Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephannie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm trying to see if I can get some feedback. Before I start I would really appreciate it if no one told me to rethink my options to go to medical school or anything negative. I know I'm not in great shape but I have no intention of changing my decision of medical school so please don't say it.

I'm a Senior now, I currently have a 2.8 GPA (I know...) I'm taking four classes and have As in all of them so far so my GPA should increase a little by the end of this spring semester. I plan to do a fifth year because I changed my major a while ago and i'm still not done with my requirements. I'm a Psychology major right now. I'm currently taking Orgo 1 and plan on taking organic lab during summer. I should be graduating next year in spring.

Now this is my plan and I don't know if its a good one or not
This summer I plan to apply to a Biomedical Masters program. So I would be applying through out my fifth year and then start the masters after I graduate. I want to apply to Medical school during the year I am doing my masters. I think I should take my MCATS next spring that way I can start applying to Med schools that summer. I'm trying to get As in all my classes but I don't know how high my GPA will be by the time I graduate undergrad, I calculated ~ 3.1 but who knows.

I guess my questions would be whether this is an ok plan? I know the GPA would be low but maybe if they see Im doing well in my master classes it would maybe make up for it. I want to do great in my MCATs. What classes in undergrad help you with your MCAT other than Biology, Physics and Chem/Organic Chem?

I have ~300 hours of ER volunteering and ~60 in shadowing. What else can I do to make my application stronger?

Also, I'm aiming for MD. I respect DO and have learned a lot about it lately but MD is my goal.
I really want this and I'm willing to do anything. I suffered from a lot of anxiety until last semester, it started once I started collage and it lead me to do really bad in classes since I would feel sick during exams. I was a 4.0 student in high school. Last semester I had surgery and my anxiety increased, two months later it started decreasing and now it has disappeared from the most part, can't really explain it. I was absent a lot last semester due to my medical situation and pulled a poor 3.0 gpa for the semester, definitely aiming for a 3.8/4 this semester.

One more question,
I am Chilean, would I be considered URM or not? would being a US citizen affect it if so?

So sorry this is so long, I hope someone reads it :)

Thank you in advance!
Please try to keep it positive:thumbup: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't want to give advice on something I really do not know much about...but I think you are on the right path! Keep your head up and keep working hard. You seem very proactive and aware of the road you need to take. Good luck with everything!!

Classes that helped me with the mcat: genetics, micro, and some upper level bios helped me a lot.

As for ECs try doing mentoring, tutoring, or something long term to show your commitment. Volunteer with the underserved or in a free medical clinic.

Chileans are not generally considered under-represented in medicine. Speaking Spanish is, however, an important clinical skill. Permanent resident status is extremely important, it's as good a citizenship for almost all programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello

I'm trying to see if I can get some feedback. Before I start I would really appreciate it if no one told me to rethink my options to go to medical school or anything negative. I know I'm not in great shape but I have no intention of changing my decision of medical school so please don't say it.

I'm a Senior now, I currently have a 2.8 GPA (I know...) I'm taking four classes and have As in all of them so far so my GPA should increase a little by the end of this spring semester. I plan to do a fifth year because I changed my major a while ago and i'm still not done with my requirements. I'm a Psychology major right now. I'm currently taking Orgo 1 and plan on taking organic lab during summer. I should be graduating next year in spring.

This summer I plan to apply to a Biomedical Masters program. So I would be applying through out my fifth year and then start the masters after I graduate. I want to apply to Medical school during the year I am doing my masters. I think I should take my MCATS next spring that way I can start applying to Med schools that summer. I'm trying to get As in all my classes but I don't know how high my GPA will be by the time I graduate undergrad, I calculated ~ 3.1 but who knows.

I guess my questions would be whether this is an ok plan? I know the GPA would be low but maybe if they see Im doing well in my master classes it would maybe make up for it. I want to do great in my MCATs. What classes in undergrad help you with your MCAT other than Biology, Physics and Chem/Organic Chem?

I have ~300 hours of ER volunteering and ~60 in shadowing. What else can I do to make my application stronger?

