Help with SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest slowing down. You're projecting into a future that is too fictional, and your next step is too important to trivialize.

A 24 and a 19 says that your MCAT is a major problem that isn't going to be fixed by 2 months of 20 hour weeks. That level of effort is appropriate for trying to get from maybe 28 to 32. You need 11 more points, from that 19, to get to where you can consider applying to good SMPs. 24 and 19 don't say "I need more prep." 24 and 19 " say "I don't know the content yet."

I recommend that you consider a September test date, and figure out how to dedicate six months of work to relearning the content and drilling it. Get into a rigorous prep program and be ready to hire a tutor. You may want to also work through the Examkracker 1001 books.

Meanwhile, the number of SMPs that offer anything resembling a host MD school admission guarantee is down to 1 (Temple). There are URM programs that offer strong host MD school linkage. But you can't assume you can get into a US MD school simply by attending Gtown or the other programs you list. You get no credit for enrolling in an SMP if you're taking the SMP because of low stats. Med schools will not see "I will start an SMP next month" and think "oh he/she is taking care of things and we can relax about the low GPA and multiple MCAT attempts."

Regardless, the idea that you would have a good MCAT score, a good SMP admission, and a good MD application by next June/July is pure fantasy. If this pisses you off and makes you go pop a 32 in March, fabulous, come back and tell us all about it. But if you want a reasonable plan for your situation, you should s l o w w a y d o w n.

A reasonable alternative that might make you feel more in control would be the 2 year masters programs at DO schools, where they'll take you with your current stats and you'll be a med student if you do well in the program.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
SMPs are not for MCAT recovery - that's a $60k expense when less than $2k prep course and some hard work will see you very well prepared

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes my knowledge of the MCAT content is on the weaker side but I know the actual reason for that low score. I did not study as much as I should have, did not have a rigorous plan that I could follow everyday and frankly slacked off quite a bit. Combined with working 40 hours a week, it lead to very poor preparation for the test.
OK, but this happened TWICE. The MCAT isn't a punch card that gets you a free burrito. Don't look for a reason for it to be okay that you did poorly. Look for things you can fix about yourself and fix them.

I recently came across SN2ed's 3 or 4 month intense study plan on SDN's MCAT forums (which includes EK1001 books as well as Berkeley Review). Because of this I'm going to try to quit my job and spend quite a bit of time simply understanding the concepts and working through Full Lengths. I believe the scores I got do not represent my true ability since I did not dedicate my entire self to the MCAT preparation. Now that I am backed into a corner I have no choice but to step up. (If you have any recommendations for a different rigorous prep program, please let me know)
Full lengths are not content review. Leave full lengths alone. Doing full lengths uses up your full lengths, which are in limited quantity. Save full lengths until the last month of prep since you've already taken the real thing.

You need to sign up for a formal months-long program, and do EXACTLY WHAT IS ADVISED every day. Doesn't matter that the new starcraft expansion came out or that you haven't seen Ender's yet or that somebody messaged you on facebook. I don't recommend the online version because it's too easy to blow off. Assume you have problems with discipline, focus and time management that you must solve if you want to go to med school.
With that being said I plan on taking the MCAT in May with my results available sometime in June. Do you think I could be competitive at legitimate SMPs with a score that comes out so late (assuming a good score)
No.
or should I wait to apply for SMPs the year after?
Yes.
In either case I would prefer to apply to MD/DO this June.
Huge mistake to do that. Med school apps are also not a burrito punch card.
I am actually also interested in a 2 year masters program that can give me a strong chance to get into a DO program. Would you mind telling me which schools offer such a program or point me in the right direction?
Yes I'd mind, since I spent so much time creating content for the benefit of those looking for it, right here in this forum, and since there are threads for most programs with commentary from current students, right here in this forum. Top link in the stickies.

Get to work please.

Nova offers a 2 year masters program that once you complete will guarantee acceptance into the DO program.

LECOM main campus also offers a masters program with direct linkage into DO class.

Not sure of the requirements, but a simple google search will help. Good luck!