Here's what actual DO discrimination looks like.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NurWollen

Strong with the Force
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Luckily it's not coming from within the medical community. In fact the Texas medical association is prettt PO'd.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...y-judge-takes-position-that-could-9525394.php

Premeds, don't freak out. This is literally the only time I've ever heard of something like this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Whenever there is a judges ruling that ignores common sense there is almost always a dubious political reason behind it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't find it referenced anywhere else via Google. Only this one article behind a paywall. As you were...

I just signed up for free access through the Houston library for anyone else interested here is the relevant bit fron the article.

"Olsen cited a section of the state health and safety code that says,"a physician shall examine the person,"and defines a physician as "a person licensed to practice medicine in this state." He said the term physician implies an MD and rejected arguments about the law already establishing that physicians can be either medical doctors or Osteopathic doctors because a"specific"provision in the code trumps a more"general"one."

He also said the law was always this way he just didn't notice before now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Isn't Texas supposed to be one of the more DO-friendly states?

I just signed up for free access through the Houston library for anyone else interested here is the relevant bit fron the article.

"Olsen cited a section of the state health and safety code that says,"a physician shall examine the person,"and defines a physician as "a person licensed to practice medicine in this state." He said the term physician implies an MD and rejected arguments about the law already establishing that physicians can be either medical doctors or Osteopathic doctors because a"specific"provision in the code trumps a more"general"one."

He also said the law was always this way he just didn't notice before now.
Lol imagine being a lawyer and having to deal with logic like that on a daily basis.

Reactions: 1 users
https://www.texmed.org/Template.aspx?id=42348

On Sept. 2, Judge Rory Olsen of Harris County Probate Court #3 issued a directive that his court would not accept mental health commitment papers signed by DOs.

Responding to a request from a leading Houston psychiatrist who is also a DO, TMA's legal staff initially contacted Judge Olsen via telephone. TMA, the Harris County Medical Society, the Texas Osteopathic Medical Association, the Federation of Texas Psychiatry, and the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) then wrote a joint letter to Judge Olsen explaining the legal equivalence in Texas of allopathic and osteopathic physicians.

"Eliminating DOs' authority in the most populous county in Texas could have disastrous consequences for the health and safety of persons who physicians have determined need protective psychiatric care," they wrote.

Lawyers for AOA and the Texas Medical Board also sent Judge Olsen detailed legal briefs on the issue. All of the organizations involved continue to work toward a quick resolution of the problem before it precipitates a mental health crisis in Houston or spreads to other parts of the state.

Judge is a ****ing idiot. Probably doesn't realize that >80% of DO psychiatrists train in ACGME programs, or even know what the ACGME is. This should be an easy case to petition to a higher court if he doesn't play along. It's ridiculous, and the only reason I can see the judge taking this position is to save money on mental health services by limiting who can commit patients.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems Harris County is stuck in the 1800s. Someone should tell them about this radical new drug called penicillin while we're at it.

It seems Harris County is stuck in the 1800s. Someone should tell them about this radical new drug called penicillin while we're at it.
Ironic, actually, since Harris County actually has the largest and one of the most advanced medical facilities in the world.

6 minutes of searching the Texas Occupations Code led me to the following statutes:

Subchapter A, General Provisions, Sec. 151.002 (4), Definitions:

"Doctor of osteopathic medicine" includes a doctor of osteopathy, an osteopath, an osteopathic physician, and an osteopathic surgeon.

Subchapter D, Physician Credentialing, Sec. 162.151 (4), Definitions:

"Physician" means a holder of or applicant for a license under this subtitle as a medical doctor or doctor of osteopathy.

Subchapter B, Application, Sec 151.051, Descrimination based on type of academic medical degree or certain religious tenants prohibited:

A hospital, institution, or program that is licensed by the state, is operated by the state or a political subdivision of the state, or directly or indirectly receives state financial assistance may not differentiate in regard to a person licensed under this subtitle solely on the basis of the academic medical degree held by the person. [...] This subtitle may not be construed in a manner that discriminates against a school or system of medical practice.

Not sure what's vague about that. I guess the judge should let all those UNT HSC grads know that the state-supported medical school they attended gave them a worthless degree...

. Delete this post. Just read the above article about the reversal.

When I read this, I also thought "this has to have a petty political motive."

Then I thought "this judge is completely crazy."

