Hey Caver! (the equipment comparing thread, with pics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm talkin with the 300...

I won't have the lens next year.

I do see the limitation of this lens. For birding, I think you really need 500 to 600mm of reach with TC.

This lens I think will work great with sideline sports photography. I'll use it for kid's soccer this season.

I won't have the lens next year.

I do see the limitation of this lens. For birding, I think you really need 500 to 600mm of reach with TC.

This lens I think will work great with sideline sports photography. I'll use it for kid's soccer this season.

Why do you only have it until October? Did you rent it or something? Or someone just let you borrow it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm new to this thread, but since it's about photography, I'll join in. I've dragged myself kicking and screaming into digital, but I still prefer my old Canon A1 and F1. Missed the boat on Kodachrome, but I still enjoy Ektachrome and an occasional trip to the freezer for a roll of Panatomic X.

Here's a link to a few of my shots. If there's any interest, I'll be glad to share more.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/myshot/gallery/329423#/gallery/1143110/

John

Well, I'm new to this thread, but since it's about photography, I'll join in. I've dragged myself kicking and screaming into digital, but I still prefer my old Canon A1 and F1. Missed the boat on Kodachrome, but I still enjoy Ektachrome and an occasional trip to the freezer for a roll of Panatomic X.

Here's a link to a few of my shots. If there's any interest, I'll be glad to share more.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/myshot/gallery/329423#/gallery/1143110/

John

Absolutely...well, welcome to the small club John.

I know where you're coming from though; in fact, Z was one of the main influences in getting me to finally make the switch. But I haven't looked back since! :D

Summer in the city! :love:

4lhxlc.jpg

Finally accepted the reality FF isn't suitable for kid's sports. Hopefully this combo will work.

:thumbup:

pa081148.jpg

pa081155.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I had money to burn! Stupid low paying government job!

Speaking of which...

...I just realized I went over the cap for social security taxes on the year. The gubmint lets me keep like $300 more a month now. I just don't get taxed now. No effing wonder social security is going bankrupt.

Speaking of which...

...I just realized I went over the cap for social security taxes on the year. The gubmint lets me keep like $300 more a month now. I just don't get taxed now. No effing wonder social security is going bankrupt.

Bernie Madoff certainly didn't have an income cut-off with his Ponzi scheme. Not sure why the gubmint does.

dsc0005pw.jpg
dsc0005pw.jpg

Yogi wants to know when she can come over & play....

Can my evil kitty come and play?

136345254029418314813188643647BcsKCkbbSMBXw5IW4rx.JPG

Midnight. One of my cats. I didn't name him. He'd have a cooler name if I named him. My other black cat is named Pompeii. Or Pom-pom.

Can my evil kitty come and play?

136345254029418314813188643647BcsKCkbbSMBXw5IW4rx.JPG

Midnight. One of my cats. I didn't name him. He'd have a cooler name if I named him. My other black cat is named Pompeii. Or Pom-pom.

I'll have to check with Mo:
picture001lr.jpg

or Jazz:
0011id.jpg

I thought so. I really want to like that lens. Everything else about it is excellent, except for the bokeh...

Yeah, I can't pinpoint it either. It's hit or miss, and I suspect it has to do with the lighting/DOF, etc. of the background. Because sometimes I get real nice creamy bokeh...and sometimes it's very disjointed. :(

Yeah, I can't pinpoint it either. It's hit or miss, and I suspect it has to do with the lighting/DOF, etc. of the background. Because sometimes I get real nice creamy bokeh...and sometimes it's very disjointed. :(

Kinda difficult to get that creamy yet bubbly round bokeh in wide angle to 50mm range even with 1.6X Crop factor... you'll get killer bokeh with 85mm 1.8 (sans purple fringing) to 200mm range...

I get some sick bokeh with old Takumar lenses.. and Siggy 50mm 1.4..

I don't think I can get very good bokeh with 17-40mm... and it doesn't help that it's f4.

