Here we go!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yet, doctors must "trust" that the ABMS, ABIM, and others have their best interests in mind when they set their policies? The process comes at huge expense to the physician with little to no proof that it is effective at what it is intended to do. Meanwhile, the ABMS profits heavily and the system is fraught with corruption, as recent Newsweek articles have pointed out. Funny that she gave no mention of the high level corruption in the system that has been exposed. I don't necessarily disagree that physicians should be held to a high standard and encouraged to constantly improve and stay current. The ones upset are not arguing against that. She has pulled a bait and switch and made it appear that, if a doctor is upset, then they are a bad doctor who does not wish to stay current. That is not the case at all. Physicians are upset at the corrupt system which has no evidence to show that it is helpful in achieving what it claims to achieve.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, deftly done. Sneaky little nod to the To Err is Human report. We all know better, but the lay public will eat this up.

She is completely unbiased...
Here is a testimonial on her website for one of her "doctors are bad" books:

"A wake-up call for Americans."

Dr. Christine Cassel, President
American Board of Internal Medicine

Sounds like they have a nice symbiotic relationship going.

Last edited:
I know this isn't quite the topic, but it seems hypocritical that everyone seems to be ok with folks with less training (midlevels, nurses, etc), getting broader practice rights, yet somehow people decided doctors, who have the MOST training/education, need ADDITIONAL testing to be judged as safe. Those points are pretty incongruous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I know this isn't quite the topic, but it seems hypocritical that everyone seems to be ok with folks with less training (midlevels, nurses, etc), getting broader practice rights, yet somehow people decided doctors, who have the MOST training/education, need ADDITIONAL training to be safe. Those points are pretty incongruous.

Oh the irony of being a doctor right?

Reactions: 1 users
Oh the irony of being a doctor right?

Valid points.

And, this from the article...

Recent estimates suggest that more than 400,000 Americans die from preventable health care harm annually.

Give me a ****ing break! I don't care about "estimates". How many millions of people die every year as a result of their bad lifestyle choices? Oh, wait. Now they are trying to hang those on us too.

Reactions: 1 user
Valid points.

And, this from the article...

Give me a ****ing break! I don't care about "estimates". How many millions of people die every year as a result of their bad lifestyle choices? Oh, wait. Now they are trying to hang those on us too.

This is why I cannot do primary care for the love of my life. How in the hell is it my fault you: smoked for 40 years and surprise you have cancer? Decided to stop taking your DM medication because you "felt you didn't need it," and wonder why you'll eventually get neuropathy, MI etc. The list could go on and on. I think medicine needs more of a buy in or "skin in the game," for patients, not more regulation for doctors.

I'm not sure where I recalled reading this, somewhere on this forum or another, but there was a story that the car manufacturers (back when it was strong) decided to give all their employees free sodas. They put free vending machines everywhere and low and behold they found half empty cans everywhere. After some testing, they found after raising the price to X set point, people perceived they were getting a great deal and no more half empty cans around. I think the same is with healthcare. People just take for granted everything they get with healthcare, therefore aren't really motivated to make any changes.

I know nothing like that would ever pass, but I truly think that's the road to fix healthcare, not more doctor regulation nor allowing more under-qualified people to "play doctor" at the sake of getting more people access.

I'm not sure where I recalled reading this, somewhere on this forum or another, but there was a story that the car manufacturers (back when it was strong) decided to give all their employees free sodas. They put free vending machines everywhere and low and behold they found half empty cans everywhere. After some testing, they found after raising the price to X set point, people perceived they were getting a great deal and no more half empty cans around.

Would love to read more about this story but my Google Fu is not very strong today. Link?

Yeah let me see if I can find it. I honestly should have saved the story since it was pretty interesting story.

The road to being a doctor is paved with unnecessary examinations (Step 2 CS). Heck even Step 3 is a horrible waste of time. Those simulated cases are a joke and the entire theme of the test is completely unrealistic compared to how actual medicine is practiced.

That article is horrible though, because rather than back her position with facts she resorts to drumming up public support. "Your doctor hasn't studied more than 20 hours this year".

The media should invite the public into the dialogue. Hopefully it will be without some of the vitriol that has surfaced. Perhaps it is indicative of physician burnout, fueled by unrealistic demands by their employers and insurance companies to see too many patients in too little time in a system filled with opportunities for error. Whatever the etiology, a constructive tone would be consistent with the professionalism the public expects"

What a load of horse crap.