Hmm, what possible reason would a crazy judge have to prevent a doctor from committing crazy people?

When I read this, I also thought "this has to have a petty political motive."

Then I thought "this judge is completely crazy."

Hmm, what possible reason would a crazy judge have to prevent a doctor from committing crazy people?

I would hope that a medical student would know better than to refer to psychiatric patients as "crazy people".

I would hope that a medical student would know better than to refer to psychiatric patients as "crazy people".

Bat**** crazy, or similar phrases, are perfectly acceptable medical terms. They're in the group of "terms that are ok to use when talking with other medical people". It's not considered a good idea to call a patient crazy to their face though.

I do draw the line at "cray-cray" when someone uses it on rounds.

Reactions: 6 users

You might find yourself disappointed in people's choice of words out on the wards

Reactions: 2 users
Of course I know better than to use the phrase "crazy" to refer to a psychiatric patient!

Using the phrase "crazy" to refer to a crazy judge is another matter.

I remember when I was volunteering in a Regional Hospital and during small talk I was asked about my future plans by a R.N. I explained that I'm applying to a Osteopathic School to become a DO. Nurses and some med.lab folks started to talk about how good my choice is and that Chiropractors earn a good money lol. They were thinking that I was going to be a chiropractor or sort. I tried to explain to them that it's not that, but judging by their faces I knew that they were thinking that I'm a "doctorwannabe" crook trying to convince everyone that Chiropractors are doctors too. And that was in a regional hospital... :smack: So I'm thinking spending some advertisement/brochure/seminar money for some DO image and education in our community is probably not the worst idea as there are many people still who like that judge are in fairyland simply not knowing what the heck DO is

I remember when I was volunteering in a Regional Hospital and during small talk I was asked about my future plans by a R.N. I explained that I'm applying to a Osteopathic School to become a DO. Nurses and some med.lab folks started to talk about how good my choice is and that Chiropractors earn a good money lol. They were thinking that I was going to be a chiropractor or sort. I tried to explain to them that it's not that, but judging by their faces I knew that they were thinking that I'm a "doctorwannabe" crook trying to convince everyone that Chiropractors are doctors too. And that was in a regional hospital... :smack: So I'm thinking spending some advertisement/brochure/seminar money for some DO image and education in our community is probably not the worst idea as there are many people still who like that judge are in fairyland simply not knowing what the heck DO is
When you become a doctor, everyone will call you Dr. Dushash--not Dushash D.O.... Chances are these nurses and techs have interacted with DO and didn't even realize that...

Reactions: 3 users
When you become a doctor, everyone will call you Dr. Dushash--not Dushash D.O.... Chances are these nurses and techs have interacted with DO and didn't even realize that...
We were told that 25% of all current medical students are in DO schools. So hopefully that means that one day close to a quarter of all docs working in hospitals will be a DOs. Hopefully by that time 99% of people will know better :) Good times ahead lol

I'm just amazed that the judge couldn't see past the general public-rudimentary-TV definition of a doctor and actually trust experts in the field.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Lol this reminds me of a time when I was chilling in the ED, looking at PACS with the attending and talking about DO school, and a particularly outspoken tech overheard and said with complete sincerity to my attending, "D.O? ...so you're like a bone doctor?" And the attending just turned, paused and stared at him with a look of utter disbelief that read "how can you be this ****ing stupid, i've been working in this ED with you for years, do you really think I'm a bone doctor, whatever the **** that means?" but instead attending just said "No" then turned back to me and continued our conversation. I now underestimate every tech I meet, for better or for worse.

Last edited:
If you want some more action, just scroll down and read this docs bio.

http://www.advancedskinofoc.com/about/

LMAO

Dude is savage.

"This is very important- Please note DR. LAUBER is a real Medical Doctor and not an Inferiorly educated and Inferiorly trained DO or Osteopathic Doctor–. Also please note that my practice has not and will not ever employ Nurse practitioners or Physicians assistants ever. Twenty five years ago that would have been unheard of ."

Is there any reason he points out that he's a 'Jewish dermatologist'? Any religious reason why maybe a Jewish patient might be more comfortable being seen by a Jewish physician?

What a douche.
His dbaggery of putting down other professions and equivalent degrees makes him seem like a self righteous greedy toolbag that's desperate for patients. That kind of bio just screams of fake reviews that he probably wrote himself.