Also, I'm aiming for MD. I respect DO and have learned a lot about it lately but MD is my goal.
I really want this and I'm willing to do anything. I suffered from a lot of anxiety until last semester, it started once I started collage and it lead me to do really bad in classes since I would feel sick during exams. I was a 4.0 student in high school. Last semester I had surgery and my anxiety increased, two months later it started decreasing and now it has disappeared from the most part, can't really explain it. I was absent a lot last semester due to my medical situation and pulled a poor 3.0 gpa for the semester, definitely aiming for a 3.8/4 this semester.

One more question,
I am Chilean, would I be considered URM or not? would being a US citizen affect it if so?

Thank you in advance!
MD is not going to happen with that GPA, and even with a 3.1 by graduation, I don't believe it'll help. Is your sGPA above a 3.0? You'll definitely need to score >30 and complete an SMP program with a 3.7+ if you want a shot at an MD school. Being Chilean does make you a URM, but it is up to the program on how they evaluate you. Some programs will put very low priority on someone from South America compared to a Mexican-American and may not reflect any advantage over caucasian applicants. Being a US Citizen makes no difference (assuming you're a green card alien).

On the EC, these are weak as well. The hospital time is good depending over what amount of time it was done. 300 hours over a month is worthless compared to having 150 hours over a year (they look for commitment rather than time). 60 hours of shadowing is acceptable if you have covered at least one primary care physician. There are many things you can do to improve your EC and are entirely up to you. Schools look for leadership, non-medical volunteering and research, so you may want to look into those.

Best of luck.

I'm not the type of person to sugar coat something in order to appease someone, being told what you want to hear doesn't get you anywhere in life. Instead, i'll tell you the truth. You have a rough road ahead of you if you are determined to become an MD. I'm not saying it is impossible, but it will be extremely difficult. You need to get your gpa above 3.1 and you need to find a better reason to explain your undergrad gpa other than "anxiety". I guarantee you that an interviewer will ask you "If you struggled with your undergrad coursework due to anxiety, how do you expect to survive a full medical school course load?".

You're going to need a gpa of 3.3+ and thats assuming you hold URM status. You will also need an mcat of 33+. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I'm just telling you how it is. The path to medical school is long and narrow, stay determined and keep racking up A's.

I think it would be in your best interest to look deeper into Osteopathic medicine. I wish you the best of luck and I'll leave you with a statement I have told many people in your situation: Be less concerned about the 2 letters behind your name than the "Dr" in front of it. Best of luck!

Doing well in an SMP and scoring high on the MCAT will make you a competitive candidate. Currently, you're not, nor will you be by the time you finish your undegrad.

Concur with my colleague gyngyn that you're not a URM (there's Hispanic and then there's Hispanic.)

Being that English is your second language, strongly suggest that you focus on your verbal skills. Any decent pre-medical curriculum will prepare you for the PS and Bio portions of MCAT

Best to contact individual schools to see if your non-citizen status can be an issue. Federal loans and all that.

Try some other volunteer work that shows off your altruism, and you may want to consider trying some lab research as well.

Hello

One more question,

Thank you in advance!

Thank you all for your responses!

I am a US citizen, that's why I was wondering if that would make me a non URM, But I understand that depends on the program.
I know I have quite some work ahead of me, which I'm willing to do.

When you say SMP, does it mean a Biomedical Masters program? that is what I'm planning on applying to. Is that the program I need?

My 300 hours of ER volunteering were done in a year. My shadowing was done with a pediatrician, should I do more with a different specialty?

lets say I graduate with a 3.1, get 3.7+ in my Masters program and score 30+ in the MCAT. With my South American URM status, do I stand a chance at MD?

Thanks

I just spent the last hour looking at people's posts and looking at their applications discouraged me :cry:

Thank you all for your responses!

I am a US citizen, that's why I was wondering if that would make me a non URM, But I understand that depends on the program.
I know I have quite some work ahead of me, which I'm willing to do.

When you say SMP, does it mean a Biomedical Masters program? that is what I'm planning on applying to. Is that the program I need?

