This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littleraindrops.j

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for MD/PhD last cycle and did not get any interviews or acceptances.
I think I know where my weaknesses are - MCAT and GPA.
My undergrad GPA was poor as I was ill most of the time, but postbac work proved I could do better (3.9 for three years).

I'm in process of applying for master's programs in various disciplines so I can further prove that I can do better GPA-wise.
So my main concern is the MCAT.
I took the old one- did horribly. Prepped for the new one and received 499.
I am trying to improve the MCAT score, but I've never been good at taking standardized test (although I don't have anxiety.. in fact I am more anxious when I take class exams for school).
I have been enrolled to two different MCAT prep courses, but neither improved my score as I had hoped.
I do problems. I review them. I understand them at the time of reviewing them.
I have had trouble with application of the concepts even in classes in school, but with so much repetition and practice, I was able to get to a point where I felt comfortable.
With MCAT, it's a different story because the range of materials covered is so broad, so mastering in certain concepts may not be useful on some of the topics.
So I feel lost.

Currently I am watching Khan Academy videos, reading EK books, doing TPR problems, taking practice tests... etc. What else can I do to improve? Or how can I change the strategy at all to approach MCAT completely differently?

I need your wisdom. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

You are correct in assuming that you cannot master all of the material. AAMC did this to ensure that critical thinking skills were being tested and not fact recalling. Something that really helped my critical thinking skills was reading research papers. I read research papers on subjects from biological application of using a photoelectric cell to destroy a tumor to papers over cardiovascular mechanics. The important facet about these papers is that I read them for COMPLETE understanding. I would analyze the graphs, ask myself what would happen if I changed certain variables, understand the theory behind why a system behaved in the way it did. Don't let any questions go unanswered when you are reading those research papers. This also helps you prepare beyond the scope of the exam and it makes critical thinking easier. I scored 130 on Bio/Biochem and reading many research papers helped me do very well.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you checked out the MCAT forum for tips on prepping for the new MCAT? Sounds like you do need an entirely new plan since obviously the test prep courses aren't doing the trick for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for MD/PhD last cycle and did not get any interviews or acceptances.
I think I know where my weaknesses are - MCAT and GPA.
My undergrad GPA was poor as I was ill most of the time, but postbac work proved I could do better (3.9 for three years).

I'm in process of applying for master's programs in various disciplines so I can further prove that I can do better GPA-wise.
So my main concern is the MCAT.
I took the old one- did horribly. Prepped for the new one and received 499.
I am trying to improve the MCAT score, but I've never been good at taking standardized test (although I don't have anxiety.. in fact I am more anxious when I take class exams for school).
I have been enrolled to two different MCAT prep courses, but neither improved my score as I had hoped.
I do problems. I review them. I understand them at the time of reviewing them.
I have had trouble with application of the concepts even in classes in school, but with so much repetition and practice, I was able to get to a point where I felt comfortable.
With MCAT, it's a different story because the range of materials covered is so broad, so mastering in certain concepts may not be useful on some of the topics.
So I feel lost.

Currently I am watching Khan Academy videos, reading EK books, doing TPR problems, taking practice tests... etc. What else can I do to improve? Or how can I change the strategy at all to approach MCAT completely differently?

I need your wisdom. Please help.

Based on your post, a master's program is not likely to be as high yield for you compared to significantly improving your MCAT. That's what I would devote my time to doing.

Reactions: 1 user