Here we go, advice would be appreciated :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Funnyguy69

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Longtime lurker here hoping to get started on SDN and contribute to the community in any way I can. I just applied during the 2014-2015 cycle and got no luck at all (0 interviews, lots of pre-interview holds). Still have some schools where I haven't received the rejection hammer yet but I am starting to prepare for re-application in the next cycle.

I was wondering if I could get some of your input on what I could do to improve my application. I did the recommended stuff by applying broadly (20+ schools of varying ranges) and got my primary in on day 1, but submitted secondaries a bite late (mid August - September).

App:
Graduated Bio major from UC Berkeley
CA resident
cGPA: 3.61
sGPA: 3.42
MCAT: 34
2+ years clinical research (no publications but worked closely with the PI alot so LOR is solid)
~100 hrs health fair volunteering
~ 80 hrs shadowing (40 for primary care, 40 for specialties)
Tutored for a quarter and led a bunch of leadership camp stuff throughout college.

Stuff I did this year (that wasn't on my app)
Worked as an EMT (probably 500+ hours by now)

Didn't apply DO last cycle but definitely considering it now since I want to go into primary care. Should I apply to SMP and post-bacc? Worried a bit about my sGPA being on the lower side. Felt like I had strong LORs ( 1 from PI, 2 from profs, 2 from extracurricular). Reading over my PS I feel like it could have been alot better so really going to try to focus on that. Anything else that really stands out that I could improve on?

Really appreciate your advice and help :) Looking forward to being more active on SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

You will get into a DO school. Have you shadowed a DO? And the only thing I can see is the sGPA but really a 3.42 isn't that low tbh. I think your lack of success this cycle could have been the huge gap between your primary and secondaries being sent out…. oh, and you're from Cali...

I would beef up your clinical exposure and try to nail a publication. I would get a few objective people to read your PS and provide critical feedback. Your scores should make you competitive for MD.

I would again apply early and broadly...and throw out some DO applications as well.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks alot for the advice! And yes I am definitely focusing on beefing up clinical exposure.

I applied to:

Albany MC
Boston University
Case Western
Drexel
Emory
GWU
Georgetown
Morehouse
Penn State
Rutgers
St. Louis
Stanford
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UCSD
UCLA
Vermont

I didn't get the MSAR when I was applying. Definitely getting it this year though. I mostly went off of what I read off each school's website and the statistics from AAMC.

Apply earlier, to more private schools and beef up your clinical volunteering/experience. Do that and you're golden.

You have competitive numbers/experience. Keep strengthening your app and you will be in for sure. Apply to both MD and DO schools. You will absolutely be accepted to a COM.

I applied to:

Albany MC
Boston University
Case Western
Drexel
Emory
GWU
Georgetown
Morehouse
Penn State
Rutgers
St. Louis
Stanford
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside
UCSD
UCLA
Vermont

I didn't get the MSAR when I was applying. Definitely getting it this year though. I mostly went off of what I read off each school's website and the statistics from AAMC.
unless you are URM drop morehouse. If you are URM add more like Howard. Drop Rutgers cuz they really like NJ applicants or strong ties. add some more private schools and state schools that are OOS friendly (should be able to find it on sdn somewhere). Get secondaries in day 1 you get them by prewriting. A postbac or smp would help with grades since you are on the low end but doing some volunteering or continuing as EMT through your gap year would be good. reapplicants need to show their ability to address your weak points and improve. hope this helped

Thank you guys! This is all really good information and making me feel much better.
Just wondering, how would one go about finding specific information for each school such as OOS friendliness and whether or not they lean towards URM more? I primarily used AAMC statistics and info from each school's respective websites.

I'm guessing MSAR?

The last tab in each schools's MSAR profile has acceptance information.

Delete:
Albany MC
Boston University
Case Western
Drexel
Emory
GWU (> 13k aps)
Georgetown (")
Morehouse (mission-based)

Penn State
Rutgers (No OOS)
St. Louis
Stanford (!)
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (unless you are from the IE)
UCSD
UCLA
Vermont

Agree 100% with my learned colleague. I can't recommend Penn State as their parent body protected a child molester for > 20 years.

The last tab in each schools's MSAR profile has acceptance information.

Delete:
Albany MC
Boston University
Case Western
Drexel
Emory
GWU (> 13k aps)
Georgetown (")
Morehouse (mission-based)

Penn State
Rutgers (No OOS)
St. Louis
Stanford (!)
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
Tufts
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (unless you are from the IE)
UCSD
UCLA
Vermont

I recommend you add these schools:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Commonwealth (PA)
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Tulane
Any new private MD schools that open in 2016
At least 10 DO schools

why oh why do people not take this seriously! I mean look at all the time and effort you have spent yet then sent in secondaries late! ugh. Okay next time SEND IN secondaries ASAP as they come in! this is KEY. You have solid numbers and ECs so I am going to say you stalled with the secondaries. Also add more schools yes, I said it too competitive now and you should aim for 30 yup as now you are a re-applicant.