My 300 hours of ER volunteering were done in a year. My shadowing was done with a pediatrician, should I do more with a different specialty?

lets say I graduate with a 3.1, get 3.7+ in my Masters program and score 30+ in the MCAT. With my South American URM status, do I stand a chance at MD?

Thanks

An SMP is a special program offered by medical schools which typically require a high MCAT performance and where you are taking medical school level courses. If you get less than 3.7 in it, forget med school. I wouldn't bank on being considered a URM.

I know you said you wanted to go MD, but to be real, it's going to be very, very difficult. Nothing's impossible, but it simply isn't a realistic option for you; even an SMP with excellent grades will only make you a barely decent applicant to MD schools.

DO, on the other hand, is doable. Still a tough road, but possible if you get your gpa up to a 3.1 and rock the MCAT. There's really no reason not to consider DO. You have access to the same residencies and you'll still become a doctor and be able to practice medicine, which you are passionate about. If you choose to stick your fingers in your ears and keep pushing for MD, though, I fear that it will take many, many years to get to where you want to go, if at all.

I think you should quantify exactly why you aren't considering DO schools, and ask yourself if it's really worth years of work and thousands of dollars to get even a shot at it.

I know you said you wanted to go MD, but to be real, it's going to be very, very difficult. Nothing's impossible, but it simply isn't a realistic option for you; even an SMP with excellent grades will only make you a barely decent applicant to MD schools.

DO, on the other hand, is doable. Still a tough road, but possible if you get your gpa up to a 3.1 and rock the MCAT. There's really no reason not to consider DO. You have access to the same residencies and you'll still become a doctor and be able to practice medicine, which you are passionate about. If you choose to stick your fingers in your ears and keep pushing for MD, though, I fear that it will take many, many years to get to where you want to go, if at all.

I think you should quantify exactly why you aren't considering DO schools, and ask yourself if it's really worth years of work and thousands of dollars to get even a shot at it.
I disagree. With an SMP, you wipe off your entire undergrad GPA in the eyes of ADCOM. It'll just be to have on-par EC and MD won't be a problem. I do agree, however, that looking into the DO option is the best choice, but to each their own.

I disagree. With an SMP, you wipe off your entire undergrad GPA in the eyes of ADCOM. It'll just be to have on-par EC and MD won't be a problem. I do agree, however, that looking into the DO option is the best choice, but to each their own.

I've heard differently. Although an SMP will improve your standing as far as gpa is concerned, from what I gather it doesn't "wipe out" your undergrad, it's simply viewed in conjunction with undergrad gpa.

So a Biomedical Masters program is not the right thing to apply to?

SMPs require an MCAT score and I'm not ready for it yet.

So a Biomedical Masters program is not the right thing to apply to?

SMPs require an MCAT score and I'm not ready for it yet.
Maybe. Some SMPs call themselves Biomedical Masters program, but there are also non-SMP programs calling themselves Biomedical Masters. A rule of thumb is that if the MCAT is not required, it's likely not an SMP. Call the school you're interested in.

I think I should take the MCAT and apply to a SMP then. If I want to start a SMP in the summer of 2014, maybe I can take the MCAT in November or so of 2013? i don't want to apply to the program too late.

Your SMP gpa does not wipe out your undergrad gpa.

I am sure it doesn't wipe it (too good to be true) but it does help your chances right?
It may help if it is a linked program. It is one of the few ways a "late bloomer" can show that they have made a clean break with the past. It often comes with a dandy letter from the program if one has done well. If you have anything less than a stellar performance, your chances are "chopped." They are pretty pricey.

Your SMP gpa does not wipe out your undergrad gpa.
Doesn't literally, but for purposes of admissions, they look at your SMP grades. That's the entire purpose of an SMP vs a traditional masters.

Doesn't literally, but for purposes of admissions, they look at your SMP grades. That's the entire purpose of an SMP vs a traditional masters.
Recipient schools (other than those with an affiliation) do not universally interpret them in the way the program would hope.