This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student1222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am deciding on doing a SMP because of my low GPA. Here are my stats and ECs.

3. 21 cGPA
3. 24 sGPA
MCAT not taken.
GRE 317 (unofficial score)

ECs.
- 1 year of research at Lab at Cleveland Clinic (have done poster presentation about it as well)
- 2 year of research at a Psychology Lab.
- 140 hours of volunteering.
- 70 hours of volunteering.
- 3.5 years of part-time job (20 hours/ week) (work study)
- few school clubs, but not in a leadership role.

Because of my low GPA, I decided to go on the path of SMP.

Here are my current lists of schools I applied to.
- Boston University: MAMS
- Loyola: MSMP
- Tufts: MBS
- Case Western Reserve University: Medical Physiology
- Tulane
- Icahn School: MS in Biomedical Sciences.

Do you guys have any other suggestions or any advice for me?

Members don't see this ad.

The easiest choice would be CWRU since you're already in Cleveland. Unless you hate that lake effect snow.

The easiest choice would be CWRU since you're already in Cleveland. Unless you hate that lake effect snow.

Yea, that seems likely choice, but I have not heard back yet.
I do hate the lake effect, but I really do not care much about weather or location. I do not have a permanent home in the US, so I guess I can go wherever I want or get accepted to.

Do you have any other schools you might suggest for me to look at?

Members don't see this ad :)
In Ohio, try OSU and Cinci as well. Duke also has their new MS in biomedical science which I've heard positive things about. I'm sure Indiana also has some SMP as well.

In Ohio, try OSU and Cinci as well. Duke also has their new MS in biomedical science which I've heard positive things about. I'm sure Indiana also has some SMP as well.

I looked at Cinci and they require a MCAT score. I also got rejected from Duke.
I guess my list is limited without a MCAT score.

You really should not be thinking about an SMP plan without an MCAT score. Trying to look for one that will take you without an MCAT is a bad idea.

If you dont get an MD caliber MCAT score dont do an SMP. Do grade replacement for a couple classes to raise your DO GPA, and apply DO and to your MD state schools.

The SMP discussion should only come into play if you have an MD caliber application outside of your numerical undergrad GPA. Many of these programs that dont require an MCAT score are the ones you want to avoid. They have no problem taking your 50k and giving you what is basically a masters degree that wont be really recognized as an SMP, where you wont be taking many classes with med students and that has no practical value in the real world. For what you need those just arent a good use of time and money.

The good SMPs, the ones that consistently get large proportions of people into US MD schools, often the MCAT is a major thing they use in admission. Cincinnati which you mentioned is what you might consider one of the best, maybe to some even the best, SMP program out there. The MCAT is probably the single most important factor in admission to that program.

IF you want to get into a worthwhile SMP program, you really want an MCAT score. In this era there are so many of the cash cow type programs that dont have any track record of getting a large number of grads into US MD schools. A number of them will readily take you without an MCAT because well, they really just dont care about whether people are getting into US MD schools after graduating. $$$$ drives their model. Those are the ones to avoid completely.

Reactions: 4 users
You really should not be thinking about an SMP plan without an MCAT score. Trying to look for one that will take you without an MCAT is a bad idea.

If you dont get an MD caliber MCAT score dont do an SMP. Do grade replacement for a couple classes to raise your DO GPA, and apply DO and to your MD state schools.

The SMP discussion should only come into play if you have an MD caliber application outside of your numerical undergrad GPA. Many of these programs that dont require an MCAT score are the ones you want to avoid. They have no problem taking your 50k and giving you what is basically a masters degree that wont be really recognized as an SMP, where you wont be taking many classes with med students and that has no practical value in the real world. For what you need those just arent a good use of time and money.

The good SMPs, the ones that consistently get large proportions of people into US MD schools, often the MCAT is a major thing they use in admission. Cincinnati which you mentioned is what you might consider one of the best, maybe to some even the best, SMP program out there. The MCAT is probably the single most important factor in admission to that program.

IF you want to get into a worthwhile SMP program, you really want an MCAT score. In this era there are so many of the cash cow type programs that dont have any track record of getting a large number of grads into US MD schools. A number of them will readily take you without an MCAT because well, they really just dont care about whether people are getting into US MD schools after graduating. $$$$ drives their model. Those are the ones to avoid completely.

Thank you for your great input. What do you think about the CWRU program?

Thank you for your great input. What do you think about the CWRU program?

Whether or not you get into a decent SMP is not the point here. The point is that without an MD caliber MCAT score, you will very likely never get into an MD school, even with an SMP. If you don't have a realistic chance at MD, then an SMP is not in your best interest, and you should focus your efforts on grade replacement and try for DO.

Reactions: 1 users
Whether or not you get into a decent SMP is not the point here. The point is that without an MD caliber MCAT score, you will very likely never get into an MD school, even with an SMP. If you don't have a realistic chance at MD, then an SMP is not in your best interest, and you should focus your efforts on grade replacement and try for DO.

Thank you so much. I guess I have two options for now.
1. Go get a job for next year and take the MCAT. Depending on the MCAT, decide to go to SMP or not.
2. Get into a SMP, try to study for the MCAT, and wish everything goes well.

Reactions: 1 user
So, what would be the best option out of the two?

Also, if you like the second option. Any SMP suggestions?

You are missing the whole MCAT point. #2 is pretty much what you are wanting/planning to do now.
Grapes, I think meant, if the SMP doesn't require the MCAT for admission there is no point in going. The most reputable SMPs require the MCAT. So your best bet seems to be #1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
You are missing the whole MCAT point. #2 is pretty much what you are wanting/planning to do now.
Grapes, I think meant, if the SMP doesn't require the MCAT for admission there is no point in going. The most reputable SMPs require the MCAT. So your best bet seems to be #1.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I see. Thank you so much for your input.