Helpp.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cooolguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just took my kaplan diagnostic and received a 5 on the verbal section of the test. Yes, a 5!! Is there any way I can boost this score up within 5 months? Has anyone had any miracle "jumps" in verbal? Please let me know what I can do.

Members don't see this ad.

Cooolguy said:
Hey guys, I just took my kaplan diagnostic and received a 5 on the verbal section of the test. Yes, a 5!! Is there any way I can boost this score up within 5 months? Has anyone had any miracle "jumps" in verbal? Please let me know what I can do.
Exam Krackers 101 verbal passages and their verbal book. I took the kaplan course and first time took the MCAT and got an 8. Mind you I applied all of their strategies and practiced with 80% of their material. So this time I studied using EK strategies and did their whole 101 verbal book and got an 11. The most sincere advice I can give you is to use EK.

Use EK. I used it. My first diagnostic I got a 7. In 2 months I got a 10 on the real thing.

you should expect a bad score on your diagnostic. you're completely unfamiliar with MCAT verbal. No one is. It's nothing like sat verbal or whatever. After a few more practice exams, you'll pick up the feel.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 5 in any section on the Diagnostic is perfectly normal. Don't get discouraged. They purposely make Diagnostics harder than normal anyway. Just keep practicing and reading, you've got time.

Hey thanks a lot for the response, i really appreciate the encouragement.

myfavred said:
Exam Krackers 101 verbal passages and their verbal book. I took the kaplan course and first time took the MCAT and got an 8. Mind you I applied all of their strategies and practiced with 80% of their material. So this time I studied using EK strategies and did their whole 101 verbal book and got an 11. The most sincere advice I can give you is to use EK.

Cooolguy said:

I had the same problem...I took tpr last summer and I could not score higher than a 6 on any of the diagnostics. I freaked out and bought EK 2 weeks before the exam. I practiced using the EK strategy and I did passages for hours and hours and managed to get an 8 in aug (yea still not great but considering my trend of 5s and 6s, I was pleased). I am confident that with EK and more than 2 weeks to learn their strategy we can both get 10s!! Good Luck!!

Thanks a lot man, Im trying to read some books and stuff, i dunno maybe that will help. I am looking into some book by kurt vonnegut, it is supposed to be good for verbal reasoning on the MCAT. Look into it. I plan on spending a lot more time once this semester is over so I can study over christmas and hopefully kick some butt. Good Luck dude.

Darch said:
I had the same problem...I took tpr last summer and I could not score higher than a 6 on any of the diagnostics. I freaked out and bought EK 2 weeks before the exam. I practiced using the EK strategy and I did passages for hours and hours and managed to get an 8 in aug (yea still not great but considering my trend of 5s and 6s, I was pleased). I am confident that with EK and more than 2 weeks to learn their strategy we can both get 10s!! Good Luck!!

I don't understand the recent comments about K. Vonnegut. I sincerely doubt that reading any of his books will help (and yes I have read him). Best of luck though.

7 on my first AAMC diagnostic, I freaked out. 14 on the real thing. YES, you can boost it. The key is strict timing (you must have a sheet where you can bubble in, as well, because bubbling takes up a good 2 mins or so), reading very critically (but never re-reading a sentence), reading the question stems and answer stems. Follow EK's doctrine and do LOTS of verbal practice. You can do it!!

I got a 4 in my verbal diagnostic for Kaplan, but ended up with a 10 on the real thing. Remember topic, scope, and purpose. Read for structure, not detail. use those Kaplan tactics they tell you, they work

someone recommended it on student doctor, i figured ill try something. btw i hear his books are good also so i dunno....