Here is my resume so far, any help is appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taymurf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Year in school: 3rd year (going into 4th)
  • Country/state of residence: Florida, United States
  • Schools to which you are applying: UFlorida, USouth Florida, UMiami, UOklahoma, Emory, Colorado State University, and a few other small schools. Also Nova University (DO)
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.6
  • Science GPA: 3.75
  • MCAT Scores: Registered to take in August (Expecting minimum 30, so assume that)
  • Research: ~450 hours of cardiac research at the University of Oklahoma Department of Medicine (One publication)
  • Volunteering (clinical): No volunteering in a hospital but I have had the opportunity to shadow physicians from a wide variety of fields.
  • Physician shadowing: Spent a summer shadowing a geriatric private practice physician, sat in on multiple surgeries with a pediatric eye surgeon, shadowed a world renowned electrophysiologist (he invented the electrode catheter), shadowed 2 pediatric ER surgeons throughout the summer of research at OU, shadowed a physician at the Veteran's Administration (VA) during the same summer at OU. Total of ~100-120 hours.
  • Non-clinical volunteering: Spent a semester doing an unpaid internship at Alpine Academy, which is a school that specializes in children on the severe side of the autistic spectrum. My class was in the age range of 12-18 (most of whom were unable to speak or communicate effectively). We recorded a lot of data to track the progression and accomplishments of our student under Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Therapy. Also, when I was much younger (11-14) I was involved in a program called Challenger Baseball for three years, which provided mentally and physically disabled children the chance to have fun on a baseball diamond and interact with other children.
  • Employment history: I have been involved with the development of autistic children as well as children with no abnormalities every summer for the last 3 years (until this summer). I did private sessions (kind of like the Big Brother program except with 2 autistic children trying to make them more active and improve development) with 2 autistic brothers for a full summer.
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n) No
  • Specialty of interest: Pediatrics
  • Graduate degrees: Will be receiving a Bachelors in Science after this spring.
Also, there is a good chance that I will be hired by The Princeton Review on campus at the school I attend (University of Central Florida) as an Organic Chemistry tutor for their paid MCAT review classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteer at a nursing home or something similar for the next year so that you'll have a long term commitment built up by next application cycle. Similarly, get involved in a long term (doesn't have to be a ton of hours per week - but continuous) volunteer position, your summer positions are good, but it doesn't seem like you are doing anything the other 3/4 of the year. I think this has the potential to raise questions about your abilities to handle multiple commitments, other than possibly the research you haven't shown you can take classes and do anything else concurrently.

Volunteer at a nursing home or something similar for the next year so that you'll have a long term commitment built up by next application cycle. Similarly, get involved in a long term (doesn't have to be a ton of hours per week - but continuous) volunteer position, your summer positions are good, but it doesn't seem like you are doing anything the other 3/4 of the year. I think this has the potential to raise questions about your abilities to handle multiple commitments, other than possibly the research you haven't shown you can take classes and do anything else concurrently.
I agree that those are a good idea and I will look for something, but I have also considered taking a gap year to volunteer a lot and work to save up some money. By the way, while taking Organic chem 2, Physics, Pathophysiology, and a professional development class I was also working 15 hours per week at the unpaid internship at Alpine Academy.
Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.