Help with ROL please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1synapse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently going through my rank list and am having trouble with deciding whether I should rank some prelims higher than some advanced neuro programs, if I really would rather not go to them. I don't know if it's better to just match into a prelim I like and then reapply for neuro programs next year, or go to a program that I may not like as much (vs. not matching at all, which to me is the end of my world).

Any advice on my rank list after #1 and 2 are welcome too. Location and "feel" went into a lot of my choices.

Rush
Northwestern
UVA
Wash U
TJU
NYU
UChicago
Boston U
UMD
Montefiore
Beth Israel, NY

It's around U of Chicago/Boston, that I start thinking about adding in some prelim-only ranks.

Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a 4th year also applying to Neuro but here's my opinion

1) Neuro isn't super competitive. I've never heard of anyone, even people who aren't competitive applicants, going far down in their match list. So if you list about 8 neuro programs you will almost definitely get one.
2) Why don't you want to go to the programs at the end of your list? From what I have seen Neuro residencies are fairly similar in what they offer and most people who go into even a less prestigious Neuro residency can get a good fellowship and get a decent job. None of the programs on your list are bad IMO. It is understandable if the location of the program would create a large burden on you and your family (e.g. relocating, financial difficulties, the residency is in the middle of nowhere) or if they don't offer something that you think is essential for your career goals. I personally believe that even if I got a good or bad vibe about a program on my interview day it might not really reflect reality. By the time you start your PGY2 year, all the current PGY3 and 4s will be gone and new residents will be there, faculty can change, the rotation schedule can change. And if you dislike the programs that much then maybe you should just leave them off your list altogether.
3) I'm assuming that if you match to just a prelim you would want to interview at neuro programs during your prelim year. You wouldn't be able to get a categorical spot because you are already doing a prelim. And it would be very hard to schedule interviews during prelim year as you only get a limited amount of vacation and elective time. If you went with that strategy you probably would go on fewer interviews and might end up at a program that you like even less than BI NYC. Plus you will be guaranteed to have to take a year off between prelim and PGY2 unless you get a reserved spot (e.g. fill an opening for someone who dropped out).
4) If I was in a situation where I would have to either match to just a prelim or match to a neuro program that I really did not want to go to, I would choose to take the year off to do research while reapplying, and reapply to both prelims and neuro programs. Taking the time off might make you more competitive and you will have more flexibility during interview season.

I agree with the above. I would put the prelims after neuro programs you don't like. But it doesn't really matter. There's no way you'll go that far down your list

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with a few points that smmypnts said. I to am putting prelims above places id rather not go, but would rather go there then not match at all. but be careful--if they are neuro programs that are advanced-link, you are stuck there for your prelim and first year of neuro per the match agreement, rather than just one year like a categorical residency.

Thanks for the advice. As far as the bottom of my list goes, it's more about location than that the programs were bad/I didn't like them, hence UMD being further down. And the cost of location, like NYC, puts the other programs in New York lower down. I am certainly hoping I don't go down faron my list, but better safe than sorry. Thanks, all!

Hi all,

I am currently going through my rank list and am having trouble with deciding whether I should rank some prelims higher than some advanced neuro programs, if I really would rather not go to them. I don't know if it's better to just match into a prelim I like and then reapply for neuro programs next year, or go to a program that I may not like as much (vs. not matching at all, which to me is the end of my world).

Any advice on my rank list after #1 and 2 are welcome too. Location and "feel" went into a lot of my choices.

Rush
Northwestern
UVA
Wash U
TJU
NYU
UChicago
Boston U
UMD
Montefiore
Beth Israel, NY

It's around U of Chicago/Boston, that I start thinking about adding in some prelim-only ranks.

Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

Rush is a fantastic program, I hope it works out!!