Help with school list, please! 3.64 gpa / 34 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

15brosam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little about me:
Stats: 12/11/11 MCAT, 3.64 cGPA (science is something similar, perhaps a tad lower)
School: Top 25 University
Major: Physics & Neuroscience, Magna Cum Laude in Neuroscience
ECs: Multiple leadership positions, multiple executive board positions, club sport for one year
Research: 2-3 years including one summer program, honors thesis, working on publication (neuroscience), also one semester of research in astrophysics
Clinical volunteering: About 150 hours hospital volunteering, preparing files and filling the waiting room coffee, etc; 1 week medical missions trip in Honduras with Global Medical Brigades
Non-clinical volunteering: about 80-100 hours in a food bank
Clinical experience: about 100 hours shadowing, but most importantly 500+ hours and counting scribing in an ER (taking 2 years off, will still do at least 9 more months of scribing)

Albert Einstein Medical College at Yeshiva
Baylor College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Columbia University School of Medicine
Drexel College of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
George Washington University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University - also possibly in state
Mercer University School of Medicine
Ohio State University of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
St. Louis University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Cincinatti School of Medicine - In state
University of Miami School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
The Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University
Weill Cornell School of Medicine

My top choice is Georgetown, I would looooove to go to Georgetown. What your thoughts on adding/taking away schools? I appreciate any advice so much, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How can you be IS for Georgia and Ohio? Even if it is I am IS for Ohio and have connections to Georgia realize Medical College of Georgia takes less than 4% of their class OOS. Even if you have ties to the state, it'll still be a pretty solid long shot.

Your list as a whole isn't too bad but there are some schools I'd remove. Invest in MSAR(if you haven't already) and check out 10th percentile GPAs and median MCATs of these schools.

Right off the bat I can tell you ditch Mercer(waste of time applying OOS), U of Wash(waste of time OOS if you aren't from the WWAS), Brown(unless you went here for undergrad I don't think your stats are competitive enough),

In addition I dont think these schools are particularly great choices: Mt Sinai(you are at their 10th percentile GPA and have a MCAT only 1 point above the 10th percentile, if you want reaches this probably isn't the right one). Also you have several low yield schools that while you are competitive for you can find better schools to use an application on: these include GW, Drexel, Temple(OOS 10k applicants and only 90/270 matriculate OOS). Baylor also while they proclaim no IS bias takes close to 80% of their class IS: for OOS a 3.65/34 may easily not be competitive enough.

So from that including your schools here is a list of your schools you listed I think are good bets in addition to some other ones I'll add that I think might be worth consideration. Note absolutely apply to ALL Ohio Schools. Also being from Ohio if you can interview decently I don't think you need that many lower tiers as you got several good ones in NE Ohio, Toledo and Wright State.

As for your dream school of Georgetown you are definitely competitive but so are TONs of other applicants who apply. Getting close to 15K apps a year will make a school pretty low yield even for applicants with solid stats. So apply away but have a solid thorough list and as always getting attached to any one school is foolish.

Einstein
Boston U
Case Western
Northeast Ohio
Toledo
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Wright State
Emory
Georgetown
Penn State
Saint Louis
Tulane
Miami
USC
Rochester
Hofstra
Tufts
Wake Forest
Duke
Cornell

Also, if you take 2 years off you might be the type of non-trad Dartmouth looks for but it's hard to say. All in all you look like a very solid candidate when you do apply for a large number of lower tier and medium tier schools and it might be worth a stab at a couple of the bigger names.

Last edited:
@GrapesofRath Thank you so much for your honest reply. I would be interested to hear if anyone has any conflicting or corroborating opinions, as well as testimonies from previous applicants with similar stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
U Wash is 100% out of the picture. It's a waste of a primary fee. Grapes's list looks pretty good. There's no reason to ditch Icahn and keep Cornell: they're both gonna be reaches. Pick the one you like better, or if you're a min-maxing realist who is hellbent on getting as many IIs as possible regardless of whether you like the school ditch both and replace them with Vermont or something.

I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg or less by 0.1-2 points.. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for a few of those.

U VM

U Toledo (maybe)

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush

Rosy Franklin

NYMC

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

Tulane

USC/Keck

Loyola

USF Morsani

Emory

BU

Mayo

Duke

Case

Baylor

JHU

Pitt

Northwestern

NYU

Vanderbilt

Columbia

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.

Your state school(s).

A little about me:
Stats: 12/11/11 MCAT, 3.64 cGPA (science is something similar, perhaps a tad lower)
School: Top 25 University
Major: Physics & Neuroscience, Magna Cum Laude in Neuroscience
ECs: Multiple leadership positions, multiple executive board positions, club sport for one year
Research: 2-3 years including one summer program, honors thesis, working on publication (neuroscience), also one semester of research in astrophysics
Clinical volunteering: About 150 hours hospital volunteering, preparing files and filling the waiting room coffee, etc; 1 week medical missions trip in Honduras with Global Medical Brigades
Non-clinical volunteering: about 80-100 hours in a food bank
Clinical experience: about 100 hours shadowing, but most importantly 500+ hours and counting scribing in an ER (taking 2 years off, will still do at least 9 more months of scribing)

Albert Einstein Medical College at Yeshiva
Baylor College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Columbia University School of Medicine
Drexel College of Medicine
Duke University School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
George Washington University School of Medicine
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Regents University - also possibly in state
Mercer University School of Medicine
Ohio State University of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
St. Louis University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Cincinatti School of Medicine - In state
University of Miami School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
The Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University
Weill Cornell School of Medicine

My top choice is Georgetown, I would looooove to go to Georgetown. What your thoughts on adding/taking away schools? I appreciate any advice so much, thanks!