Help with school list and some advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KobeMD

Lake Show
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, so I just finished my tentative list of schools that I want to apply to and could use some feedback and maybe some schools you guys think are worth applying to. I used the spreadsheet but I went more off of the MSAR with the out of state acceptances... I am from california so yeah. I'm not really aiming for top tier schools I just want an acceptance from somewhere and I'm not hellbent on staying in california as long as I get in somewhere I'll be happy :D.

Stats:
Currently at UC Irvine, Bio Major
32 MCAT 12P 8V 12B Writing: P
3.8 cGPA with 3.85-3.86 sGPA
Graduating this June! :clap:

Research - 3 years of research experience (in 3 different labs) 1 year in a eco evo lab, 2 years in a mol bio lab at UCI and 2 summers of research experience at UCSF in a stem cell lab. I have one publication coming out sometime this summer from my UCI lab. ~15-20 hrs a week for the past 3 years spent in these labs.

Work: Currently a Peer Advisor at UCI in the Bio Sci counseling department...pretty much a student counselor/mentor/guide for lower class men and upper class men alike. 10 hrs a week since last spring.
Also worked at panda express on campus in my second year for a couple months (might not add this in my application not sure yet)

Clinical/Volunteering:
I did intern in the hospital after I graduated high school, but not sure if med schools will consider this (did about 45 hrs of volunteering unfortunately the person who was watching over me passed away like 4 months ago so getting proof might be difficult).

Volunteer at the community clinic in my hometown in northern california starting last summer/winter break/spring break at about 5 hrs a week so total of like 90 hrs...will continue during my year off

Shadowed my physician for a couple weeks getting in total like 30 hrs?

LOR:
UCI research PI
UCSF research PI
O chem professor
and my current boss who is a bio sci counselor

Extracurriculars:
Vice president of scholarship in my fraternity for the past 2 years
Member of Student health outreach club - 2 hrs a week (going to preschools and giving presentations etc.)
Phi Beta Kappa honor society member & graduating with cum laude honors.

Now for my list of schools (I know this is getting long sorry! :( ) ignore the states next to them i put them there for my own reference cuz I forget sometimes what state the school is in :cool:

Albany Medical College – New York
Albert Einstein College of Medicine – New York
Boston University – Massachusetts
Creighton University – Nebraska
UCLA - California
Emory University – Georgia
George Washington University – District of Columbia
Georgetown University – District of Columbia
Johns Hopkins University – Maryland
USC – California
Loma Linda University – California
Medical College of Wisconsin – Wisconsin
New York Medical College – New York
Oregon Health and Science University – Oregon
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine – Illinois
Saint Louis University of Medicine – Missouri
Stanford University – California
Temple University – Pennsylvania
University of Toledo – Ohio
University of Vermont – Vermont
Tufts University – Massachusetts
UCSD – California
UCSF – California
UCD – California
UCI – California
University of Illinois at Chicago - Illinois
University of Missouri at Columbia – Missouri
Virginia Commonwealth University – Virginia
Virginia Tech - Virginia

So if anyone has any suggestions to change this list please let me know! (btw i'm only applying to hopkins because my brother goes there as an undergrad and apparently I might have a shot haha!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I could still use some advice if anyone has any to offer on schools I should be applying to, I'd really appreciate it thanks!

Check the OOS tuition at UIC and be sure you're fine with it.

Also read the selection factors for UMissouri-Columbia and look at OOS matriculants who aren't part of a special program. I don't have my MSAR with me so I can't check to see if I'm mis-recalling something. Do you have state ties?

Presumably you have no CC credits, as Creighton isn't friendly toward them, and you've read the Loma Linda Lifestyle Contract.