..." or something to that extent. Duh. :rolleyes:

Geez, I feel like an idiot. I didn't realize that there was more than 1 problem there. I thought you were trying to use those equations to solve the bathtub problem. I feel like a *****. After all, I believe I was the one who said earlier, "The PCAT tests your ability to analyze problems and simplify them..." or something to that extent. Duh. :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad - I was thinking the same thing myself :oops:

ahhh im lost

I think someone did the math wrong above me.

First when it is raised to a power multiply...
X^3YZ^2/ (X^2Y^4/3Z^2) =

Cancel Z^2
X^3Y/ (X^2Y^4/3) =

Then Simplify
XY/ Y^4/3

X/ Y^(1/3)

Check my math against the one above to see if im correct