Whenever there is a judges ruling that ignores common sense there is almost always a dubious political reason behind it.

According to a friend who worked as a family lawyer in a previous life in Houston, that judge had a very long reputation for ... being stupid.

Rory Olsen got his bachelor's degree in political science from Loyola University, his law degree from Duke, an MBA from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and an LLM from Southern Methodist University...

His critics, who come from not only the legal system but the mental health community as well (his court is designated the primary one to hear commitment proceedings), claim that whatever his education résumé -- and it is an impressive one -- Olsen doesn't know the law. At least not the law he rules on.

In fact, critics often refer to him as "stupid," "dumb" or "that idiot." Or as one noted attorney put it: "He's dumber than a bucket of hair."

That was in 2002!

Isn't Texas supposed to be one of the more DO-friendly states?

The past president of the Texas Medical Board is a TCOM graduate who was appointed by Rick Perry. And he was not the first DO president. He, and another DO before him, presided over the board for at least a decade. So the law is very well established in Texas.

If you want some more action, just scroll down and read this docs bio.
http://www.advancedskinofoc.com/about/

I had to look up the reviews on my break... Couldn't resist.

2/24/2014

I am a young college athlete in Irvine. I Contacted Mr. Jeffrey S. Lauber regarding a peculiar lump on my leg presumably staff infection. As a twenty year old away from home and in an unfamiliar environment I asked Mr. Lauber for an appointment for a diagnosis of the unwanted infection. I was appalled when he responded:

"I couldn't charge you enough to make it worth my time for you to come in and contaminate my office."

Thank you however for the recommendation to prompt care/walk-in. Even their service was more personal than a private practicing MD such as yourself.

Warmest regards,

5/9/2015

Very unprofessional. When doctor Lauber returned my call he was rude on the phone to the point he was trying to belittle me. From the start I felt what kind of doctor is this.
Then when I told him what I thought might my issue is his response was "That's not something I want to manage. Good luck." and he hung up on me.

I am not a doctor so what I thought was the problem may not even be correct. it would have been nice if he took 20 more seconds to find out why I thought this was the case. He did not. I got the impression he was merely looking for big ticket items and my case wasn't severe enough for him to make money.

From reading the other reviews maybe he knows his stuff but if he is this rude and arrogant to all of his customers I'd rather go elsewhere. I am sure there are plenty of dermatologists in Socal who "know their stuff".​

Sounds like he is an old guy who is not getting a lot of business nowadays:

9/21/2016

I yelped dermatologists in my area, found Dr. Lauber with 5 stars, and called to schedule an appt. to have him look at a tiny mole on my arm that I thought could be cancerous. Surprisingly Dr. L answered my call and told me he'd call me right back. He called within 5 minutes, and I scheduled an appointment later in the day. However, after my brief conversation, I was not sure what to think or if I even wanted to come in because he was almost rude in his direct approach. Although I didn't have time to read but a few reviews, I decided to come in, and I am very happy I did.

I found Dr. L to be smart, honest, and personable. He had given me a quote for the office visit and biopsy lab work, but surprisingly I was not charged anything. He took a look at my tiny mold and told me it was nothing to be concerned about and sent me on my way. This experience tells me it's not about money for Dr. L, it's about respect for the practice of medicine and respect for his patients.

FYI.....During my short visit, I learn a lot about Dr. L...that he's practiced for over 25 years at the same location, has a no nonsense approach to treating acne that will give results, specializes in treating skin issues due to STD's, and has a great sense of humor about it all!

Smart, honest, funny and personable!
As of today, Dr. L is my new dermatologist:)

As a matter of fact, he is accepting Vietnamese soup as payment LOL:

9/22/2016

I had called and explained over the phone to Dr. Lauber that I had a concern about a lump that was forming on my temple. I also told him that I didn't have insurance and wanted to inquire about pricing. He told me that if I brought pho for him he'd look at it for free and wouldn't charge me anything. I didn't think he was serious but I picked up some pho and brought it to him anyway and he stuck to his word!He waived the usual consultation fee most places would charge and instead looked at my cyst, drained it, gave me some advice, and put me on my way. Though I did pay a small fee on top of the pho, it was reasonable and a great deal compared to other places. Thanks again Dr. Lauber!!​

Last edited:
I had to look up the reviews on my break... Couldn't resist.

