Help writing personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Phil Inn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am trying to write my personal statement to apply for advanced standing programs, but am suffering from writer's block. Thought it'd be a good idea to open a new thread so everyone applying in the future can also benefit.

Any help in what should be included in applications would be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Dr Phil,
while writing a personal statement,the following points have to be covered:
1.why did u join dentistry?
2.a little about yourself and a little about your family background
3.career-goals
4.why are you choosing the school which you are applying to..
5.why should the school choose you ahead of other people..
well...i covered the above points...while writing my own personal statement and a very good friend of mine helped me out with it!
personal statements differ from one individual to another...i got these tips while i was applying to one of the schools,which required the above points.
hope it helps... :thumbup:
Dr Phil Inn said:
Hi all,

I am trying to write my personal statement to apply for advanced standing programs, but am suffering from writer's block. Thought it'd be a good idea to open a new thread so everyone applying in the future can also benefit.

Thanks

Dr Phil Inn said:
Hi all,

Thanks
(I am going to assume that you already know not to lie in the SOP or make it too wordy.If you do have tons of experience do cross reference it to your CV :) .You cant get it done in a day or a week.It is a working progress and for most people it take about a month to do a great job)
With that said-
Remember that it must bring out your personality and uniqueness..sometimes it is the very thing that makes you stand out in a sea of applicants (so no pressure :smuggrin: )
What you put in you SOP is fair game in the interviews,you will be asked to eloborate on it.(is a breeze right?)
SO,be very very clear as to why you chose dentistry,why USA,why that particular program in that particular university,what your future goals are.ok?
We like to think there is ONE SOP for all schools but NOOO.Since each program is unique,customise your (basic) SOP to fit the program.

It may contain introduction-why dentistry as a career? Any influences that drove you to it.Or were you trying to be different (like me) from your family?

Body may eloborate on under grad experience.Post grad training if you have had any.Did anything thing in particular hit you real hard?
What are your unique talents and qualities?
Do go on to say why the US,the program and what you want to do in the future.Are they all connected?By talking to my friends I see that they generally are inter related.
And a conclusion.
This is a suggestion to get you started.There are tons of sample SOPs on the net.A simple google search should do the trick
Does it help? :luck:
I deal with my writers block (I get a LOT of it) just by typing something,anything ..it need not be Shakespear.Once the sentences start to flow....

Members don't see this ad :)
try to put the sop in ur own words.let it be simple .use simple vocabulary.try to be realistic donot try to put which ur not familiar .

Dr Phil Inn said:
Hi all,

Thanks

Hi Phil Inn

I received your PM. I think you got a wealth of information in this thread. Wish I knew all these when I wrote my SOP!! As you were advised here, make a draft and keep working on it. It will take you a month or more (took me longer) to polish it. Whatever you do personlize it and as adviced customize it for each school.

Good luck,
rahmed

HEY PHIL,
I RECEIVED YOUR PM!PLEASE CHECK YOUR INBOX!
Dr Phil Inn said:
Hi all,

Thanks

Got this from a friend
It helped me hope it helps u'll

Hi Friends,
Excellent Tips For Writing A Winning Resume Very Important don't Miss it
RESUME WRITING TIPS AND STRATEGIES

1. Keep It Focused and Businesslike
A resume should be specific and all business. Don't try to be too smart or too cute. After all, you are asking an employer to invest significant time and money by choosing you over many other similarly qualified people. Employers mainly want to know whether you are appropriately qualified and experienced, and if you have the ability to "deliver the goods."

2. More Than Two Pages Is Too Much
For students, recent graduates, or people with just a few years of experience, try to keep your resume to one page,two as an absolute maximum. Even a resume for someone with20 years or more of extensive working experience, should not exceed three pages. In some cases, one or two "optional"pages can be referred to as "available upon request." These would be such optional annexes as a list of references or an inventory of recent projects and/or publications.

3. Get The Words and Punctuation Right
Make sure the grammar, spelling, and punctuation in your resume are perfect. Any obvious mistakes will hurt your credibility. Also, be sure to keep the language clear and simple. If you draft it yourself, have someone with excellent writing skills do an editorial review and a careful proofread of it. If a professional prepares it for you, such reviews are the responsibility of the resume preparation firm. Use an accepted English language "style guide" if you want to be sure of the finer points of word usage, punctuation, capitalization, abbreviations, etc.

4. Read Between The Lines
Customize the resume to match the stated requirements of the job that you are applying for, without being misleading.Review and analyze the job advertisement carefully. Look for and itemize the key qualifications, skills, and abilities the employer is seeking. Then identify certain key words that are usually repeated in such ads. Make sure that the wording and sequence of points in your resume reflect and address these "corporate terminologies" and"code words" as much as possible. When possible, study the company's annual report and Web site, and weave the themes and terms found there into your resume and cover letter.

5. Make Sure It Looks Good
Use a crisp, clean, simple presentation format for a professional looking resume. Just a bit of simple line work and/or shading, done with standard word processing software will do the trick. If you don't have the aptitude for this,there is most likely someone among your friends or in your office who can help you achieve a professional presentation.If not, seek professional advice. It won't cost much for a good simple layout, but it will make a world of difference to the product.

6. Show What You Can Do Today
Focus, first and foremost, on your recent experience that is most relevant to the position at hand. Less relevant and/or dated experience should be either eliminated or summarized in brief point form near the end of your resume.When reviewing your resume information, a prospective employer wants to know what you are doing now, what you have done recently, and how that relates to the job requirements of the post they are trying to fill.

7. Be A Straight-Shooter
Be completely honest. When people lie or "creatively exaggerate" on their resume, they are almost invariably exposed, sooner or later. Think about it - who really wants to get a job based on a lie(s) and then have to live in fear of eventually being found out? We often read in the newspaper about high-profile folks who get caught in are sume falsehood or exaggeration, and it isn't very pretty.

8. Follow The Instructions
Submit your resume in exactly the form that the prospective employer requests. If they say e-mail or fax is okay, do it that way. However, if they ask for it by regular mail, send it the way they ask. They must have reasons for requesting it in such a form and they are geared up to process it that way. If your resume is to be sent by snail mail, use the complete address that they specify, or it could go to the wrong office, especially in a large organization.

9. Don't Get Lost In The Mail
Be careful to respect certain conventions that the potential employer may require in your resume. For example, make sure that the cover letter mentions the exact name of the specific position you are applying for, and the competition number, if applicable. Sometimes an employer will request that the job title and/or number be printed on the outside of the envelope. You would not want to miss out on a job because you didn't follow minor administrative requirements.

10. Keep The Cover Short and Focused
In the cover letter, don't repeat what is already detailed in the body of the attached resume. It is a "cover" letter.It should be short and to the point. Introduce yourself first, and then briefly summarize why you believe that you have the qualifications and experience to fulfill the duties of the position better than anyone else. Express enthusiasm about the job and the company. Close by stating how you are looking forward to hearing more from them soon,and that you will follow-up if necessary.

Dr Phil Inn said:
Hi all,

Thanks

great advise...keep it up. am having probs with writing statement of purpose as well!!! :(

thanks all for this thread and tips....i am feeling a bit confident about writing the sop....
anjoliey