Henna/Mehndi on wards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schwasted589

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is such a stupid question, but I'm slightly paranoid so I figured I'd ask.

I'm getting married later this year and traditionally, brides have their hands all done up with henna. I'm due to start rotations 2 days after...is this going to be a problem/be considered completely unprofessional? Obviously if there's ANY way for me to be able to get away with wearing henna, that'd be awesome but I don't want to create a stink the first day of rotations and leave a bad impression because of something like that.

At home, this wouldn't be a problem because people are much more culturally aware and understanding (I've worn a very small nose ring for the past few years working in a hospital with no problems--people don't even realize it's there).

Members don't see this ad.

it doesn't stink after 2 days. you'll just see design on your hands. I don't know about being professional and all but just google ways to get rid of mehndi as soon as possible.

BTW Congrats!!!!!!

I'm not sure anyone would care. Several female Indian residents in my class wore henna, and no one made a big deal out of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't see it being an issue; at worst, you'll have to educate people unfamiliar with it as to what it is.

Reactions: 1 user
it doesn't stink after 2 days. you'll just see design on your hands. I don't know about being professional and all but just google ways to get rid of mehndi as soon as possible.

BTW Congrats!!!!!!
"create a stink" is an idiomatic expression, genius. I'm pretty sure @schwasted589, knows about henna since she's getting it.

Looking at Google Images of henna, it can get quite intricate, but I think people will just ask what it is since it looks very girly pretty, and you can educate them about it. I don't think it's a big deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Many hospitals have policies about covering tattoos etc on visible areas. Read the policy at your institution

Many hospitals have policies about covering tattoos etc on visible areas. Read the policy at your institution

Your point is well taken, but it's not a tattoo since the pigment is neither indelible, nor injected into the dermis.

It's also probably allowable under consideration for religious/cultural expression. How long does it take to come off anyway?

Um, henna is not a tattoo. It can be removed, and its not injected into the dermis.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but "Hair of unnatural colors styles e.g. mohawk" are both neither permanent nor allowable by policy regardless of personal/cultural/religious expression.

Do what you will, but if an administrator takes you to task over it arguing these points will likely get you no where. In my mind, in any case, it is just easier to avoid the situation and not put yourself at risk.

Or you could ask, like an adult, and explain that it's part of your cultural wedding celebration, and if the answer is no, it's no. If it's yes, it's yes. Problem solved.

Reactions: 2 users
One of my fellow students on surgery went to her brother's wedding. She returned to a very Caucasian dominated patient population without much trouble. Some patients asked her what they were. A few of the attendings tried to give her a hard time, but when she explained what they were, they quickly became silent.

It's also probably allowable under consideration for religious/cultural expression. How long does it take to come off anyway?

Depending on how often you wash your hands, it'll start yellowing 5-7 days after you apply it and be completely gone by a 1.5 weeks.

Thanks guys. :D I just wanted to see the general consensus since SDN typically borders on the more conservative side of things.

i've seen residents in our hospital with it and it didn't seem to be a problem !
I'm sure as long as you talk to your attending / person evaluating you about it and just run it past them it should be fine!

Um, henna is not a tattoo. It can be removed, and its not injected into the dermis.

I don't think most hospital administrators really care if its temporary or if it is actually a tattoo. What they care is what it looks like.

Honestly, if you can easily explain it and it is going to be gone in a week, its going to be fine.