Hey Caver! (the equipment comparing thread, with pics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, my girlfriend and I have been wanting to get a DSLR for some time now. I've gone to numerous review sites discussing the best "2014" and "2013" cameras to get.

As we're just getting into the hobby, I'm not certain I want to invest in the new Nikon D5200 or Canon equivalent just yet.

What would you all recommend as a somewhat dated, but adequate DSLR that would give me something to do in my free time?

Get the cheapest/lowest Canon or Nikon model you can get (Keh might have some good used gear) and spend no more than $120 on a 50mm fixed focal length lens at f/1.8 or f/1.4.

Set the thing to all manual and spend about 3 months figuring it out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, bought a Nikon D3200 today w/ kit lens. Might have some time to mess around with it tomorrow. I'll post pictures of anything worthy!

Like a PUMPKIN!

32687378013525609410336.jpg

32675978013676806419651.jpg

wow, beautiful pics! what camera?

Step 1 = ditch the kit and buy a prime

Nothing wrong with the kit lens. And Primes add up. More lenses...more time you spend swapping lenses. And high end zooms now have similar IQ to primes.

DSLR is outdated.

Will keep some DSLR...but mostly u43 now. Will add Sony A7R and Medium Format Digital.

Hey...Picasso, nice painting, what brushes?
At least Picasso actually created things. Photography is basically pushing a button while its pointed at something that you didn't create. And, no, I don't care how hard you insist it is. It isn't. Photography is for upper middle class people and hipsters who need to feel like they are fantastic artists.

Still no pictures of hobos doing hobo things I've demanded for years. The woman lives in Baltimore for cripes sake.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least Picasso actually created things. Photography is basically pushing a button while its pointed at something that you didn't create.

Yet no one can duplicate what Ansel Adams did even with superior photography technology today.

And of course you never appreciated any action shots of Pat White and Steve Slaton in low light taken with Canon 1D with 400mm f2.8 at wide open aperture at iso 3600 at of 1/200o sec.

And if I handed you one of my cameras, you wouldn't know what to do with it other than the "Auto" mode where you'll get nothing but blurry out of focus pictures.

And, no, I don't care how hard you insist it is. It isn't. Photography is for upper middle class people and hipsters who need to feel like they are fantastic artists.

Many photogs including myself claim we take pictures not an artist.

Carry on.

Actually its quite easy. You just wouldnt know what to do with it.

Hand him your medium format Hasselblad...

I used my friend's when she came out here to visit and damn that thing is beautiful.

Takes some getting used to though, I've been using my medium format Yashica mat for a year+ now and I'm still rocky with the horizon lines.

I'll have to post my street photos from it to please WVU

Hand him your medium format Hasselblad...

He wouldn't know to remove the dark slide nor know how to properly load the film Mag, let alone work the leaf shutter.

Yup...just press the shutter button.

I used my friend's when she came out here to visit and damn that thing is beautiful.

Takes some getting used to though, I've been using my medium format Yashica mat for a year+ now and I'm still rocky with the horizon lines.

I'll have to post my street photos from it to please WVU

You got a dark room?

You got a dark room?

No =\ maybe later...been blowing my money on developing. If it's something good, I'll send it to RPL in LA. If it's whatever, I have a lab in SF I drop it off to.

Except now I have a bunch of exposed film sitting around that needs some attention.

No =\ maybe later...been blowing my money on developing. If it's something good, I'll send it to RPL in LA. If it's whatever, I have a lab in SF I drop it off to.

Except now I have a bunch of exposed film sitting around that needs some attention.

I will give you all my darkroom stuff if you want. When I come see your boss man.

And of course you never appreciated any action shots of Pat White and Steve Slaton in low light taken with Canon 1D with 400mm f2.8 at wide open aperture at iso 3600 at of 1/200o sec.

Darn. Care to post one of these photos?

Also, where would you all recommend that I buy my lenses from? Probably going to get a 50 mm f1.8 for an upcoming trip and maybe a telephoto lense here soon.

Darn. Care to post one of these photos?

I don't have any WVU football pictures. But below is a picture taken by Houston Photographer Thomas Campbell - a good Aggie using a Canon 1D Mark IV and 400mm f2.8 lens from 30 yards away from Johnny Manziel in Rice game. At iso 400 at shutter speed 1/1600 sec. Blurred background is called "bokeh" a term defined as quality of blurriness in out of focal length background. It can be achieved mostly at wider aperture.

money_shot.jpg

Also, where would you all recommend that I buy my lenses from? Probably going to get a 50 mm f1.8 for an upcoming trip and maybe a telephoto lense here soon.

I buy from eBay, B&H, and Craigslist. And I don't believe 50mm f1.8 makes for a good travel lens with a cropped body as its' adjusted focal length will be 75mm on a Nikon?

For a starter, I like Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. I think either one of those will provide high quality photos.