Help with Schools List *Low GPA*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSU24601

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am having difficulty determining which schools would be “low-gpa friendly” when constructing my final school list. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

STATS
3rd time re-applicant
Asian-American non-URM
Michigan Resident

Ugrad GPA: 2.99 sci/3.01 nonsci /3.00 cumulative [Biochemistry BS] (2014 application)
Grad GPA: 3.87 all science, 21credits [Basic Medical Sciences MS]
AACOMAS GPA: 3.21 sci/3.01 nonsci/3.14 cumulative (2015 Application)
MCAT: 29S 9PS/10V/10BS – 09/2012

Work Experience:
1. Research Assistant – 600 Hours [2010-11]
2. Lab Tech – 600 Hours [2007-2009]
3. Investment Portfolio Manager’s asst – 250 hours [2009]

Extra-Curricular:
1. Hospital/Clinic Volunteering – 316 Hours (Hospital ER, Psychiatric Clinic, Hospital Cardiothoracic Post-Op, two free clinics in detroit)
2. Community Service Volunteering – 350 Hours (Habitat for Humanity, Redcross)
3. Physician Shadowing – 200 Hours ( Multiple IM, Psychiatry, Gen. Surg, Orth, Surg 4 DOs, 3 MDs)
4. Research: 2 Labs in ugrad, total of ~1000 hrs ( not including “work Experience” labs)
5. Multiple presentations and posters for research
6. 1 Publication in JBC (Second Author)
7. Artistic: Multiple Indian dance and singing performances in ugrad
8. Sports: Muay Thai and BJJ since 2007

Note: Some of the hours seem inflated to me when I look at them like this, but in my app I break down my weekly hours, or explain anything that cant be documented with payslips or contact info.

School List:
1. MSUCOM
2. LECOM-E
3. LECOM-B
4. …?

Note 2: Last year I applied very early, and broadly, but got rejected without a single interview. I called CCOM and they pretty much scoffed at my GPA, saying a 3.6 would be competitive for them.

I appreciate any help, and will answer any questions you may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a question -- are you both a MSU student and Jean Valjean?

Good job with that grad GPA. I know some schools look mostly at the last ~30 credits, so maybe someone a little more in-the-know can comment on which schools might look most favorably on the Master's. I had a similar sGPA and was accepted, so it's not impossible... However, I do think that the mediocre GPA (any reason why your non-science is so low?) along with a mediocre MCAT does you no favors. However, your ECs are great!! Having applied two other times, did you get any feedback other than the scoff from CCOM?

Some around here would tell you that you'll be fine if you apply broadly. I can really only comment on MSUCOM, and that I think you'll have a bit of trouble standing out enough to be reviewed at a committee meeting (even with the ECs). One stat they like to throw around is that only the "top 20%" of applicants are reviewed.

Do some research on the newer schools, apply broadly, and I think you'll have success. I hope MSUCOM treats you nicely, since you've clearly done a lot to improve your application. :)

Last edited:
Here's a question -- are you both a MSU student and Jean Valjean?

Good job with that grad GPA. I know some schools look mostly at the last ~30 credits, so maybe someone a little more in-the-know can comment on which schools might look most favorably on the Master's. I had a similar sGPA and was accepted, so it's not impossible... don't listen to that bad advice from CCOM! However, I do think that the mediocre GPA along with a mediocre MCAT does you no favors. However, your ECs are great!! Having applied two other times, did you get any feedback other than the scoff from CCOM?

Some around here would tell you that you'll be fine if you apply broadly. I can really only comment on MSUCOM, and that I think you'll have a bit of trouble standing out enough to be reviewed at a committee meeting (even with the ECs). One stat they like to throw around is that only the "top 20%" of applicants are reviewed.

Do some research on the newer schools, apply broadly, and I think you'll have success. I hope MSUCOM treats you nicely, since you've clearly done a lot to improve your application. :)

Thanks for your input and encouraging words.
I am an MSU alum, but I am more of a Javert than a JVj now after two cycles.

CCOM also told me that my MCAT was right on their average, but I have been planning to retake around Mid Aug.

And also I now realize that interesting ECs mean nothing if you get screened out of the GPA/MCAT sieves, so I want to apply to <15 schools that will look past my weak GPA

Members don't see this ad :)

CCOM also told me that my MCAT was right on their average, but I have been planning to retake around Mid Aug.

