MD Help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Labkid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never made one of these threads so I don't know all the information you guys would like to see but I'll put up everything I know off-hand and supply more as you ask for it.

cGPA 3.253 sGPA 3.57

I have not taken the MCAT (Will take on OCT. 25th) and was told you can apply and they will wait for the scores to come in. I am shooting for at least a 32 and have gotten 30 on the practice so I am still studying hard.

I have 1 more year (this & next semester) before I am done with university. I am aiming to do some volunteering hopefully right after I receive my scores (if satisfactory) just in case I don't make it in this time. This way I'll have started on volunteer hours already for next app process.

Shadowing: CV (6hrs), Gastro (20-30hrs), Peds (20-30hrs), Trauma (80+hrs)
Volunteer: None (I have e-mail, called multiple times they don't tend to reply to me, will keep trying)
Research: Will be doing a 3-4 credit hour research for a semester in a E-Microscope lab

I know the professors from which I want a letter of recommendation from, all of whom have previously written me great rec letters previously and have agreed to write me one again at any time I need it. All I need to do is ask. (2 science professors, 1 non-science)

I don't know if it makes much a difference but the resident I shadow I have gotten to know pretty well. I only get to shadow him on call so it's always trauma but I could ask him to write me a letter of recommendation.

Current School List: (Haven't looked much further than SC since money is an issue for me)

• MUSC
  • USC Medicine Greenville
  • USC Medicine

Couple of things about me:
  • Started as Undeclared Averaged a GPA of around 3.3 all years to 1st Junior semester b/c I didn't know what I wanted at the time
  • Was a Business double major Marketing/Entrepreneurship which is why I have 130+ cred hrs
  • Switched to Biology last semester (2nd Semester Senior year) made a 3.72 and got Dean's List
  • All science classes I have made mostly A's/B+'s and 2 B's (1 lecture, 1 lab)
I understand the cGPA is horrible and the sGPA is barley above the "average", from what I've been told. I was hoping that they'd see as soon as I switched to something I loved that I became extremely dedicated and started becoming a better student even though my work load grew exponentially.

The last good thing I think of is that most of the people in the hospital know me by now because I'm constantly in there (for someone who isn't pre-med). I've met a lot of doctors and am constantly networking in hopes it helps just a bit more. So hopefully that helps my chances later on after med-school.

As always thanks for all the help you guys are great!

EDIT: I realize it's hard to give me ideas without an MCAT score, obviously I am not on the best "timeline" for med school and that will make things a bit more difficult.

I'm just looking for an idea of where to apply if I get at least a 30 MCAT and where that would put me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For the SC schools, your sGPA is still below avg, and the cGPA is <10th %ile. I recommend not applying unless you can get your cGPA > 3.3.

The only school you're competitive for would be VCOM-SC. There are several COMs in neighboring states for which you're also competitive.

I understand the cGPA is horrible and the sGPA is barley above the "average", from what I've been told. I was hoping that they'd see as soon as I switched to something I loved that I became extremely dedicated and started becoming a better student even though my work load grew exponentially.

The last good thing I think of is that most of the people in the hospital know me by now because I'm constantly in there (for someone who isn't pre-med). I've met a lot of doctors and am constantly networking in hopes it helps just a bit more. So hopefully that helps my chances later on after med-school.

As always thanks for all the help you guys are great!

EDIT: I realize it's hard to give me ideas without an MCAT score, obviously I am not on the best "timeline" for med school and that will make things a bit more difficult.

I'm just looking for an idea of where to apply if I get at least a 30 MCAT and where that would put me.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's about the answer I was expecting right now.

I still have this semester and next so it's more than possible right now for both of those GPAs to go much higher (the cGPA I when I calculated it seemed likely for me to get at least a 3.35 and at max somewhere in the 3.4 range).