Help with school list? 3.81 cGPA 516 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keepkeepingon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm planning to apply to med schools next cycle during my gap year and having received my MCAT scores recently, I'd like some insight on which schools to apply to because I'm more or less clueless right now. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated as I am open to going to medical school anywhere within the U.S.! Below are my stats (hours have been altered to reflect how many hours I'd expect to have by the time I apply):

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm planning to apply to med schools next cycle during my gap year and having received my MCAT scores recently, I'd like some insight on which schools to apply to because I'm more or less clueless right now. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated as I am open to going to medical school anywhere within the U.S.! Below are my stats (hours have been altered to reflect how many hours I'd expect to have by the time I apply):

CA resident
ORM
Ivy League (Currently a Senior)
cGPA: 3.81, MCAT: 516 (pretty even breakdown)
Clinical Volunteering: 450+ hours, 100 hours as a hospice volunteer and rest of the hours are as a volunteer EMT
Outside Volunteering: 150+ hours in soup kitchens and other similar events in the local area and surrounding community
Research: Upwards of 1000 hours in two different labs during my undergrad career, possible publication in the making
ECs: Pre med club, Rock Climbing Club, Volunteering Fraternity, Hospice Club, Peer Tutor, Advising Board for Undergrads
Shadowing: I have yet to do this but I expect I'd have around 30+ hrs by the time I apply

Thanks for your help! :)

You are in fantastic shape

Here is a rough guide of how I might start looking into schools in your case. Definitely not an exhaustive list below more a guide/heads tart

Einstein
USC
Emory
Rochester
Hofstra
Case Western
Miami
Tulane
Saint Louis
Medical college Wisconsin
UVA
Ohio State
Quinnipac
Oakland
Tufts
Wake Forest
Creighton
UCs(ditch riverside if you aren't from inland empire)
Your pick of several top 20 schools. In particular Duke Columbia Pitt Northwestern and Vanderbilt might be worth consideration. But as long as you cover your bases for lower tier and medium tier( I would say at least a dozen of these school types is a smart list)really many top 20 schools can be a decent choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user