MD & DO Here goes nothing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabDoc33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I dont have my MCAT yet so I know that there cant be a whole lot to be said, I plan on taking it this January before they roll out the new 2015 one. Lets say I score average/greater then average, I'm taking a MCAT crash course self directed post-bacc this summer and fall. I feel like I can do well on it I am an extremely strong test taker.

I am graduating this May from a small liberal arts college in Maryland, I have a 3.41 overall GPA with a 3.2 science GPA. My overall and science are so low from that damn freshmen year(straight C's), and a little bit of sophomore year. I decided to make college worth my time and got a 4.0 for the last two years.

I majored in Medical Laboratory Science(where I got most of my A's in), with a minor in bio and psych. I worked in a hospital lab performing tests and releasing results to doc's during my last two years as an undergrad. I have about 200 hours of random community service scattered throughout college, but no leadership. Deans list for the last two years, won scholarships, etc. I know I will have phenominal letters of recommendation from my science professors.

Should I bother trying MD or look at straight DO schools's?

Members don't see this ad.

I would plan on applying to DO schools regardless of what your MCAT ends up as. If you happen to knock it out of the park, you can mix in a bunch of MD schools as well. If you get an average MCAT, I would go heavy on the DO schools. It really depends on the MCAT score at this point, but as you probably know, your GPAs are more in line with DO school averages.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm majoring in medical lab sciences too elsewhere (currently a sophomore). I was wondering how working in the clinical lab looks on your application because it's clinical experience that is not geared towards patient interaction.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would imagine its viewed positively, but I also think that adcomms want you to know what its like to be a doctor; that is to be interacting with the sick patients, show humanity, etc. As just compared to knowing lab values and what they mean (which is definitely a plus). I plan on doing some shadowing and volunteering to develop that part of my application, I'm not applying until next June so I've got some time.

I would recommend to you since you have a lot of college left to try and find a scribing job at a local hospital. You get paid, and you shadow physicians. My friend does it and he said he has learned a lot. I would definitely do that if I diddn't already have a job as a Medical Lab Scientist lined up when I graduate.

Concur. There are MD schools that place more emphasis on the last 2-3 years of UG performance, so aim for them, and mainly, the low-tier schools. Don't forget your state school (if any).

I would plan on applying to DO schools regardless of what your MCAT ends up as. If you happen to knock it out of the park, you can mix in a bunch of MD schools as well. If you get an average MCAT, I would go heavy on the DO schools. It really depends on the MCAT score at this point, but as you probably know, your GPAs are more in line with DO school averages.