Helpful conference for re-applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrumpsMom

MS III
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're like I was and it is taking you more than one try to get into medical school, there is a conference coming up from June 8-11 in the Washington, DC area (actually in Arlington, VA at the Sheraton Crystal City), that you just shouldn't miss.

It is the 6th Annual Conference of the National Society of Nontraditional Premedical and Medical students, Inc. This year will be the biggest conference ever and will have representatives from several medical schools, as well as Kaplan and Princeton Review.

The information offered at this conference really applies to anyone attempting to enter medical school. Good information on making your application competitive, what to expect during interviews, what schools are looking for, etc., is applicable to anyone wishing to enter medical school regardless of age.

Anyway, there will be a great meet 'n greet Thursday evening, as well as a head-to-head discussion with Kaplan and The Princeton Review. Then there are lots of speaker presentations on Friday and Saturday. If you live in the DC area, or are within easy access to the metroline or within driving distance, why not take advantage of this year's conference, with great speakers like Dr. Kenneth Iserson, Dr. Robert Bowman, and Dr. Stan Grogg, as well as a plethora of others. . . and a discussion of what osteopathy is complete with a demonstration of osteopathic manipulative techniques.

Many conferences with the type of speakers and material available at the OPM conference would cost you a great deal to attend. Yet this conference is being held to a $75 registration fee, of which $5 will be donated to the American Cancer Society. You can register for this convention by visiting the OPM website at www.oldpremeds.org ; click on the Read More Here link from the blue page and follow the directions to register.

OPM has been an sister site to SDN for years. While non-traditional students have been enjoying the benefits of being able to attend this convention for the past four years, we are extending an invitation to traditional pre-medical and medical students to attend. You can come for one, two or three days as your time permits but do not miss Iserson and his valuable information.

And the doors of OPM have always been open to traditional students, and every year we seem to have more. Possibly because we are very goal-oriented, there is an appeal to all, regardless of age. Think about it!

Hope to see a lot of you there!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad to see people are at least reading this thread, but I am surprised that no one has responded with questions or interest.

Let me tell you a little more about me, and then why I think OPM's conference is such a great opportunity.

Since this is the reapplication thread, I must admit, I applied twice. As a VERY nontraditional student (50 years old when I first applied, started med school at 52), I knew it would be an uphill battle. BUT I was determined to give it my best shot.

Again, my stats weren't the best. GPA 3.43, MCAT 25. But I had a lot of medical background as I had worked as a medical technologist for years and then gone on into veterinary technology.

First time around, I applied to about 8 schools, most of which were within driving distance of where I lived. I had several interviews, was waitlisted at 2 schools, and that was the end of it.

During the year in between that rejection and the next application cycle, I had reworked my personal statement and worked in a research lab doing research on systemic lupus erythematosus and scleroderma, as well as other rheumatological issues. And, of course, I attended the OPM conference that year.

Second time, and at the advice of the doctor I was doing research with, I threw a wide net. . . 24 schools, MD and DO. This time I had a great number of interviews, was accepted after my first interview and decided to accept the offer. However, I went ahead and completed several other interviews and had a couple of other acceptances along with several waitlists. But I knew that the first school I interviewed at was the right one for me. So that's where I am now.

But, through it all, I have attended every OPM conference I could, and I still am attending them, gathering information now for residency programs. At each of the conferences I gathered information on writing my essays, improving my application, and how to follow-up on applications, etc. And I was able to do a lot of networking. One of the most important things I learned was to believe in myself, do lots of mock interviews, be prepared for whatever I might be asked, believe in myself, be aggressive and assertive without being arrogant, and, by the way, did I say believe in myself? If you can do those things during an interview, it helps you come across in a positive manner.

So, if you have the time from June 8-11, and can make it to DC, why not give the conference a try? You might really take away a lot of valuable information that will enable you to be a better candidate! I know I was!

So, go to the website: www.oldpremeds.org and even though the site is temporarily down (due to installation of new software after a hacker tried to mess up the site), you can click on the "Read more" link and find out about the conference. I know you would have a good time and learn a lot!