Hemepath...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surfer75

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on the big pros/cons to hemepath vs. heme... I'm new to this forum and have recently been taking an interest in hemepath. The thing that struck me the most was that hemepath seems to be much more on the diagnostic side of things as opposed to heme which is profoundly treatment oriented with chemo, chemo, chemo, and abx/x-fusions. Any input would be appreciated. :p

Members don't see this ad.

I'll tell you about what I have seen in hemepath, but I cannot speak as much to the hematology branch of internal medicine. Hematopathologists have little to do with patients, but some apparently do perform marrow biopsies. Mostly they review smears flagged by the lab for pathologist review, look at bone marrows, and do flow cytometry. They also incorporate cytogenetics into their diagnostics. Most hematopathologists are at least somewhat familiar with chemotherapeutic regimens. After all, they get post-treatment marrows and malignancies arising after treatment with chemotherapeutic agents (some years later), and there really is considerable dialogue with clinicians, especially in this branch of pathology. Hope this helps.

And, they are usually in charge of the hematology and coagulation part of the lab.

Depending on the practice they will also do regular surgical path stuff too.