Well... I realized I will never use the Pen FT.. hated to do it but I sold it. At the same time, I don't want to hoard these. I'm not a collector.

But I'm keeping the Pentax 6x7. It will complement the Hassy in shooting medium format film.

Well... I realized I will never use the Pen FT.. hated to do it but I sold it. At the same time, I don't want to hoard these. I'm not a collector.

But I'm keeping the Pentax 6x7. It will complement the Hassy in shooting medium format film.
Any suggestions on how to clean the inner mirror? I got a spec of dust in it...want to have it running right before I flee the country again...

Any suggestions on how to clean the inner mirror? I got a spec of dust in it...want to have it running right before I flee the country again...

It's probably not the mirror. Most likely inside of the viewfinder and the prism mirror. You probably won't be able to access it unless you open it up. The problem is, that area is sticky and more you try to clean, dirtier it will get.

I know how to open the viewfinder on Canon... though I would never do it again.

If you try to blow it using a rubber bulb or air can, good chance it'll get dirtier.

My recommendation? Live with it...or send it back to Nikon and have them clean it... it'll cost you.

Well... go ahead and take off the focus screen carefully and see if you can blow off the dust on the inside of the focus screen and the outerlayer of the prism...

Here's an illustration for Canon 5D. So at least you'll have an idea.

http://www.ascent-design.com/photo/Clean5D/

Why you leaving country again?

It's probably not the mirror. Most likely inside of the viewfinder and the prism mirror. You probably won't be able to access it unless you open it up. The problem is, that area is sticky and more you try to clean, dirtier it will get.

I know how to open the viewfinder on Canon... though I would never do it again.

If you try to blow it using a rubber bulb or air can, good chance it'll get dirtier.

My recommendation? Live with it...or send it back to Nikon and have them clean it... it'll cost you.

Well... go ahead and take off the focus screen carefully and see if you can blow off the dust on the inside of the focus screen and the outerlayer of the prism...

Here's an illustration for Canon 5D. So at least you'll have an idea.

http://www.ascent-design.com/photo/Clean5D/

Why you leaving country again?
You remember those two spots you pointed out on my photos a year ago? I never got it fixed and it's pissing me off every time a take a great photo of my kids! I was figuring it was dust in the mirror or sensor but perhaps you're right. Maybe it's justification to buy a new body but I don't really want to spend that kind of money on it right now...

I'm moving to Germany in a few months, unless something drastic happens. I just wish I wasn't moving there in the middle of winter! Oh well...at least this time I can bring my family!

dood...

That's not a dust on the mirror. It's on your sensor.

Here's the tutorial. It's a scary thought to swab (don't use ear swab) your sensor but do know your sensor is covered with protective screen which you can clean.

http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials

You need to buy this kit and learn how to do it...once you learn it...it takes less than 5 minutes to clean.

Or local camera repair shop will charge $25 to clean it.

Freakin Germany? what in the world for...

At least you can bring home a German Car...

dood...

That's not a dust on the mirror. It's on your sensor.

Here's the tutorial. It's a scary thought to swab (don't use ear swab) your sensor but do know your sensor is covered with protective screen which you can clean.

http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials

You need to buy this kit and learn how to do it...once you learn it...it takes less than 5 minutes to clean.

Or local camera repair shop will charge $25 to clean it.

Freakin Germany? what in the world for...

At least you can bring home a German Car...
We have quick reaction forces in Germany and Italy. (i.e. the folks that went into Libya and are prepared to respond to any disruption around Europe) I'm excited but not thrilled. Everybody I have ever talked to has had a great experience in Germany so I guess we will see. I am certainly looking forward to no longer working 12 hour days like I've been for the last 10 months. Going from being in charge of a system that processes 4,000 to 5,000 outpatient prescriptions a day to 300 day will be a nice welcome change!

Thanks for the link...I'll look into it! I need to take care of it ASAP with the holidays coming up.