2/24/2014

I am a young college athlete in Irvine. I Contacted Mr. Jeffrey S. Lauber regarding a peculiar lump on my leg presumably staff infection. As a twenty year old away from home and in an unfamiliar environment I asked Mr. Lauber for an appointment for a diagnosis of the unwanted infection. I was appalled when he responded:

"I couldn't charge you enough to make it worth my time for you to come in and contaminate my office."

Thank you however for the recommendation to prompt care/walk-in. Even their service was more personal than a private practicing MD such as yourself.

Warmest regards,

5/9/2015

Very unprofessional. When doctor Lauber returned my call he was rude on the phone to the point he was trying to belittle me. From the start I felt what kind of doctor is this.
Then when I told him what I thought might my issue is his response was "That's not something I want to manage. Good luck." and he hung up on me.

I am not a doctor so what I thought was the problem may not even be correct. it would have been nice if he took 20 more seconds to find out why I thought this was the case. He did not. I got the impression he was merely looking for big ticket items and my case wasn't severe enough for him to make money.

From reading the other reviews maybe he knows his stuff but if he is this rude and arrogant to all of his customers I'd rather go elsewhere. I am sure there are plenty of dermatologists in Socal who "know their stuff".​

Sounds like he is an old guy who is not getting a lot of business nowadays:

9/21/2016

I yelped dermatologists in my area, found Dr. Lauber with 5 stars, and called to schedule an appt. to have him look at a tiny mole on my arm that I thought could be cancerous. Surprisingly Dr. L answered my call and told me he'd call me right back. He called within 5 minutes, and I scheduled an appointment later in the day. However, after my brief conversation, I was not sure what to think or if I even wanted to come in because he was almost rude in his direct approach. Although I didn't have time to read but a few reviews, I decided to come in, and I am very happy I did.

I found Dr. L to be smart, honest, and personable. He had given me a quote for the office visit and biopsy lab work, but surprisingly I was not charged anything. He took a look at my tiny mold and told me it was nothing to be concerned about and sent me on my way. This experience tells me it's not about money for Dr. L, it's about respect for the practice of medicine and respect for his patients.

FYI.....During my short visit, I learn a lot about Dr. L...that he's practiced for over 25 years at the same location, has a no nonsense approach to treating acne that will give results, specializes in treating skin issues due to STD's, and has a great sense of humor about it all!

Smart, honest, funny and personable!
As of today, Dr. L is my new dermatologist:)

As a matter of fact, he is accepting Vietnamese soup as payment LOL:

9/22/2016

I had called and explained over the phone to Dr. Lauber that I had a concern about a lump that was forming on my temple. I also told him that I didn't have insurance and wanted to inquire about pricing. He told me that if I brought pho for him he'd look at it for free and wouldn't charge me anything. I didn't think he was serious but I picked up some pho and brought it to him anyway and he stuck to his word!He waived the usual consultation fee most places would charge and instead looked at my cyst, drained it, gave me some advice, and put me on my way. Though I did pay a small fee on top of the pho, it was reasonable and a great deal compared to other places. Thanks again Dr. Lauber!!​
So. Mixed reviews. Just like every physician in America.

The past president of the Texas Medical Board is a TCOM graduate who was appointed by Rick Perry. And he was not the first DO president. He, and another DO before him, presided over the board for at least a decade. So the law is very well established in Texas.

I am confused by this post. Which are you suggesting ?
- That DOs are seen as at least equivalent in Texas?
- that Rick Perry is a *****?
- that the bar is set low for texas physicians?

Last edited:
I am confused by this post. Which are you suggesting ?
- That DOs are seen as at least equivalent in Texas?
- that Rick Perry is a *****?
- that the bar is set low for texas physicians?

You're joking, right? His post was clearly stating that DOs are well established in Texas, and that judge is a *****.

You're joking, right? His post was clearly stating that DOs are well established in Texas, and that judge is a *****.

Clearly I completely missed that. In no way did I realize the point that was being made. Also I recently found out about these things called sarcasm and humor. I think you should try and learn about them. They appear to be useful tools on the inter webs.

Clearly I completely missed that. In no way did I realize the point that was being made. Also I recently found out about these things called sarcasm and humor. I think you should try and learn about them. They appear to be useful tools on the inter webs.

Well you might want to read some more, because your ability to use those things is lacking.