Help with school list please! 32, 3.85, ME resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flu_swabber

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just need some helping making a list of schools. I think I'm still a little too top-heavy because of my MCAT (9PS, 11VR, 12 BS). My GPA is balanced, both will be in the 3.83-3.87 range. Maine Resident, caucasian.

Some more vague info:
4000 hours ER tech
1000 hours undergrad research, no pubs yet (being written now)
1000 hours medical volunteering in central america
~150 hours non-medical community service

Strong letters, strong PS.

Here's what I'm working with so far, no particular order:
Albert Einstein
Vermont
Miami
Georgetown
George Washington
USC
Tufts
Jefferson
Temple
BU
Colorado
UNC
Dartmouth
Baylor
Pitt

Considering:
UCLA
UCSD
Vandy
Northwestern
NYU
Virginia

Any suggestions on what I should add/remove?

Members don't see this ad.

How long have you been involved w/ research? 1000 hours over 6 months isn't going to be looked at as favorably as 1000 hours over 3 years. I also think that not having shadowing could hurt you. I'd consider getting rid of USC (they have a pretty strong instate preference and it seems like you need a hook to get in as OOS), Colorado (very expensive OOS), maybe either Gtown, GW, or BU since all three of those schools get 10k+ applications. I wouldn't apply to any of the UCs, and your MCAT is 10% for Vandy, NW, NYU, and UVA. Throw in some more safeties, like Drexel, Albany, Creighton, Loyola, SLU and you're good.

Goro suggests:

Tufts
Penn State
Georgetown
Miami
Rush
SLU
MCW
Creighton
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Tulane
Loyola
Any new MD school, especially Quinnipiac
Any DO program. UNECOM is in your backyard.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long have you been involved w/ research? 1000 hours over 6 months isn't going to be looked at as favorably as 1000 hours over 3 years. I also think that not having shadowing could hurt you. I'd consider getting rid of USC (they have a pretty strong instate preference and it seems like you need a hook to get in as OOS), Colorado (very expensive OOS), maybe either Gtown, GW, or BU since all three of those schools get 10k+ applications. I wouldn't apply to any of the UCs, and your MCAT is 10% for Vandy, NW, NYU, and UVA. Throw in some more safeties, like Drexel, Albany, Creighton, Loyola, SLU and you're good.

Goro suggests:

Tufts
Penn State
Georgetown
Miami
Rush
SLU
MCW
Creighton
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Tulane
Loyola
Any new MD school, especially Quinnipiac
Any DO program. UNECOM is in your backyard.

Thanks Goro! What about Vermont? And MSAR says Dartmouth has same 10% and median MCAT as Tufts; any reason why you excluded it?

Go for VT and Dartmouth; I tend to shy away from Tufts these days given the obscene tuition they charge and student debt load on top of that (something that US Snooze and Snore Report conveniently forgets to mention). But I'm aware it's in your backyard. If you can wrangle some aid from them, then sure, include them on the list.

Thanks Goro! What about Vermont? And MSAR says Dartmouth has same 10% and median MCAT as Tufts; any reason why you excluded it?

Go for VT and Dartmouth; I tend to shy away from Tufts these days given the obscene tuition they charge and student debt load on top of that (something that US Snooze and Snore Report conveniently forgets to mention). But I'm aware it's in your backyard. If you can wrangle some aid from them, then sure, include them on the list.

Awesome!

PS. Tufts has a Maine Track program for Maine residents where they knock off about half of tuition... which is why it is absolutely on my list. Cheers and thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user