Heme/Onc application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I know, candidates have started receiving invitations/rejections for renal and PCCM last week. I am not sure if hem-onc has started?

Members don't see this ad.

I think starting tomorrow we will see some activities. Interestingly some programs haven't DLed application yet!

What kind of questions are asked during the heme-onc fellowship interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
other than "why do you want to do heme/onc" and "tell me about an interesting case"?

What kind of questions are asked during the heme-onc fellowship interviews?
Probably about your field of interest, academic vs private, research and so on.... and I think it's a fair question... for example if you are interested in solid tumors and the program has tons of resources on lymphoma, then probably both of you and the program won't be happy if you marry each other! .... especially university based programs look for people who can be an outstanding fellow and excellent colleague afterward. My 2 cents.

Probably about your field of interest, academic vs private, research and so on.... and I think it's a fair question... for example if you are interested in solid tumors and the program has tons of resources on lymphoma, then probably both of you and the program won't be happy if you marry each other! .... especially university based programs look for people who can be an outstanding fellow and excellent colleague afterward. My 2 cents.
is it okay to say that I am not much interested in basic research, I am much more inclined towards clinical research? What would be a nicer way to say that? Btw, can it be harmful to say that?

why not? It's going to be your life. Why hesitate to say what you like and what you are looking for? .... I think the best way of saying it is to say it in positive verb than negative verb. Instead of saying I don't like basic science research, say I like clinical research cause I'm this and that...most programs have both type of research - though they may be stronger in one over the other - and they want their program to be really fit to your interest, too. I think and I assume that the interview must be different from residency interview.

No calls yet!! Hasn't it started or are we not getting calls?:confused:

It's a killer! Rush and University of Chiacago haven't downloaded applications yet! It seems there was no need for applying Dec 1st!

Does Alabama, Arizona and TN program downloaded application?

Typically, interviews are not handed out until early Janaury (I got calls from Jan 5th on) but did hear from a very competitive colleague (who later matched at Hopkins) that she received one in late Decembers... still quite early in the game... good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
last year's thread had 1st interviews/rejection around Dec 12

Don't sweat it... Rejections are faster because some programs does not accept visas and thus people are rejected immediately... there are exceptions but be patient and bulk of the interviews are from early Jan-late Feb.. (first wave, but some programs does offer later in the game...)

last year's thread had 1st interviews/rejection around Dec 12

Is everybody's application downloaded by Uni of Arizona, because mine is not yet?

It can't be selective. The ERAS panel window from PD side is different from your window. "whenever" s(he) connects ERAS, files of applicants will be downloaded automatically. What it means is that neither PD of Arizona nor APD nor P-CO have logged in to ERAS.
ERAS window for PDs are killers! they have pre-defined filters as well as they can make their own filters. In a matter of seconds, they can filter those that are not US citizen or GC holder, or those with scores less than certain level or those from community hospitals.
This is the way many residency PDs deal with thousands of applications, probably it's the same for IVY league programs and will little bit different for lower tier programs.

It can't be selective. The ERAS panel window from PD side is different from your window. "whenever" s(he) connects ERAS, files of applicants will be downloaded automatically. What it means is that neither PD of Arizona nor APD nor P-CO have logged in to ERAS.
ERAS window for PDs are killers! they have pre-defined filters as well as they can make their own filters. In a matter of seconds, they can filter those that are not US citizen or GC holder, or those with scores less than certain level or those from community hospitals.
This is the way many residency PDs deal with thousands of applications, probably it's the same for IVY league programs and will little bit different for lower tier programs.

Hmm...how do you know all this :idea:!!impressive..Now I know, mine might be getting filtered.

Received my first IV from Columbia University today, very happy!

Received my first IV from Columbia University today, very happy!

Congratulations my friend!!! Please post back and tell us how your interview went... Good Luck. :D

Thank you guys! Does it matter when to go for interview, like applying for residency? It is going to be tough for me to go in Feb because of my rotation schedule. Will April be too late?

congraaats...
I don't think it makes a BIG dif! again as I said in a place like this, they look for BESTs and compare to residency they interview less applicant. I have heard they even keep emails sent by each applicant in his/her file in order to evaluate the applicant interest level. So plan it based on your plans.
Do you mind telling us if you get invitation by email, phone or regular mail?

yesss I have the honor of posting the 1st rejection in this thread
Farber,
but expected

I recently received an ineligibility letter from a program saying that my current H1B prevent them from inviting candidates although I applied for JI visa in the CAF . Was wondering if any one has better insight into this problem. Also received a rejection from DAN FARB

Thank you so much MDgoing4MPH! I got it by email. I was also rejected by DFI.

Rejections from Dana-Farber and Beth Israel Deaconess by email today

I've got an interview from BU.
No rejection yet. I was expecting rej email from DFI but my mailbox is empty!

I've got an interview from BU.
No rejection yet. I was expecting rej email from DFI but my mailbox is empty!

Congratulations MDgoin4MPH!!! Is that Brown university?
If so I applied too but no mail from them. No rejection from Beth Israel Deaconess either..dont know what to think of it?

hey guys....lurker here. Also applied to the above programs (DFI, BID). No rejections but no interviews either. Not making much of it. Good luck to all and all those with interviews already!

Personally, I placed my top choices in the middle of the season, and used the first few as practice in preparation. I think once you go to a few you will realize all the questions are similar, and you will be a pro at it... good luck at Columbia, last year the PD boasted 'we never go past our 9th rank candidate for the spot,' but it always catches up with people and they were left unfilled... a big name program nevertheless...

Thank you guys! Does it matter when to go for interview, like applying for residency? It is going to be tough for me to go in Feb because of my rotation schedule. Will April be too late?

Congratulations MDgoin4MPH!!! Is that Brown university?
If so I applied too but no mail from them. No rejection from Beth Israel Deaconess either..dont know what to think of it?

Sorry for confusion. It's Boston University.

i have been reading your posts, so i thought it was time i joined.. i also got an interview to columbia and a rejection to dana farber. i didnt realize columbia didnt fill last year, but i am still looking forward to visiting. has anyone heard from md anderson?

I got an interview form university of Vermont (who lost the designation of comprehensive cancer center last month :thumbdown:) and rejection from DFI.

what should make out of not getting rejection? I applied Dec 1st.

Hello,

For those of you getting accepts/rejections, did you all submit on Dec 1st?

jazz

hi all, new here!

Interview: Dana Farber by email, interviews every Mon and Fri in Feb, March, April. Let's post dates as invites come in so we can plan around our lovely q4 schedules. Submitted ~Dec 5th.

What does it mean if we get neither invitation nor rejection for programs that sends rejection letter? I applied for Deaconess and Boston University but no response.:scared:

No rejection and no interview yet,waiting for some program to download application!!!! :(

Invite via email from Columbia.

Status
Not open for further replies.