Helpful info regarding the USMLEs for IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowyevening

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading through First Aid and wanted to post a passage I found interesting along with my own thoughts.

“Most states require that applicants have completed one, two, or three years of postgraduate training (residency) before they apply for Step 3 and permanent state licensure. The exceptions are the 13 state mentioned below, which allow IMGs to take Step 3 at the beginning of or even before residency. So if you don’t fulfill the prerequisites to taking Step 3 in your state of choice, simply use the name of one of the 13 states in your Step 3 application. You can take the exam in any state you choose regardless of the state that you mentioned on your application. Once you pass Step 3, it will be recognized by all states.”

The following states do not have postgraduate training as an eligibility requirement to apply for Step 3:
• Arkansas
• California
• Connecticut
• Florida
• Louisiana
• Maryland
• Nebraska
• New York
• South Dakota
• Texas
• Utah
• Washington
• West Virginia

As an IMG, I think it is imperative to remember that there are always backdoors and different ways of doing things. One of the first “different ways” I learned about is that Step 2 CK can be taken before Step 1 if your clinical experience is recent and you feel it would be advantageous to have your clinical knowledge fresh in your mind. First Aid then brought to my attention this newfound knowledge about Step 3. Hope it helps some of you! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. So I can mention one of these 13 states in my step 3 application to meet the eligibility requirements to take the step 3. However, once I pass the step 3, it will be recognized by all states even the ones that are not one of those 13? Kind of makes no sense. If I didn't take my step 3 based on the other states' rules, then why is it still accepted?

If you register through one of those 13 state medical boards, does that mean we have to take Step 3 in that state?

For example if I register through the Connecticut, do I have to take the exam in Connecticut? or can I take it anywhere in the US?

I think this list is either outdated or incorrect. I live in Washington state and they require enrolment or completion of some post-grad training.

http://www.fsmb.org/step3/048_er.html

Yes, I believe you have to take the exam in that state (if registered for Step 3 in that state). I may be incorrect on this - if I am, please let me know so I don't have to travel down to California to sit the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this list is either outdated or incorrect. I live in Washington state and they require enrolment or completion of some post-grad training.

http://www.fsmb.org/step3/048_er.html

Yes, I believe you have to take the exam in that state (if registered for Step 3 in that state). I may be incorrect on this - if I am, please let me know so I don't have to travel down to California to sit the exam.
Once you register for your permit, you can sign up to take the test at any prometric center in the world. I had a number of friends in WI who registered to take it through CT, took the test in WI, and then got licensed in WI. They never stepped foot in WI and never planned to.

Once you register for your permit, you can sign up to take the test at any prometric center in the world. I had a number of friends in WI who registered to take it through CT, took the test in WI, and then got licensed in WI. They never stepped foot in WI and never planned to.

If indeed this is true, that is fantastic news. I'll check with the FSMB on Thursday, but thank you for the post!

If indeed this is true, that is fantastic news. I'll check with the FSMB on Thursday, but thank you for the post!
I'm 100% positive. If you signed up for your test through CA (or any other state you want), they will send you a scheduling permit. That scheduling permit can be used with ANY prometric center.

Yes, you can sign up for the test through Connecticut (for example) and take the test at any prometric center anywhere. People use states like CT and TX a lot because they have barely any restrictions. This comes in very handy for those going into non-primary care fields who just want to get the test out of the way before they forget what they learned in medical school.

Does having passed Step 3 help people (FMGs) rank higher and improve their chances of matching?

You can pretty much consider it compulsory for true FMGs (non-US citizens). Many FMGs aren't even considered if they haven't passed all 4 Step exams.

For Caribbean grads, it's usually difficult to take Step 3 before you apply for Match unless you've graduated, received your ECFMG certificate, applied for Step 3 through FSMB with a state board not requiring any postgraduate training (I did CT state board and sat for the exam in an NY Prometric), scheduled the exam and then gotten the results in time (preferably by September 15th) to make a difference in your ERAS application. That would likely mean that there is either a gap in your medical school education or you took some time off after medical school and you need to have a story regarding either of those scenarios come interview time.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

I'm American but will graduate after September 15th. Taking the exam in enough time to strengthen my application isn't doable.