Heme/Onc application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my stats:
99 x 3 on the steps, good but not "top tier" academic residency program, no publications to date but decent amount of research experience and hopefully 1-2 publications at least submitted by the time of IV's, interested in academic oncology.

also, didn't see anyone else mention it:
IV offer from temple/Fox chase via email sent prior to the holidays.

Thank you , 99X3 is awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

UCCC IV by phone call. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
marrow, is that an IV from fox chase via snailmail?

Cogratulation on the Iv Carrigallen. Univ of Colorado Cancer Center (UCCC) is an awesome program. Is there anyone out there who has gotten an IV from UCCC?

Is it slow or is it just me?? I see more activity in the other specialties.

:)Well marrow sometimes no news is good news.
The anticipation is just gettin to me now. I am hoping some activity as far as the IVs are concerned in the coming week from monday.
Hopefully it all should be positive activity.

:)Well marrow sometimes no news is good news.
The anticipation is just gettin to me now. I am hoping some activity as far as the IVs are concerned in the coming week from monday.
Hopefully it all should be positive activity.

Thanks Taxotere..Hope all of us hear good news this week:)

:scared:Hey Does anyone have a list of programs that only take GC and Citizenship. I don't think I have time to dig into each program...Many thanks.

Does anybody knows, Advocate Lutheran and University of Chicago is downloading application because they have not downloaded my application yet.Or may be they are not participating in match?:idea:

Is anybody getting interviews??? Why this silence? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email invite from UNC today-
Mondays and Fridays in Feb/March. Hopefully things will get moving this week!

foreign grad with 85 percentile both steps and an attempt in step3 with green card and 3 months research experience which is ongoing with no publicationsl but currently a faculty position at a University hospital. What are the chances of getting interviews

Congratulations to you guys on IVs from UNC. I was just wondering if you would be willing to share your credentials with the rest of the grp. AMG vs IMG, board scores, univ vs community prog, research and pubs. Your input would be helpful to the rest of us waiting in anticipation. Good to the rest of us. Hopefully we should all here something soon. Lets keep the thread alive guys.

To help guide the competitiveness for this year's candidates, I'll mention a few of my colleagues over the past few years in onc and match result:

1. AMG, high 80s in USMLE, highly regarded Univ affiliated program, great letters (with huge name), 4 abstracts (2 posters) with two pending abstracts: Mount Sinai

2. IMG with MD/PhD, 90s in USMLE, highly regarded Univ Affiliated program, great letters, multiple first author papers with PhD from a top tier college: University of Wash/Fred Hutch

3. AMG, high 90s on 3 steps, highly regarded Univ affiliated program, pretty good letters, one abstract: UMDNJ

4. IMG with PhD, high 90s, higly regarded Univ affiliated program, strong letters from big names, multiple first author papers: Johns Hopkins

5. AMG, low 80s, highly regarded Univ program with very good letters, one full paper and two abstracts: Roswell Park

6. IMG with chief residency, high 90s on USMLE, higly regarded Univ affiliated program, one abstract, fabulous letters from huge names in the field: Univ of Pittsburgh

List goes on and on... but couple more with same profile matched at Hopkins, couple AMGs with 90s in boards with 1 abstract matched at own institution... good luck everyone!!

Last edited:
Thanks ghettomd!!! That was very helpful... :D

hmmm...since when do board scores matter? I was told for fellowships, that's not really considered... most important are letters and pubs

Not true, everything matters:

1. Place of training (I know Ivy league'rs with no publications match at top notch training programs)
2. Publications (especially ones with PhD background)
3. Letters of Recommendation (top names matter, in my experience some interviewers just skip those 'fantastic letters from no names' and goes to short letters from 'famous oncologist'
4. Overall Resume (Med School, Experience, Awards, etc)
5. Board Scores

Board score is commonly used as a screening criteria... and for community programs they matter a lot more than for academic programs...

hmmm...since when do board scores matter? I was told for fellowships, that's not really considered... most important are letters and pubs

IV from Southwestern Tex. Any first hand info about this program?

Thanks for the valuable info ghettomd. I have the following credentials:
IMG, PhD with 5 pubs and 13 abstracts, 5 awards, USMLE scores upper 80s, permanent resident and doing residency at a community program and I am still waiting for IVs. I am really not sure where I stand. Anyways, I wish all the others getting IVs all the very best and good luck on securing many more IVs. Keep the spirit of tis forum alive.

:thumbdown: dana farber
:thumbup: nih, usc, baylor, fox chase, u minnesota

how are the programs at u minn, baylor and fox chase??

IV invite via a phone call from Colorado. Nice touch

Baylor yes!

so far boston, nci, u min, usc, baylor, utsw...

rej from brigham and women.

which one is better? baylor or utsw?

interviews received by people in this forum so far.....

Columbia Univ.
Boston Univ.
Univ. of Vermont
Beth Israel Deaconess
Dana Farber
NIH/NCI
UCSF
USC
St. Vincent's
Temple/Fox Chase
UCCC
UNC
Univ. Texas Southwest
Baylor
Univ. of Minnesota
Georgetown
UC Davis

Hope everyone comes forward and posts their calls (interviews or otherwise) so that others get an idea....Thanks and GL.

Did you guys get message from UW/FHCRC?

"Sorry, I have been a little overwhelmed in the past few weeks so not a very
good communicator with you (my apologies).

I will get back to you in the next few days about the status of your
application. We are still on track to issue our invitations for interview on
Jan 19.

Thanks for your patience.

Lisa Anderson"

yes..whats with that? i thought their first notification made it clear they start inviting only after 19th jan..anyways, atleast they are keeping people updated.
nothing today, as yet.

does anybody know if programs send invitations all at once or they review some applications (like half of them) , send interviews (and maybe rejections) and then review the rest of applications?

how are the programs at u minn, baylor and fox chase??

I interviewed at UMinn 2y ago for a combined research pathway residency/fellowship. I chose not to rank it primarily b/c they are so malignant heme heavy and have minimal solid tumor research going on. I actually really liked the program overall and the hospitals and love Minneapolis. If you're interested in malignant heme or BMT it's a great place. If you want cutting edge solid tumor stuff...not so much.

Has anyone heard back from the New York or New Jersey programs :confused:

...other than Columbia, St. Vincent's, and SUNY Stony Brook?

Last edited:
Stanford by email
Interviewing Mon-Thurs: Jan, Feb, March

Northwestern by email
Interviewing various dates in March

Northwestern IV by e-mail yesterday. :)

I have gotten zero interviews out of 31 - applied to every program in NJ/NC/Maryland (except NIH), DC, and most in NY state.

Has anybody gotten any interviews from these states other than Columbia which I see people have gotten interviews for?

anxious,

Stanford- which one Hematology or Oncology?

Stanford- Hematology or Oncology? Because I think they have separate fellowship!

Stanford by email
Interviewing Mon-Thurs: Jan, Feb, March

Northwestern by email
Interviewing various dates in March

yale hematology by email, mid-december.

Congrats on those have had IVs! For most of the programs that some people already have IVs, I never get IVs or rejection. Does the silence mean rejection? Can someone help? Thanks a lot!

I applied to both hematology and oncology at Stanford- and the interview invite didn't specify heme or onc so I was assuming it was for both, but not surel

Status
Not open for further replies.