PhD/PsyD Help with setting salary requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milk Milk Milk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be wrapping-up my postdoc here in a few months and I have begun interviewing for an AMC clinical psychologist "specialty" (read: not general MH clinic, instead medical unit) position that is 100% clinical. On two occassions I have been presented with the question, "what's your salary requirement?" This question was asked of me at a site in a large city in Arizona as well as at a site in NYC. I have been given time to answer but I will need to continue that conversation in the near future.

I've done some preliminary reading of APA stats (a bit dated) and have "asked around" to some colleagues however, 1) none of the colleagues I have queried work in these geographic regions - either currently or in the past, 2) the majority of my contacts are either in the VA system or in PP, and 3) the remaining contacts who are in AMCs have a component of "soft" money in their jobs.

I understand that the answer to the salary question is truly multifaceted ("it depends") but I would appreciate some general input, guidelines, experiences about ECP salary in 100% clinical AMC settings, especially in a "major city" vs "less major city". I don't want to get to salary negotiations and under-sell myself just as surely as I don't want to swing the other way.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, those dated stats are probably fairly accurate as it is my understanding that our wages have been pretty flat for about ten years. I am not sure what an AMC psychologist is so wouldn't be able to advise on that but it is my understanding that a newly licensed psychologist should be looking at 80k minimum for a full-time position anywhere. Anything less than that and I think you are being undervalued.

Well, its better to throw high and come down. I don't think anyone will reject you out of hand for a salary they cant meet. You are interviewing them too, and they know it.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the Bay Area you can expect 100-105 for general psych jobs at the Kaisers/John Muir and about 110+ for more specialized positions (neuropsych, etc). The local VAs start at 97.5, so you could look up the GS13 pay rate for your cities, and do a little bump up for the private sector estimate.

This is a website that discloses salaries for some employees in NYC and the surrounding areas- you can look up salaries by title -ie Psychologist III or by actual person- it has many of the major hospitals

http://seethroughny.net/payrolls/

All states have a web site to look up state employee salaries. That's the best way to make sure you don't low-ball yourself.

Agreed. This and the VA pay scales for your area should give you a good idea of what to consider on the mid- to lower-end. They aren't necessarily the salaries I'd initially propose, but if that's where the final offer stood and it was accompanied by a tolerable schedule/RVU requirement and solid benefits, I'd be ok with it.

My RVU range is very easily attainable in the VA. I stay busy but not overwhelmed or anything close to it. Is mine just set lower cause we don't have the pressure to turn profit?

My RVU range is very easily attainable in the VA. I stay busy but not overwhelmed or anything close to it. Is mine just set lower cause we don't have the pressure to turn profit?

My understanding is that we are a good deal below what is required in some for-profit areas. Which is good, so I don't have to throw on a bunch of additional tests just to meet my time and billing requirements when I don't need the data.

My understanding is that if this were a VA position, I'd likely be hired as a GS-12 (Step 1?). For NYC that translates to a salary of a little bit more than $78k and for Arizona about $71k. Oathkeeper, the link to state salalries was very helpful, thank you. In fact, thank you all for your replies.

AMC = Academic Medical Center. The RVU expectations vary vastly between these two sites and indeed that will play a part in salary requirement as well as negotiating other benefits. Speaking of those other benefits, I have been told to inquire into loan repayment and daycare subsidy. Are there any other "hidden" benefits" y'all know of?

Payment for CEUs, license and association dues. I get up to 5k a year for this and it includes going to conferences. Airfare, room, meals. Works out to a nice little vacation.

Speaking of those other benefits, I have been told to inquire into loan repayment and daycare subsidy. Are there any other "hidden" benefits" y'all know of?

All sorts of stuff. If it is a public university you should inquire if there is a pension plan (HUGE factor if they offer a decent match %, free/discounted healthcare, etc). Some AMCs will offer assistance for adoption, free legal services, discounted/free tuition for you and/or your family members at the affiliated university, etc.