And also I now realize that interesting ECs mean nothing if you get screened out of the GPA/MCAT sieves, so I want to apply to <15 schools that will look past my weak GPA .

forgive me to ask but for the previous two cycles, how many schools did you apply to?

from the judge of it, the first two times you have sub-3.0 GPA?

And also I now realize that interesting ECs mean nothing if you get screened out of the GPA/MCAT sieves, so I want to apply to <15 schools that will look past my weak GPA .
Exactly -- getting someone to look at your whole application is the key, because I think you'll do pretty well at that point. That might not happen at MSU because of your numbers. However, if you can really kick ass on the MCAT, it'll make a world of difference (I know this firsthand!). You just need a score that is congruent with your great experiences and grad GPA. You know -- to show that you're a new person and that the 3.0 is not reflective of your current capabilities. Are you expecting a good jump in MCAT score?

My advice, as I said before, is to apply very broadly to the newer set of schools as well as to LECOM and MSUCOM.

forgive me to ask but for the previous two cycles, how many schools did you apply to?

from the judge of it, the first two times you have sub-3.0 GPA?.

2013: Applied LATE, 13 schools with 3.12sci/3.20non-sci
2014: Applied Early, 18 schools with 2.99sci/3.01 non-sci

Exactly -- getting someone to look at your whole application is the key, because I think you'll do pretty well at that point. That might not happen at MSU because of your numbers. However, if you can really kick ass on the MCAT, it'll make a world of difference (I know this firsthand!). You just need a score that is congruent with your great experiences and grad GPA. You know -- to show that you're a new person and that the 3.0 is not reflective of your current capabilities. Are you expecting a good jump in MCAT score?

My advice, as I said before, is to apply very broadly to the newer set of schools as well as to LECOM and MSUCOM. .

Most people from my MS program see a 2-3 point increase in BS. Im expecting as much, but I am really focusing on PS this time around.

Most people from my MS program see a 2-3 point increase in BS. Im expecting as much, but I am really focusing on PS this time around. .
Great. Well good luck to you for this (hopefully final!) round. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions about MSUCOM or other Michigan medical schools. I interviewed at a number of them!

Great. Well good luck to you for this (hopefully final!) round. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions about MSUCOM or other Michigan medical schools. I interviewed at a number of them! .

Thank you, If I get II's Ill send you a PM.

I think that undergrad GPA is whats holding you back.

MUCOM, CUSOM, WCU, ACOM, LMU-DCOM, KYCOM are some you should consider.

Also if you rock the MCAT and get a 32+ score, apply to the Touros. They love high MCATs can be forgiving about a lower GPA as long as your MCAT is high enough or you will at least get interviews.

I would add nova , kcom and soma
MUCOM, CUSOM, WCU, ACOM, LMU-DCOM, KYCOM are some you should consider.

Also if you rock the MCAT and get a 32+ score, apply to the Touros. They love high MCATs can be forgiving about a lower GPA as long as your MCAT is high enough or you will at least get interviews.

@MSU24601 .... I don't think your 29 MCAT score is the issue. Your GPAs are IMO... If you are not restricted by geographic location, in addition to what a couple of posters mentioned above, you should add VCOM, WVSOM, LUCOM, PCOM-GA...

Reactions: 1 users
Just apply broadly and you'll be fine. So skip CCOM...I have a lot of respect for them, but they have no right to skoff at you like a typical MD school would. It's not like they're Pritzker.

My school will take you!

Reactions: 4 users
Just apply broadly and you'll be fine. So skip CCOM...I have a lot of respect for them, but they have no right to skoff at you like a typical MD school would. It's not like they're Pritzker.

My school will take you!

Back in the day, CCOM did the same thing to me - I called them to talk about what I would need to do to make myself a competitive applicant there and they literally laughed at my sub-3.0 GPA. But that conversation, uncomfortable as it may be, was what motivated me to quit my job and commit myself to a post-bac. Then once I was ready to apply, I left them off my school list because they were jerks. Don't let them get you down, OP. I went from 0 invites my first AND second round, to getting accepted at every school I applied to the third time around. A low undergrad GPA can be turned around!

Reactions: 2 users
2013: Applied LATE, 13 schools with 3.12sci/3.20non-sci
2014: Applied Early, 18 schools with 2.99sci/3.01 non-sci.

Just wondering how Kate you applied the first time??