Helpful things for pt students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarah14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting pt school this fall and was wondering if any current pt students could give any advice on what type of things have been most helpful for them throughout pt school? Things like books that weren't your actual required textbooks or technology like having an ipad...basically anything that wasn't required by your program that you've bought and found has really been helpful. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

On my blog I compiled a wishlist for future DPT students

Members don't see this ad :)
Tablet with notability or one note or whichever of the many various note taking apps you like

Last edited:
A skeleton
Netter Anatomy flashcards or Greys Anatomy Flashcards
Clipboard
Massage table
Netters Anatomy Coloring Book
Thieme Atlas of Anatomy (this and Netters seem to go head to head)
Large dry erase board
Dry Erase markers of different /thicknesses and colors
Gait belt
Goniometer
Blood Pressure Cuff
Stethoscope
Reflex Hammer
Pen light
Anatomy Apps for your phone (I will look in to these and write about it at a later date when I have time to test them during school)
Highlighters
Ipad/Tablet -I have the Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Note they recommended it for students at Best Buy because you can screen shot things then draw/write all over it which I thought was neat. You can also hand write notes with the pen too! Although I hear really awesome things about the Ipad!
Recorder to record lectures!
Laptop

What items I posted on my blog :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A skeleton
Netter Anatomy flashcards or Greys Anatomy Flashcards
Clipboard
Massage table
Netters Anatomy Coloring Book
Thieme Atlas of Anatomy (this and Netters seem to go head to head)
Large dry erase board
Dry Erase markers of different /thicknesses and colors
Gait belt
Goniometer
Blood Pressure Cuff
Stethoscope
Reflex Hammer
Pen light
Anatomy Apps for your phone (I will look in to these and write about it at a later date when I have time to test them during school)
Highlighters
Ipad/Tablet -I have the Samsung 10.1 Galaxy Note they recommended it for students at Best Buy because you can screen shot things then draw/write all over it which I thought was neat. You can also hand write notes with the pen too! Although I hear really awesome things about the Ipad!
Recorder to record lectures!
Laptop

What items I posted on my blog :)

awesome! thanks! I'll def check out it out!

I'm finishing up my second year, and I agree about the skeleton, clipboard, massage table, Thieme atlas, dry erase board, and highlighters. I would also add lots of colored pencils for anatomy and neuroscience. My school lets us check out things like reflex hammers, gonis, & blood pressure cuffs, so we don't really need our own to practice at home. Things like tablets & laptops are really more about personal preference.

Oh, and binders. Lots and lots of binders.

I heard BRS books for anatomy were good planning to pick those up...as for massage tables, do you current students recommend a particular one? lol

I'm finishing up my second year, and I agree about the skeleton, clipboard, massage table, Thieme atlas, dry erase board, and highlighters. I would also add lots of colored pencils for anatomy and neuroscience. My school lets us check out things like reflex hammers, gonis, & blood pressure cuffs, so we don't really need our own to practice at home. Things like tablets & laptops are really more about personal preference.

Oh, and binders. Lots and lots of binders.
We had to by the "kit" with the stethoscope, blood pressure cuff and yada yada yada. It was around $330 which wasn't as bad as I thought.

I heard BRS books for anatomy were good planning to pick those up...as for massage tables, do you current students recommend a particular one? lol
I have the BRS Gross Anatomy book and used it a lot when I took anatomy in PT school. It outlines pretty much everything we had to know in a user-friendly way, gave really good clinical correlations that always seemed to show up on our exams, and had really helpful practice exam questions that I always did when studying for exams.

As for a massage table, you really don't need to get one before starting school. I already happened to have one, and it came in really handy when we started learning ortho/manual therapy, because it made practicing at home a lot easier. A few of my classmates bought cheap ones on craigslist (around $50 or so). Once you start taking those courses, you'll get more of an idea of whether or not it's worth it to you to buy one.

Reactions: 1 users
What's the latest edition for the BRS Gross Anatomy book? And does it even matter what edition you get, if you want to save any money?

I used the 7th edition, but I think there's a newer one now. I don't know anything about older editions. This is the one I have:
Amazon product

Reactions: 2 users
If you have an i-phone or i-pad, essential anatomy 5 is only 0.99 cents! It's a special 96% off right now...usually costs $35. Unfortunately, the ones for android devices are still $25

Where would you guys recommend buying a skeleton from?

If you have an i-phone or i-pad, essential anatomy 5 is only 0.99 cents! It's a special 96% off right now...usually costs $35. Unfortunately, the ones for android devices are still $25

I just got it for $0.99. Thanks for posting this.