Heme vs. Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heme vs Onc?

• Total voters

Raygun77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quick question to pose to heme-onc doctors-

If in your practice you had to choose either just heme (benign + malignant) or onc (full scope of solid cancers, or just a handful of types), where everything else was a wash- money, location, hours, inpatient/outpatient mix- which would you choose?

I've got a decision like this coming up so thanks in advance for thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh to clarify- lymphoma, MM fall under the 'heme' umbrella

Hey guys, I have a quick question to pose to heme-onc doctors-

If in your practice you had to choose either just heme (benign + malignant) or onc (full scope of solid cancers, or just a handful of types), where everything else was a wash- money, location, hours, inpatient/outpatient mix- which would you choose?

I've got a decision like this coming up so thanks in advance for thoughts.
I'm not heme/onc so the question isn't addressed to me. But just in case some might be wondering why would someone ask this question, my guess is because OP is from Australia and in Australia hematology and medical oncology are two separate or distinct subspecialties from IM (i.e., advanced training from BPT). It's rare to see both as combined subspecialties like in the US. At least from what I've seen in Australia. Interesting question though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting question though!

is it really?

I don't know what kind of conclusion the OP is hoping to get. There will always be people who prefer hem and others who prefer onc. And if they're for some reason unbalanced on this forum, it still doesn't mean anything.

Reactions: 1 user
is it really?

I don't know what kind of conclusion the OP is hoping to get. There will always be people who prefer hem and others who prefer onc. And if they're for some reason unbalanced on this forum, it still doesn't mean anything.
That's a good point! I agree with you. Thanks @visari. :)

Heme is the best. And you can trust me because unlike gutonc, I have a PhD. Burnnnnn!

Reactions: 1 user
is it really?

uhh...

i'm not making my decision based on a random poll- it's about listening to thoughtful ideas and weighing them up qualitatively.

FYI, yours were worth zero- thanks for wasting both our time

I love them both but in heme you are the boss in solids the surgeon is, in heme you can cure patients and in solids you can't (again the surgeon does)
you make more money in solids (in private practice) because simply there are more patients with breast cancer than all lymphoma/ leukemia patients combined

uhh...

i'm not making my decision based on a random poll- it's about listening to thoughtful ideas and weighing them up qualitatively.

FYI, yours were worth zero- thanks for wasting both our time

That was rough! But they are right! It will depend on what you want. They cannot tell you.

Onc = outpatient, clinic, follow-ups/phone calls, lab/scan/chemo/repeat
Hem is more diverse. Benign = you need a good understanding of physiology to enjoy or else you will want to poke your eyes out. Acute leuks/BMT/induction = prolonged inpatient stays with little organ reserve and thus require great attention to details and closer follow-up. Myeloma = super chill and more like onc. Lymphoma is variable and also like onc in ways that it can be early stage and end stage.

Both = close physician-patient relationship, good management of comorbidities to preserve a decent quality of life, a lot of dedication to keep up and keep doing what's best for your patient.