Herpes or cold sores patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlyingSky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning fellow dental students, Im having serious questions about herpes labialis I hope you guys can enlighten me, sorry for the mistakes too much drinking

Ive been really scared to catch herpes labialis lately, I tend to turn my face when patients or people I dont know talk to me because Im afraid they spit while talking
My twin contracted it from drinking from someone elses drink (he remembered later that the person had episodes in the past)
So I know there is CLEARLY a chance to contract herpes from someone who doesnt have active cold sores

I would like to know more infos about the matter, what are the odds of contracting the virus from someone spitting while talking
is it safer to have blistex on lips all the time or could the virus get glued
And as dentists how do you guys deal with this issue

Members don't see this ad.

Good morning fellow dental students, Im having serious questions about herpes labialis I hope you guys can enlighten me, sorry for the mistakes too much drinking

Ive been really scared to catch herpes labialis lately, I tend to turn my face when patients or people I dont know talk to me because Im afraid they spit while talking
My twin contracted it from drinking from someone elses drink (he remembered later that the person had episodes in the past)
So I know there is CLEARLY a chance to contract herpes from someone who doesnt have active cold sores

I would like to know more infos about the matter, what are the odds of contracting the virus from someone spitting while talking

Don't worry about it. Just wear a face mask. Which you should anyway when dealing with patients.

You probably already have been exposed and have antibodies against the virus. HSV1 is so common and contagious that I believe 90% of people test positive at some point. Most people acquire the infection during childhood. I wouldn't worry about anything with this.

Source: ^ James, William D.; Berger, Timothy G.; et al. (2006). Andrews' Diseases of the Skin: clinical Dermatology. Saunders Elsevier. ISBN 0-7216-2921-0.
^ Xu, Fujie; Fujie Xu, MD, PhD; Maya R. Sternberg, PhD; Benny J. Kottiri, PhD; Geraldine M. McQuillan, PhD; Francis K. Lee, PhD; Andre J. Nahmias, MD; Stuart M. Berman, MD, ScM; Lauri E. Markowitz, MD (2006-10-23). "Trends in Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 and Type 2 Seroprevalence in the United States". JAMA (AMA) 296 (8): 964–73.

HSV-1 affected 57.7% of Americans tested in a 1999–2004 study.[2] By age 50, 80%–90% of adults have the virus.[3] More than 50 million adults in the U.S. develop symptomatic episodes every year