MD Help with School List!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illuminate7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All, thank you in advance for helping out with the application process!
I'll be applying this upcoming June, so it'll be the 2017 cycle (current Junior)
Here's the quick and dirty rundown of my CV- will be leaving out some specifics for brevity.

cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS

cGPA: 3.95 sGPA: 3.98
Will graduate with a B.S. in Neuroscience

MCAT score(s) and breakdown
MCAT: 130 CP, 127 CARS, 130 BB, 126 PS 513 total
(not happy with it, but I understand it's probably not worth retaking)
  1. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
New York resident currently, but am moving to PA in late February

Ethnicity and/or race: Caucasian

Undergraduate institution or category: Private Liberal Arts

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
- 80 hours working as an Emergency Room patient and visitor liaison assisting clinical and non-clinical staff with fulfilling patient needs as well as as facilitating visitor interactions
-Paid summer internship: clinical and administrative service line work- worked with administration, physicians/practices, and patients to help develop a new marketing plan + website for multi-hospital system. Also worked with underprivileged communities in my city to educate and ensure patient access to available care

Research experience and productivity

1.5 years in a cellular and molecular neuroscience/pharmacology lab which I will continue with until graduation
Work to elucidate the binding/efficacy of various compounds on the GABA receptor + working towards discovering/mapping the binding pocket of these compounds through mutant analysis
Molecular Biology and Physiology work with DNA/RNA/Mutants frog surgery /two electrode-voltage clamping etc etc.
Will be receiving a paid grant for 8 weeks of research this summer- will absolutely have a poster by July (probably present at SFN) - will be published in a heavy hitting journal most likely before graduation

Shadowing experience and specialties represented

-80 hours in a for credit internship at local hospital: Ob/Gyn, Emergency dpt, internal med, trauma and critical care, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, general surgery, interventional radiology + int. cardiology, general surgery, anesthesiology, attending lectures for residents/med students

Individual Shadowing:
-8 hours internal med, 24 hours pediatrics, 24 hours neonatology, 4 hours vascular surgery, 8 hours Ob/Gyn

Non-clinical volunteering:
Local after school program at an elementary school with goal of establishing and maintaining active lifestyle
Peer Mentor for local at-risk high school students : 30 hours

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
Vice President and acting Risk Manager of Fraternity immediately after becoming a brother
Student Government elected official
Class Representative for Scholars Program
Paid student tutor for Bio, Chem, Organic Chem
Outdoors club to get out of the classroom and enjoy life :)

Relevant honors or awards:
Scholars program at institution
Student Rep for Neuro Dept at various events

Will be studying abroad this Spring Semester where I will be taking a class where I work in various European city hospitals, and I also plan to continue volunteering in the city where I'm abroad (and other cool non-science classes)

Here's my rough/preliminary school list:
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
U. Penn
U. Pitt
Jefferson
Einstein
Columbia
U. Buffalo
NYU
U. of Rochester
Cornell
BU
Tufts
UVA
Duke
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
Case Western
Vermont
(Maybe California schools?)
Yale?

I'd love any suggestions or critiques of my school list/application- Not sure if I'm applying too top heavy or I could use more safeties..?
I know I'll have stellar LoR's and am confident in my interview ability as well

Thank you so much!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Keep boosting the volunteering experiences both clinically and non clinically but otherwise you are a good candidate for the programs in your state.

Add all the SUNYs, Albany and NYMC. Keep maybe 2-3 of the schools with 35+ MCAT medians; get rid of the rest. Go through MSAR to find more realistic schools to replace them and you'll be set.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I recommend the following:

U VM
USF Morsani
Duke (maybe)
Case
Mayo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
Hofstra
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC/Keck
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.
All SUNYs
Any DO program, starting with PCOM, NYITCOM, UNECOM and Touro-NY

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the honest suggestions, this helps tremendously. I really appreciate it!