Hem/Onc fellowship application thread 2010-2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello All!!

Hope the interview season has been going well for all.

Everyone seems to be posting creds, so...

Residency: Univ affil - community program
Fellowship: in Palliative Med
USMLE: all 80-85
Research: 2 articles published, one this year (so not applicable for this interview season) and one is non-heme onc; do have poster and case presentations in national meetings

@three coins: I also had a similar issue, when I forgot to check "will participate in NRMP match". Stupid mistake right? I think this will delay stuff, but shouldn't be a big negative.

In my case, I have not received any IV, but no rejections either......yet!!

I do have a question....any one have programs that they applied to that have not downloaded the application material?? I have a few. Is this to be expected??

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I do have a question....any one have programs that they applied to that have not downloaded the application material?? I have a few. Is this to be expected??

I do as well. A straight Onc program, Toledo, has downloaded nothing of mine. Then there are 2-3 programs that have not completed my file. The programs I applied to are quite homogenous however. so if you applied to more academic programs like MD anderson/Duke/John's Hopkins then you might have a much different group of programs compared to me, which would likely change a lot in regards to your question.

Is this to be expected? From what I have read it seems that some programs don't start looking at app's until late in the season. Then there is the dreaded filter that programs can click attributes to narrow their search. Let's all hope it is the former for all of us.

Hi Guys,
I recieved an interview from Cornell. Any thoughts aboout the program.
My long term goals are evetually to be an physician-Scientist in stem cell /transitional.
regards Oncoguy

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone sounds pretty similar. Prob will come down to US vs foreign grad and research.

American from carib school 243/257, Uni program. I'm sure my LOrs are good, as are everyone else's - who would take the time to write a bad one unless you're really awful. 2 posters, med school research and ongoing project. pending 1st author publication. No worries - I'm sure we'll all be fine.

There seems to be one or two programs who have not downloaded applications yet. I have got no Inetrviews so far. Hopefully all will turn out well, remember this is a marathon not a sprint.

is there some one in the form applying on h1b other than myself?thx

Thanks all!

Toledo, Howard, SUNY Downstate, NY Methodist, St Luke-Roosevelt, Brookdale

IMG, requiring H1,
Step 1 and 2 scores 80,82,step3 89.
Basic research 2yrs with second author recent publication
ID fellowship from university program,completed
Strong LORs -4
Applied to 50 places.

Applied late, and none of the LORs have been uploaded yet.

Got my first rejection already- UCSD

Members don't see this ad :)
I discovered I did not assign the MSPE/ MSPE equivalent letter till today !! I had top re-assign it to all programs yesterday. Will this have a major impact on when my application gets reveiwed? stupid mistake!

No. Relax. As noted above, many programs are just now getting around to cracking open those apps (I talked to my PD yesterday and he hasn't so much as asked the PC to start DLing them yet).

1. Current Residency Program: Community
2. Board Scores: 86/85/94
3. Research & Publications: Case Reports - Multiple
4. Good LoRs x4
5. IMG / US Passport
6. Applied to 40 programs:

2 invitations - Washington Hospital Center - DC
ECU

2 rejections - UNC, UCSD

Another invite -- Advocate Luthern General - Illinois

Anyone with invites have a difficult time setting up interviews? (not getting responses on interview dates)

The Dana-Farber/Partners CancerCare Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Selection
Committee has recently met and has reviewed your application. *The number of
applicants has far exceeded our ability to interview all qualified candidates.
I therefore regret to inform you that we will be unable to offer an interview
to you.

We are grateful for your having considered our program and wish you success in
all of your future endeavors.

Acknowledgement Email from dartmouth . Waiting for 3 LORs, one uploaded.

The Dana-Farber/Partners CancerCare Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Selection
Committee has recently met and has reviewed your application. *The number of
applicants has far exceeded our ability to interview all qualified candidates.
I therefore regret to inform you that we will be unable to offer an interview
to you.

We are grateful for your having considered our program and wish you success in
all of your future endeavors.

I too got that lovely email, Cherry. Add me to their Rej list :). Also rej from UCSD.

Sorry to hear about the rejections you guys. I'm sure I would have been rejected too if I would have applied to those places. There is still a lot of time and a lot of programs to hear from.

I still haven't heard from any of my 30 programs but I am sure the rejection letters will start rollin' in any time now. :)

Interview from UF- Gainesville
Rejection from UCSD

Here comes another week of waiting. Will it be a lot of invites and rejections or will is stay quite, as it has been so far? Predictions?

I think it will stay quiet this week. I think the week after this is when it will pick up.

I am gonna have a nervous breakdown if I don't get any iv this week. Its not a good thing to have email on ur phone. I check it a million times everyday.

Another week of madness! I mean quiet madness..I agree having phone mail is such a distraction at this time of the year. I think it is still very early though , things will probably pick up by the end of Januray.Good luck everyone.

Another week of madness! I mean quiet madness..I agree having phone mail is such a distraction at this time of the year. I think it is still very early though , things will probably pick up by the end of Januray.Good luck everyone.

I unsubscribed from every email list (Best Buy, NCCN, etc) bc I had ectopic beats every time I heard a ding bc of a new email.

Some of these programs have not even DLed my application. I applied to them in December. Is it possible that they have DLed enough applications won't DL the rest?
That's like money down the drain.

Some of these programs have not even DLed my application. I applied to them in December. Is it possible that they have DLed enough applications won't DL the rest?
That's like money down the drain.

That's not how ERAS works. If programs haven't dl'd your app, it's because they haven't dl'd any apps put in since the day you applied. There are only two options in ERAS for dl'ing apps...do it, or not (and you can only not do it by not even logging in). They can't pick and choose which apps to dl. Relax...it's still very early. Our PC was going to log in for the first time this week.

I have looked at past years threads. Many people got invitations after Jan 15th, most around January 20th. I think it is still early. But I am worried as people in other specliaties like renal got millions of IVs, and a few Hemonc guys got called already.

I have looked at past years threads. Many people got invitations after Jan 15th, most around January 20th. I think it is still early. But I am worried as people in other specliaties like renal got millions of IVs, and a few Hemonc guys got called already.

1. It is still way early. Most of my interview invites came in late Jan and early Feb.

2. Who cares what the renal applications are doing? That's like saying, "well, the Peds guys are already getting interviews, why aren't I getting any for Neurosurgery yet." Apples and kumquats.

1. It is still way early. Most of my interview invites came in late Jan and early Feb.

2. Who cares what the renal applications are doing? That's like saying, "well, the Peds guys are already getting interviews, why aren't I getting any for Neurosurgery yet." Apples and kumquats.

Thank you so much gutonc, for maintaining sanity on this forum. Nevertheless, I must say that it's been slow so far compared to last year.

Now that invites are out, any thoughts about the UC davis program?

how many interviews do we need to be safe for match? realistically i meant. of course we will all go to as many as we could.